JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lately I've been thinking it would be fun to have an SKS. They seem to be available, and the price range is all over the place. For example, Local shops seem to have yugos for as much as $499, and one place said they sometimes sell (what I assume is a Norinco) for as little as $179. One shop I called said they had one for $399, and when I said I was looking for something cheaper, he said, "oh they don't come cheaper than that". Yeah right dude.

Now, I'd like to avoid buying a Chinese rifle, but I guess I would consider one. I don't care a whole lot about the condition- but something decent and reliable would be nice. It doesn't have to be all matchings #s, since I just want something relatively cheap.

I'd also consider a private party sale but I need to familiarize myself with the details on how to do that... but that's another topic altogether.

Anyway, if i want a cheap sks, should i be looking for a norinco? What are the basic things I should look at? Do they have common problems that sks owners are aware of?

edit: I just realized this should probably be in the rifle discussion section. Sorry. I'm new. :)

Thanks everyone

I just sold a pair of norinko sks's for $150 each.
They can be had now for $200-$300 or more if it's a nice russian model.

Personally, I'd take my time and shop around for a norinko in the ~$200 range. They're great guns, but it's not worth spending more than you have too.

Exactly. I just need something that works, shoots straight and is reliable. For that (relatively) cheap, I don't expect it to be perfect.

thanks

Yeah, prices are all over. At least you understand when people are full of crap. Norincos are a good value in my opinion. Like MrNiceGuy said around $200 is a good target price range.

Private party sales are easy. Find someone in the same state. Meet and trade money for the gun. Most people will require at a minimum a driver's license. Some people want a bill of sale but it's not required.

Ive seen them around 200$ but i have also seen aks come up for cheap i sold my last wasr for 325$ and bought century built ak74 for 425 with 350 rounds and two mags. I too was considering an sks but figured i would spend the money and get the ak. ammo is cheaper but no possibilities for reloading.

Here's a weird thing, how do you politely determine the gun's origin? I mean, I don't want an illegal gun or something that was used in a crime, obviously. I know OR has a phone number where (I guess it's the OSP) can check the serial number. Is that a common practice? It's kinda scary to just take someone's word that the rifle is not stolen or whatever.

Like the guy I saw on Craigslist selling a new 454 Casull for 300 bucks. Alarm bells ring. Lol

Here's a weird thing, how do you politely determine the gun's origin? I mean, I don't want an illegal gun or something that was used in a crime, obviously. I know OR has a phone number where (I guess it's the OSP) can check the serial number. Is that a common practice? It's kinda scary to just take someone's word that the rifle is not stolen or whatever.

Like the guy I saw on Craigslist selling a new 454 Casull for 300 bucks. Alarm bells ring. Lol

Yeah, if something doesn't feel right, avoid it. I also wouldn't buy a gun off Craiglist. Too much vermin there for my liking.

FTF transactions are a matter of trust (or calling and checking the serial). I've had good luck with FTF transactions. This board is a pretty good place to look around where you are. Everyone I've met through transactions here has seemed to be good and reputable. Can't say that about Craigslist.

Just thought I'd chime in, I have put about 1000rds through my sks, mostly cheap russian stuff. I have had 0 problems other then some minor ammo related stuff(not the guns fault). For a cheap semi auto rifle they are a great deal and are fun to shoot. Won't shoot like an AR but they do shoot well enough, I'm down to 2 MOA on mine.. not great but not bad either.

cheapest semi auto rifle you can get next to a 10/22. their simple design makes them ultra reliable. last sks i sold was $230, but folks are starting to want more for them. be patient and you'll find a good deal here. buying on the forum ensures you have a paper trail from the seller. but i imagine most people here are smarter then to sell a hot firearm on a public forum... most

Unlike lots of other Chinese junk, Chinese firearms are top notch, AKs and SKSs both. Commercial Chinese rifles like Norincos are the least expensive these days, followed closely by Yugos. If I had two choose between the two, I would rather own a Chinese. Fortunately, I don't have to choose, so I have both :) .

Edit: Oh yeah Checker, I see that you asked about problems. Keep the bolt internals clean, as the firing pin is floating. It should rattle when shaken. Also, make sure the gas system isn't corroded by a previous owner not cleaning it after shooting corrosive ammo through it. Other than that, its a very simple, rugged rifle. Tough to break.

Edit edit: See here for more information: http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/ Note that there are links at the top right of the page that show you disassembly of the rifle, bolt, etc.

Keith

Edit: Oh yeah Checker, I see that you asked about problems. Keep the bolt internals clean, as the firing pin is floating. It should rattle when shaken. Also, make sure the gas system isn't corroded by a previous owner not cleaning it after shooting corrosive ammo through it. Other than that, its a very simple, rugged rifle. Tough to break.
Keith

very true. i never experienced a slam fire, but they can happen with a neglected rifle. i also had an operating rod break on me during rapid fire, effectively making it bolt action only. but it was a cheap easy part to replace. get one, there great. im partial to the para's myself

I will add more fuel to the fire.... I own 2... one standard thumb clip and one with ak style clip... I shoot both, and enjoy them. I take them out when the boy takes out my mini. Cant be the price per round for shooting that 7.62 shell. accuracy, well pretty darn good. The action seems loose compared to modern firearms, but I never have had a jam. Yes $200 is going price range for sks.... ak's are pushing $350+.

I love my Norinco SKS! Relatively accurate---more accurate than most AKs---and the SKS is the very definition of reliable. Be advised that there are two kinds of Norincos: used surplus ex-military ones with maybe mixed-up refurbish parts; and early commercial models specifically made NICE for the US sporting market---these are really fine! The commercial ones usually come with a styrofoam lined box and have beautiful blueing and decent wood; the surplus ones were sold in crates of ten or twelve and look used. Standard SKS have twenty inch barrels, "Paratrooper" models have sixteen inch barrels and are a little more rare. I would not hesitate to pay $300 for a clean commercial Norinco SKS---they are that good.

The Yugoslavian SKS are built a little different. They are heavier, thicker steel as the Yugo ammo is HOT; they are ALL used military surplus and may be built of refurbished mixed parts with iffy headspacing; they have goofy grenade launcher muzzle attachments and folding grenade sights, with a two-position gas block valve which can fail; and they do NOT have chrome-lined barrels. Still, people like the Yugos and pay more for them.

The key issue for both is whether they were cleaned soon after using corrosive ammo. It's not so crucial with a chrome-lined barrel, but even chrome gets eroded down the bore if not cleaned eventually. Be sure to use a bore light to examine the bore---it should be perfectly shiny without dark speckles. If you can, also take it apart and look into the gas tube for rust and crud. There's lots more to learn---as posted above that SurplusRifles.com/SKS is excellent. But just buy one, and you'll like it! I call it a minimalist industrial masterpiece design.........................elsullo

<broken link removed> Follow the directions, give them a call,, nothing to it.

As for worrying about buying a stolen gun, simply insist on a bill of sale for both of you and examine their ID to match it---this will scare criminals off. There are sample BOS forms posted above in the "resources" tabs. You can also choose to only deal with sellers with a Concealed Weapon Permit---and check it. This will weed out the riff-raff. Myself, I also exclude anybody with a tatoo on their neck, as they are either gangsters or young fools with poor judgement, in my opinion. No need to worry if you select who you want to deal with. And if the transaction or the person seems hinkey, just walk away.................................elsullo

As for worrying about buying a stolen gun, simply insist on a bill of sale for both of you and examine their ID to match it---this will scare criminals off. There are sample BOS forms posted above in the "resources" tabs. You can also choose to only deal with sellers with a Concealed Weapon Permit---and check it. This will weed out the riff-raff. Myself, I also exclude anybody with a tatoo on their neck, as they are either gangsters or young fools with poor judgement, in my opinion. No need to worry if you select who you want to deal with. And if the transaction or the person seems hinkey, just walk away.................................elsullo

Excellent advice.

Keith

One thing that nobody has mentioned is the large availability of spare parts and the ease of replacing most of them. Any mechanical device may eventually break - whether it is a $2,000 M1A or a $100 SKS (that's what I paid for mine during the 90's). So, I recommend that everyone should own a couple of SKS's. Mine are Chinese and I've never had a problem with them in around 20 years of using them.

I own two Yugo style. Love them. Some guys prefer the Chinese, some the Russian, some other flavors, but they are all mostly alike.

The advantage that some of the Chinese types is that they can use AK mags (is that the M?).....

Don't try to make them something more than they are (like an AK) and you'll be happy. They are great.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top