JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently decided I need to start consolidating my calibers a bit. I have decided I want to have one caliber that is my primary caliber of choice.

After a bit of think I have decided that caliber will be .40S&W for me. Why? Because it is a powerful round and I am very competent with it. It is also available in such a wide variety of firearms that I feel that I can fill almost every niche with that caliber.

This is how I have ended up covering my bases with the .40S&W round...

Light Work Carry: Kahr PM40

Heavy Work/Summer Carry: Glock 27

Winter Carry: Sig P229 Elite

Glove Box Backup: Springfield XD-40SC

Survival Bag Gun: H&K USPc Bi-tone

This way I feel I can start stocking one primary ammo more than the others. I can also just keep a couple bozes of .40S&W in my survival bag in my trunk and I will have ammo for what-ever gun I happen to have on me at the time.

Don't get me wrong. I will still stock other caliber ammo and keep other caliber guns. I am a firm believer of having a little of everything. You always need to have a gun that will work with whatever ammo you are likely to find in a rough spot. It is just that now I can train with and keep available to myself a standard.

Anyone else do this?

I started thinking about this a year ago. My conclusion was the 9X19MM do to the fact it is a common round and the primary handgun caliber for law enforcement. IMHO.

I have a few preferred calibers, but I can't seem to always stick to my own guidelines.

I love the .45 ACP and 99.9% of the time that's my carry gun.

I also love the 30-06. (am in the market for two bolt actions for my nephews in that caliber, one right, one left). I USUALLY hunt with one. My uncle and cousin hunt with them. I bought my Dad one. Argue what you will, we all know that for deer, elk and black bear it will do a dandy job.

The line of thought is common calibers...

But then I might carry a .41 MAG in the woods. (like that's common!)
Also, my .375 Ruger is a tool that I don't mind soaking in snow and rain, nor giving the stock a few hard knocks. The question of enough power is moot on this continent, period.

For the wife I made different choices.

A .45 is way too much for her, and she really prefers a revolver. So, .38 Special it is. But that's pretty common.

A 30-06 would likely knock her end for end. I chose a 7mm-08. Great cartridge, but not as common as others.

It's like the old Lay's potato chip commercials. You can't have just one!

I've done the same thing.

I much prefer .45ACP. So most of my competition pistols and PCC shoot .45. I'm all setup for reloading and it's a pretty forgiving round.

For carry, I'm all over the place. I've got .380, .40, and .45 depending on the size of the pistol.

Rifle is easy....223 and .308. Anything else is a small caliber stash for some unique things (7.5x55 Swiss, 7.62x39, 8mm Mauser, 5.7x28 etc.)

And of course...22LR and 12 Gauge.

Although, I have very much contemplated going to a 2 rifle/2 pistol setup just to simplify things.

I consolidated down to 9mm and .45

9mm for inexpensive range use, easy of shooting, and high capacity.

.45ACP better recoil than .40, low capacity, but with lots of knock down punch... besides, some pretty cool guns shoot .45s :D:s0155:

But if you want to only have one caliber between the 2, .40 is great. You get a great self defense hit, good capacity, and close to 9mm in price and availability.

After deciding that 9mm wasnt for me all I own (handguns) are 45 acp. As far as rifles, I have 1 223 AR and all the rest are 7.62x39. Makes it alot easier to keep track of how much ammo I have.

Primary caliber for me 45 ACP and variants:

Handgun 45 acp
Handgun 45 Super
Carbine 460 Rowland

Other calibers:

380 bug
22lr
12 guage

I reload for the 45 variants and 460 Rowland out of the Carbine is plenty potent at 1990fps 185gr JHP 1667ft/lb's. Yeah I'm a cheap and simple kind of guy. I think it's a real handy idea to have one primary caliber. My evolution started with the 1911 chambered in 45 ACP of course, which is my favorite shooter.

Playboy I think you need one of these in your collection: http://www.mechtechsys.com/ You can trick them out anyway you want or keep it simple as I did. I just added a Bushnell reddot.

Rather than one, I went with primary/secondary. I have gotten out of many calibers, even though it doesn't seem like it. I don't worry about stock of ammo for the "others", although I don't expect to run out any time soon.

Primary handguns

Carry: 9mm
Woods: .44 Mag/Special
Others: .38/.357/.22/.380/.45ACP

Primary Rifles

Social Work: 5.56 NATO
Hunting: .30-06
Others: .308/.243/.257 Roy/7mm-08/.22

Bob

Good thread; caused me to stop and think about it.
I'm going with .45ACP and 30.06, with 12 guage added. And maybe a .223.
But there has to be a place for a .22 also.
Don't think I can yet let go of the .40 and 9mm and the .380, but I'm thinking more about it.
There is a lot to be said for consolidating.

I agree, it is a good thread. I have been doing this over the last year. Trying to get down to S&W 40 cal, 308, 12 gauge, and 22 LR. I'm almost there, but I still have visions of an AR floating around in my mind. I guess I could get an AR chambered in 308. There we go, I should do that. Now to just get it past the wife. It would make an awesome x-mas gift. :yes:

I've tried this, but made very little progress... I've narrowed handgun calibers to 9/40/45/357m... eliminating one so far, .380. I have one G32 in .357sig, and when I shoot out the last 200 rounds of that ammo that I have on hand, I'll switch it over to .40sw and not buy any more .357sig. In terms of quantity, I'd say I've focused on 9 and .40.

With rifles I'm trying to own only three primary calibers; .223, 7.62x39, and .308 - with .22lr and 12ga as ones I don't stock in bulk. So all of my bolt actions are in those primary calibers also. With my primary three calibers I can get decent ammo in bulk quantities, and it keeps things simple.

I'm still fighting the urge to get a 30/30, and I did break down and get a .44magnum a couple of months ago. But neither of those would be rounds I stock in any quantity.

Let's see - what do I have? .380acp, .38spl, .357mag, 9mm, .45acp, .22lr, .223/5.56, 7.69x39, 30-30, 30.06, 6.5 Carcano, .410ga & 12ga.

If I was smart, I'd get rid of the .380acp, choose between 9mm & .45acp, get rid of 7.62x39, 30-30, 6.5 Carcano & .410ga. However, there are various reasons I have all of these calibers (inherited guns, unusual guns I hate to get rid of, etc.) so it's unlikely I'd shed these calibers.

If it weren't for that fact, I'd be perfectly happy w/ .38spl/.357mag, 9mm or .45acp, .22lr, .223/5.56, 30.06 and 12 ga.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top