Southwest Firearms
Sporting Systems
Gun Deals
Buster Beaver Cerakote
J&B Firearm Sales
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Reactions
Hello,

Ive thought about getting a C&R license for awhile now, and I have some questions. Im in Clark County, and where would one send the Chief LEO part of the application? And is there a very long wait time?

Thanks

Reactions
I had a C&R license back in the roaring 90's when there was a surplus of surplus fire arms. Back then the Sheriff was the Cheif LEO I sent that part of the parerwork to.

Reactions
I have no idea if a C&R matters in Wash. anymore, however in Oregon they may as well not be a thing at all. Laws have changed for the worse in the last few.

Reactions: GOG
Reactions
C&R license is Federal from the ATF and allows you to purchase C&R listed firearms from out of state and receive them by mail without having to go through a local FFL. (C&R is a type of FFL).

Back in the 80's and 90's there were huge quantities of surplus arms imported from other countries. I haven't really looked but I haven't really seen a lot of great C&R deals like there were in the old days. ($69 SKS's, $59 Nagant revolvers, etc.)

Reactions
Do it. Fair warning it is the MOST expensive $30 I have ever spent. I sent my info into the County Sheriff. The wait time was about 1 month for me and this was last year around this time.

As mentioned, a C&R is almost worthless in the Beaver State now. Though good to hear it is still of value to our friends in the Evergreen State.

With respect to the CLEO copy:
  • I was told by BATFE that basically "if you called the police, who would show up?" If you live within city limits, likely the municipal police department. If in the country, probably the sheriff's office.
  • The three FFLs I've had (C&R and dealer), one went to a local police department, and the other two to a sheriff's office. Zero problems with any of them. I don't know if that part of the process added any time, but I never heard from the locals, and the licenses were approved in a reasonable amount of time. (And for NFA stuff almost all of them went to the sheriff's office. Again, zero issues.)
Anywho, happy collecting. :)

Reactions
Send it to Sheriff Atkins since you're in Clark County. As for the wait time, my last C&R had lapsed so I had to apply for a new one, and it was surprisingly quick. I mailed my application in August of this year and it took two weeks or so to get back my license.

Reactions
I'll throw my two cents in as well, as far as the CLEO its the person who heads the department you would go to turn your paperwork in for your CPL (at least in WA state).

As far as the C&R worth, let me detail a few points below:

- It will cause you to spend money (as one poster had stated).
- If you collect C&R's, it's worth its cost to have items shipped to your house. For example, two transfers of bolt action C&R's at my local FFL cost $15 each. With the the C&R, avoiding two of those pays you back.
- The C&R allows you to purchase direct from individuals, which saves time and complexity to purchase a eligible C&R.
- Companies such as Numrich Gun Parts and Century Arms provide C&R's with accounts discounts on items and with Century Arms, your eligible to purchases C&Rs direct and ammunition direct, you get better prices on surplus items then the general public.
- The C&R helps with the eligibility for the CMP and you can have M1 Garands shipped directly to your house from the CMP.

I think those points alone justify the C&R, but let me give you one word of advice. There are many arguments regarding if an item is a C&R, do your research and look at the various opinions. I'm not going to open up that argument, but for me I have a certain approach to cover my tail, so if I need to substantiate anything I purchased with my C&R, it's concrete with no question that it's a eligible purchase. Enough said on that.

Anyway, my two cents PM me if you care to discuss C&R philosophy.

Regards,

Scot

Reactions
I never has an 03 because I always done good on the street, back in Kali when there was C&R Cash & Carry. Plus I like to handle a purchase if feasible. PAX

Let Freedom Ring
Copeland Custom Gunworks
Southwest Firearms
Sporting Systems
Cerberus Training Group
Advertise on Northwest Firearms

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads