JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a C&R license back in the roaring 90's when there was a surplus of surplus fire arms. Back then the Sheriff was the Cheif LEO I sent that part of the parerwork to.

I have no idea if a C&R matters in Wash. anymore, however in Oregon they may as well not be a thing at all. Laws have changed for the worse in the last few.

C&R license is Federal from the ATF and allows you to purchase C&R listed firearms from out of state and receive them by mail without having to go through a local FFL. (C&R is a type of FFL).

Back in the 80's and 90's there were huge quantities of surplus arms imported from other countries. I haven't really looked but I haven't really seen a lot of great C&R deals like there were in the old days. ($69 SKS's, $59 Nagant revolvers, etc.)

Do it. Fair warning it is the MOST expensive $30 I have ever spent. I sent my info into the County Sheriff. The wait time was about 1 month for me and this was last year around this time.

A gun does not need to be listed to be a C&R. They automatically achieve relic status at 50 years old. Guns younger than 50 can be curios by the ATF adding them to the list. It is a very useful license in Washington.

As mentioned, a C&R is almost worthless in the Beaver State now. Though good to hear it is still of value to our friends in the Evergreen State.

With respect to the CLEO copy:
  • I was told by BATFE that basically "if you called the police, who would show up?" If you live within city limits, likely the municipal police department. If in the country, probably the sheriff's office.
  • The three FFLs I've had (C&R and dealer), one went to a local police department, and the other two to a sheriff's office. Zero problems with any of them. I don't know if that part of the process added any time, but I never heard from the locals, and the licenses were approved in a reasonable amount of time. (And for NFA stuff almost all of them went to the sheriff's office. Again, zero issues.)
Anywho, happy collecting. :)

Send it to Sheriff Atkins since you're in Clark County. As for the wait time, my last C&R had lapsed so I had to apply for a new one, and it was surprisingly quick. I mailed my application in August of this year and it took two weeks or so to get back my license.

I'll throw my two cents in as well, as far as the CLEO its the person who heads the department you would go to turn your paperwork in for your CPL (at least in WA state).

As far as the C&R worth, let me detail a few points below:

- It will cause you to spend money (as one poster had stated).
- If you collect C&R's, it's worth its cost to have items shipped to your house. For example, two transfers of bolt action C&R's at my local FFL cost $15 each. With the the C&R, avoiding two of those pays you back.
- The C&R allows you to purchase direct from individuals, which saves time and complexity to purchase a eligible C&R.
- Companies such as Numrich Gun Parts and Century Arms provide C&R's with accounts discounts on items and with Century Arms, your eligible to purchases C&Rs direct and ammunition direct, you get better prices on surplus items then the general public.
- The C&R helps with the eligibility for the CMP and you can have M1 Garands shipped directly to your house from the CMP.

I think those points alone justify the C&R, but let me give you one word of advice. There are many arguments regarding if an item is a C&R, do your research and look at the various opinions. I'm not going to open up that argument, but for me I have a certain approach to cover my tail, so if I need to substantiate anything I purchased with my C&R, it's concrete with no question that it's a eligible purchase. Enough said on that.

Anyway, my two cents PM me if you care to discuss C&R philosophy.

Regards,

Scot

Send it to Sheriff Atkins since you're in Clark County. As for the wait time, my last C&R had lapsed so I had to apply for a new one, and it was surprisingly quick. I mailed my application in August of this year and it took two weeks or so to get back my license.
I reside in WA. Do I need to send application to WA?
Also, where would you go for prints?
Thanks

I reside in WA. Do I need to send application to WA?
Also, where would you go for prints?
Thanks
The form required for C&R is on the BATF website. That is filled out and sent in to the BATF with a courtesy copy provided to your local Chief of Police/Chief Law Enforcement Officer. WA state gets nothing and nothing with the C&R concerns them other than the copy provided to local law enforcement.

The form required for C&R is on the BATF website. That is filled out and sent in to the BATF with a courtesy copy provided to your local Chief of Police/Chief Law Enforcement Officer. WA state gets nothing and nothing with the C&R concerns them other than the copy provided to local law enforcement.
Thank you..!

Okay, so with the current legal framework in Washington State, wondering if the C&R license worth it. Could see some older handguns in my future:

Military_Transitional_Rig_A120172_I-760_00-rotated.jpg

Could I buy a 50+ year old German or Swiss military surplus gun like a Sig P49 from another C&R collector (not FFL) on GunBroker and have it shipped to my Washington State residence directly?

Okay, so with the current legal framework in Washington State, wondering if the C&R license worth it. Could see some older handguns in my future:

View attachment 1335856

Could I buy a 50+ year old German or Swiss military surplus gun like a Sig P49 from another C&R collector (not FFL) on GunBroker and have it shipped to my Washington State residence directly?
Yes, no issue receiving C&R eligible handguns in WA state by a C&R holder. As long as the shipper will ship directly to C&R and the magazines do not exceed the stupid 10 round limit you are good.

One last though, due to shipping restrictions for handguns the shipper may have to go through a FFL to ship the handgun. Happy to provide further detail. PM me if you want any more info.

Cheers.

Back when I gave up my FFL I considered getting a C&R license. But talking to friends who had them most told me stories of FFL holders refusing to accept or acknowledge the C&R licenses, so they had to either not buy, or still involve a FFL dealer.
I decided it wasn't worth it if so many FFL holders were ignorant about how a C&R license works.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top