JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm considering the Beretta M9-22 .22lr with the 15 round magazine for a 22 pistol to shoot. Although it's not made by Beretta (it's made by Umarex in Germany) it is said to be like the Beretta 92SF in operation, weight and feel.

Even though I have a 92SF that isn't necessarily why I'm thinking about it though. I'm looking for a 22lr pistol to shoot. I'm also considering a Ruger Mk IV but I like that the M9-22 holds 15 rounds rather than the 10 rounds in the Ruger.

If anyone has one or has shot one, what are your thoughts on the M9-22?

Thanks

Mike

I too am in the market for a .22. Kinda narrowed it down to a Ruger MK IV, S&W M&P.22c or S&W Victory. Now I guess I gotta do more reading up on the "Beretta."
I do shoot .22 but in conversions atop my Sig 226 and Sig 220...as "practice" for the 9mm and .45.
I'd like a dedicated .22 and the Rugers get THE BEST write-ups, esp. the Mk IV as it's now a snap to take down. But, I got two really good .22s in the Sigs.

I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it. If it's cheap practice with the Beretta 92 platform then the Umarex is good. If it's for target work, I'm thinking the Ruger might be the winner...especially with all the upgrades available.

(If you check the Walther forum, there's a lot of folks there who really don't like Umarex for what they've done to the Walther brand. You might check the gun out there….or on the Beretta forum.)

So far, from the reviews and Youtube videos I've seen on it, it's more positive than negative about it. I'll mainly use it for plinking at targets. We don't usually change the targets out when my wife and I go shooting, as I usually put out a number of them on my home made stands at the beginning. Then just clean everything up when when we are done, so I wouldn't consider it serious target shooting.

The M9-22lr is cheaper than the Ruger MK IV Hunter (depending where I price them) but not by a whole lot. I like the 15 round magazine over the 10 round of the MK IV and I like the looks a bit better. I really need to find out if the local gun store where I've bought several of my guns carries it (I know they carry the MK IV) and take my wife in and have her see how well she can rack the slide on both of them and which feels better in her hand.

I don't think they are too common around here or at least on this forum. I went back a long ways in the classifieds and some of the other areas and found almost nothing on them, so I don't know if that's because it's just not worth getting or still relatively undiscovered and over looked..

Thanks for the comments.

Mike

I would go with a MK IV. If you're not afraid of actually following instructions when field stripping it, the lower numbers in the Mk series are just as good. The factor that would make me choose it over the Beretta is after market support and accessories. The Rugers come with included rails you can install and mount red dots or a scope. Grips, triggers, cheap and plentiful mags, etc., are all available from multiple sources. The Beretta is a big honking pistol whereas the Ruger is a very ergonomic piece of art, in my opinion anyway. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks for the comments, you make some good points.

I'm not really into modifications since I don't shoot enough to really need them (or think I need them) so why add the expense of the base cost. I have had my eye on the MK IV for awhile but have held off buying one but it is not ruled out by any means. I do have a Beretta 92FS 9mm already and I like how it shoots and feels, which is why I started considering the Beretta M9 22LR. If the M9 22LR has the same look and feel as my 92FS I know I'll like it... maybe, since it's not really made by Beretta. I've not found a negative review of it like there were for the other one that was made by Chipa something or nother.

It's a good thing I still have plenty of not so great shooting weather to think about it and maybe I'll get a chance to hold the Beretta, if I can find one in the local area, before I make up my mind.

Mike

I say go with the M9.

It is much lighter than a Ruger MKIII. I know because I have a MKIII, and they are very heavy. The 15 round mag's are awesome. The sight radius is great! They fit all my Beretta 92/96FS holsters. I did put a Vortex red dot on it, and it's a tack driver. They look cool - mine are the FDE. The trigger is great.

I am so impressed with the M9-22 that I went back to the store and bought a second one as a backup. I have put about 8,000 rounds through my M9-22 without any problems.

I have many pistols in many calibers, but the M9-22 is my "go-to" for a day of shooting. $20 for a brick, and it's a full day of fun! Try a day shooting 500 rounds of 9, 40, or 45, and you feel the pain of the ammo cost.

M9 040.jpg

Thanks for the comments, you make some good points.

I'm not really into modifications since I don't shoot enough to really need them (or think I need them) so why add the expense of the base cost. I have had my eye on the MK IV for awhile but have held off buying one but it is not ruled out by any means. I do have a Beretta 92FS 9mm already and I like how it shoots and feels, which is why I started considering the Beretta M9 22LR. If the M9 22LR has the same look and feel as my 92FS I know I'll like it... maybe, since it's not really made by Beretta. I've not found a negative review of it like there were for the other one that was made by Chipa something or nother.

It's a good thing I still have plenty of not so great shooting weather to think about it and maybe I'll get a chance to hold the Beretta, if I can find one in the local area, before I make up my mind.

Mike

Mike,
We stock the M9-22, you're more than welcome to stop by sometime and take a look to see if you like it.

Thanks for the info, Grandpaknowall and the picture.

Matt, I was looking at the listing you have on Armslist last night and went through the whole list and had just about given up hope when I saw you had it listed at the bottom of the very extensive list of guns. I've been planning on giving you guys a call but now that I know you have it I'll bring my wife with me so we can both see how it feels. Thanks for letting me know.

Mike

I'm considering the Beretta M9-22 .22lr with the 15 round magazine for a 22 pistol to shoot. Although it's not made by Beretta (it's made by Umarex in Germany) it is said to be like the Beretta 92SF in operation, weight and feel.

Even though I have a 92SF that isn't necessarily why I'm thinking about it though. I'm looking for a 22lr pistol to shoot. I'm also considering a Ruger Mk IV but I like that the M9-22 holds 15 rounds rather than the 10 rounds in the Ruger.

If anyone has one or has shot one, what are your thoughts on the M9-22?

Thanks

Mike
I like the Beretta 92 and almost bought that 22LR and then learned that it was not a Beretta.
I wouldn't let the 10rd vs. 15rd alter my decision.
The Ruger Mark_ is a good gun.

I went with the P226 Elite in 22LR ($600) and have a 9mm conversion kit ($200 like new) for it.
Two nice pistols in one for $800.
The other combo that I would entertain is the CZ Kadet/CZ 75B

I thought about the conversion kit for my Beretta 92 but when you consider the cost for it, I might as well buy a dedicated 22 and not have to convert the 9mm back and forth. I do find that the 15 rounds over the 10 does mean something. I find when I shoot my revolvers that 6 shots are just not enough and I know with the next to nothing recoil of a 22 that the more I can shoot at one time the better. Although when it's my wife's turn, fewer rounds probably would be better so it would be my turn sooner. :)

I keep telling myself there's no hurry, it's raining outside and something else may come along that gets my attention. Don't ask how that's working for me. LOL!

If my Springfield XD 9 would sell, I'd get one or the other right away but if it doesn't sell, I'll just tuck it away and wait a few months to get a 22.

Mike

On sale now at a great price.

I love my Beretta M9 .22

15 round mags too

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class