JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a Beretta M9-22 .22lr pistol a couple of months ago and this last Friday was the first time I got a chance to shoot it. My wife and I put about 150 rounds through it and didn't have any issues at all (not that I was expecting any) while we were shooting it.

It shot well and since it was just a .22lr it was easy to shoot. I didn't really have any problems with the ammunition even though it was a cheap box of 500 Remington 22 Thunderbolt. I did notice some particles of what I assume was unburnt powder hitting my face around my safety glasses a few times. I also noticed a number of low power rounds, although everything shot did make it out of the barrel ok. :)

I've not shot a 22 pistol in a long time, rifles yes, but the last 22 pistol I shot was my Ruger Blackhawk I had back in the 70's and I didn't get to shoot it that much before I sold it to my uncle when I was sent to Germany. Although the Beretta shot very well, there were to things I noted while shooting it.

One, it's a pain and takes up a lot of time putting 15 .22lr bullets in the 5 magazines I have. It's a good thing the Hilljak Quickie Loader I have for our S&W .380EZ magazines also works on the Beretta 22 magazines. I just slipped it over the top and it was easy to hold the the follower pin down as I dropped in the .22 rounds. It made it easier, but it still took a while to get them all re-loaded.

The other thing I noticed, probably because I've been shooting 9mm, .380, .38 and .357 guns that the .22 just seemed a bit under whelming. After shooting the 150 rounds through it I was glad to get back to my Beretta 92fs and the S&W .380EZ that we also brought with us during this session. I guess the .22 just isn't as much fun as it was when I was younger or maybe I'll need to shoot it a lot more to enjoy it as much as my other guns. Or maybe I need to get 10 more mags so I don't have to spend so much time reloading. LOL!

It's a nice gun, well balanced and works like my Beretta 92fx and seems to be well made. Although it wasn't all that exciting to shoot this time, it will still be in the bag when we go shoot the other guns.

Mike

Here is a picture of the M9-22 before I shot it and of the magazine loader I use.

Beretta-Mag.jpg

M9-22lr1468.jpg

Mike

The good thing about .22 cal pistols is the ease of use and introducing new shooters and the important one of cheap repetition to drill into our minds form and technique.

Looks like a dandy pistol for those who have the same style in larger caliber. Cheap fun practice. As another poster mentioned to they are grand for teaching a new shooter. When you get a chance to take a newbie out let them play with the .22 version first. Then let then try the big brother. Often helps a hell of a lot to let them start with a .22 to get their feet wet.

A 22 a brick of ammo or two with enough targets to keep you happy is my all time favorite thing to do.

CCFD0B93-0A54-4EFE-8F24-6DE84DE7C9AB.jpeg

I bought a Beretta M9-22 .22lr pistol a couple of months ago and this last Friday was the first time I got a chance to shoot it. My wife and I put about 150 rounds through it and didn't have any issues at all (not that I was expecting any) while we were shooting it.

It shot well and since it was just a .22lr it was easy to shoot. I didn't really have any problems with the ammunition even though it was a cheap box of 500 Remington 22 Thunderbolt. I did notice some particles of what I assume was unburnt powder hitting my face around my safety glasses a few times. I also noticed a number of low power rounds, although everything shot did make it out of the barrel ok. :)

I've not shot a 22 pistol in a long time, rifles yes, but the last 22 pistol I shot was my Ruger Blackhawk I had back in the 70's and I didn't get to shoot it that much before I sold it to my uncle when I was sent to Germany. Although the Beretta shot very well, there were to things I noted while shooting it.

One, it's a pain and takes up a lot of time putting 15 .22lr bullets in the 5 magazines I have. It's a good thing the Hilljak Quickie Loader I have for our S&W .380EZ magazines also works on the Beretta 22 magazines. I just slipped it over the top and it was easy to hold the the follower pin down as I dropped in the .22 rounds. It made it easier, but it still took a while to get them all re-loaded.

The other thing I noticed, probably because I've been shooting 9mm, .380, .38 and .357 guns that the .22 just seemed a bit under whelming. After shooting the 150 rounds through it I was glad to get back to my Beretta 92fs and the S&W .380EZ that we also brought with us during this session. I guess the .22 just isn't as much fun as it was when I was younger or maybe I'll need to shoot it a lot more to enjoy it as much as my other guns. Or maybe I need to get 10 more mags so I don't have to spend so much time reloading. LOL!

It's a nice gun, well balanced and works like my Beretta 92fx and seems to be well made. Although it wasn't all that exciting to shoot this time, it will still be in the bag when we go shoot the other guns.

Mike
You mentioned "cheap" Remington thunderbolt. I have also read other comments on NWF that were not complementary to Thunderbolt.
I like the M9-22 so much that I own two. One as my primary, and one that has never been shot - It's my backup, in case Beretta stops manufacturing this limited run.
I installed a Vortex Viper red dot on my M9-22 and it changed the weight of the slide so much that FTF's happened with every Magazine. I started trying different brands of ammo. Hell, I tried them all. Remington Thunderbolt will cycle my Pistol EVERY time with no malfunction! Thunderbolt is the only 22LR I will load into my M9-22. My two cents.

I used the word "cheap" because it was inexpensive compared to buying 500 rounds of another brand at the time. I haven't fired enough .22lr recently to really tell what is good, bad or just plain ugly to shoot. I figure for plinking and casual target shooting, just about anything will do, with the only concern is to stay away from the really dirty stuff.

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I took the M9-22 back up to shoot, but we were shooting directly into fairly gusty winds up at Wolf Creek and had problems with accuracy with the .22lr and the .380, what with the wind blowing the bullets and my target stands. Our 9mm did a lot better but it was still a challenge. I still need to get more magazines though for the M9-22. :)

Mike

I used the word "cheap" because it was inexpensive compared to buying 500 rounds of another brand at the time. I haven't fired enough .22lr recently to really tell what is good, bad or just plain ugly to shoot. I figure for plinking and casual target shooting, just about anything will do, with the only concern is to stay away from the really dirty stuff.

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I took the M9-22 back up to shoot, but we were shooting directly into fairly gusty winds up at Wolf Creek and had problems with accuracy with the .22lr and the .380, what with the wind blowing the bullets and my target stands. Our 9mm did a lot better but it was still a challenge. I still need to get more magazines though for the M9-22. :)

Mike
Mike,
Gun mag warehouse has'm in stock.$28.
They are great to do business with.
Best,
Gary

.22 pistols are some fun got my first one earlier this month: a Ruger Standard made in 1950 with red eagle grips.
Tried my buddies Mark IV with a longer barrel and better sights but shot mine from 1950 twice as good!(still don't know how that happened)
I was surprised by the reliability with cheap bulk ammo. Planning on getting one of the 15 round beretta 92-22's sometime after I get a beretta 92 in 9mm or .40

I know this tread is over a year old, but to me, the real value of the M9-22, is that it's an excellent trainer if you already have a centerfire M9. Best way to get realistic training (same size, controls, etc) while doing it on the cheap (at least before COVID).

Newbie purchased one today, really looking forward to this one.

Thank you for the review thread.

I'm sure I am over 1k by now. I have had some FTEs and I'm sure a few FTFs (rare). Over all, it's a very reliable pistol, so far so good.

I shot 235 rounds today, not a single issue. I probably had at least 200 rounds worth of crud in the pistol before I shot it today.

AFE70A56-CA27-496D-9203-C7E026BB6F12.jpeg AC075B68-952E-4272-93E5-94AF7D1B8CBA.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top