JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Please post here instead of sidetracking other peoples' threads.
Your theories may have merit or may not, but let's try to keep them within a topical thread and not plastered all over unrelated threads.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist. - Eisenhower, farewell speech from office
It's not just the military, it's man's lust for power.
Now you want to talk about America's capitalist military ? Take a close look at China's military, perhaps their largest, capitalist corporation.

A boon for preppers and militia members alike is the fact of overly large contracts on equipment and certain gear that ends up being pug on the commercial surplus market, due to many factors, changing of colors, specifications, or simply reducing amount of stock.... :rolleyes:

Imagine if shops were forced to mass produce items without being compensated for the labor and materials... surely that would mean even less incentive for people to work for the State ;)

Just in case anyone did not see the other threads before they were cleaned up, I should explain the context. "America and the capitalist military" is not a phrase that I endorse or support. That is the theme of many posts that were interjected in other unrelated threads, which was not the place to start a political discussion. I am suggesting that those people who want to discuss their opinions do so in a different thread on that topic instead of sidetracking everyone else's threads. Of course the mods might decide this topic is not a NWFA topic and lock it, but it is only a suggestion.

Cue Black Sabbath and War Pigs.....:D
Andy
I'll say it. I agree with most of what that dude said.

I don't see the point in any war we have fought in since the 1800s.

Just to add a little local flavor :)
Pig War
Description
The Pig War was a confrontation in 1859 between the United States and United Kingdom over the British–U.S. border in the San Juan Islands, between Vancouver Island and the State of Washington. Wikipedia

Period: June 1859 – October 1859

While I have no love for war...
I have been to a few...the "point" can vary with each individual that experiences war.

I know what I have done in war has both taken lives and saved lives....those whose lives , that have been saved by my actions , may be of a different mindset than relatives , of those who have lost their lives , due to my actions...
Who has the greater or better point..?
Those who survived , those who died / relatives of the dead ...or me...?

As said by Sam Fuller....
The only glory in war is surviving.
Andy

I'll admit to being a war-hawk in my youth.

As I've gotten older... as my sons have gotten older... I'm much less impressed with our nation-building and so-called Endless Wars than I used to be. I was waaay more willing to fight than I am to subjecting my own kids to it. Barring an actual crisis, I'd just as soon my boys didn't join the military.

Yes, of course, I'd be incredibly proud of them (a long line of USN, USA, and USMC personnel proceed them, alive and also not... goes back to the Revolutionary War) but the "military industrial complex" is real. The self-sustaining and self fulfilling mission of the military (according to the fruit-salad wearing, high muckity-mucks in DC) has become, for lack of a better word, commercial.

I still won't, and never will, allow someone in my presence to talk s**t about our military in general terms without a strenuous (and probably LOUD) rebuke. But there are definitely decisions made by the upper echelons of power in the last 20 yrs or so that make me question (or, more correctly, outright reject) their notion of "projection of power".

Yes, I did serve. Wpns Co, 3rd BN/7th Marine Expeditionary Unit out of 29 Palms. Not exactly REMF duty... honorably discharged.

No, thank YOU for allowing me the honor of serving my country. It was indeed my pleasure, Sir, Madam, or Small Child.

Last Edited:
War...what's it good for...absolutely nothing...so says Edwin Starr.

To add to the butchers bill or even just to see the cost and waste of war , both of which I have done...does not endear me to the idea of war.

That said...
War is necessary at times....two of mine were so called Peace Keeping tours.
One in Bosnia and the other in Somalia ...in each place I both saved and took lives...
I also feel that it was indeed necessary to be there...
To see first hand what the phrase Ethnic Cleansing really means , first hand...and actually have a chance to make a difference there , means a lot to me.

Now I am not talking about the whole overall effect of our presence in those places or the reasons behind the "Why'...
But to the people that I helped train or helped evacuate , to the food and medical supplies that I guarded , to the lives that I safeguarded by my skill as a Rifleman and a Small Unit Leader...A difference was made...an immediate difference , one that might have meant life or death....that to me , at least , is and was , worthwhile...And not something that I take lightly or am happy to hear folks disparage.
Andy

WAR should only ever be used as a last ditch solution to a break down in negotiations, never for aggression, or for any matters Not FOR the good of the State! Outside of that, peace keeping is, and should only be used with care and compassion, and any violence should be limited to "fixing" the root of the problem and to bring the involved parties to the table!
Unfortunately, our Military complex ever since JFK have largely been "police actions" and little else! The Balkans being the only legit peace keeping effort!
My first real experience was in Sarajevo as it was still being shelled and burned, and for the next three years, All I saw was heart break, pain , and immeasurable suffering, and we watched it all with our hands tied behind our backs because of a U.N. directive and senior commander with nefarious intent! Eyes were opened, and have remained open to this day! Fast forward to 2003 and our renewed "Police action" in Iraq, and our counter terrorist action in Afghanistan, both of which I took part in! Frustrating would be an understatement, WHY ARE WE HERE, it was such a common question from every one round, and yet no one could offer a reasonable answer.
What changed in way we "Do Business" since the 50's? Why is every thing a "Police Action?" Why no real legit War? WHY ARE WE HERE?
I retired from 20 years serving, many of those years were done Down Range being shot at and having to shoot back, and all for what?
I have no regrets, no remorse, and no expectations for answers or absolution, I, like so many others, would simply like to know that what we did Mattered, had purpose, and benefited OUR country in a positive manor!

I will have to say that I appreciate that fact that our military is a huge deterrence against attack here at home. I'm not in favor of war mongering all over the globe for dubious or unknown purposes. I'm tired of our soldiers getting killed and maimed in the Middle East and for what? Spreading freedom? I know a guy whose son was killed in Iraq - what an incredible waste. And yes, there a people profiting from all of this.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top