JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Long term effect will be improved trigger and the magazine will drop free when you press the release. No downside whatsoever. I have several hipowers and it's the first thing I do. Google "remove magazine safety on hipower" or something like that and several good you tube videos will show you how. It's pretty easy but look at more than one video as some are more clear than others. Shoot it before you take the mag safety out and shoot it after you take the mag safety out and you will love the difference. You will have no chance in competition without removing it.

I have been considering removing the magazine safety to use the gun for competition And carry.

The only issue here that I see is the potential for abuse by a prosecuting attorney should you ever be involved in a shooting. Modified guns, much like hand loaded ammunition are negatives that can be manipulated to great effect in a jury trial.
The defendable response is that the modification was done to improve trigger pull and firearm control for use in competition... but doubt can still be a problem with a anti-gun bias jury.
All pure conjecture on my part of course... but something to consider.

Cheers,
C

I won't carry a gun with a mag safety if I can help it. I'm sure most of us who carry autos have at some point found their magazine release has gotten bumped either in the car or at some point, figure if that were to happen at the wrong time that first shot is still pretty important to me

So let's try some logic. The original intent of the magazine safety was to not allow the gun to fire without a magazine. Correct?

So if I remove it the gun will fire without a magazine. From a protection point of view I think it is safer. And when competing when I am asked to show clear, remove mag, hammer down and holster. I feel much safer, than putting what I think is a empty mag in to clear the gun. Plus which how many other guns operate without mag disconnects. Sounds like a stretch.

Personally I would go with remove the mag safety - an argument could be made in court an improved trigger pull is less likely to result in missing an intended target. CHP actually relies on the mag safety as part of their training. They train officers to drop the mag if involved in a struggle so they don't get shot with their own gun - isn't it better to train them proper firearm retention techniques?

Personally I think removing a safety item from any weapon could be a problem with a jury. I wouldn't do it although I might add a positive safety to a Glock. In fact the trigger safety and lack of a real safety is why I don't own a Glock.