JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got stock polymer/plastic grips (not too comfortable but not bad), and Hogue rubber grips (much better) for my 9mm High Power. Wondering how folks feel about hardwood grips w/checkering work. They look comfortable (from BHSpringSolutions), I'm just wondering what the general feeling is about wood vs. polymer or rubber formed grips. Yes, I know, it's gonna only be me that will be the ultimate decider, but what I'm asking for is people who've used all or some of the above, how wood grips stack up. Are they comfortable after 50+ rounds at the range? Are they subject to slipping? Are they just an aesthetic improvement and tactical mistake? Any specific positives/negatives. You get the gist. This would be my first full-frame (in fact only) pistol with wood grips should I decide to get them.

Thanks

9mm Browning HiPower. Primarily intended as backup for a 12ga shotgun. Of course it could be the first line of defense, so, includes as much target practice as possible. Not asking for opinions, but experience with wood grips on a 9mm BHP. Target loads are 115gr FMJ, HD loads currently are 115gr FTX

I like walnut grips...
If you like the idea , I say get 'em and try 'em out.
How the gun fits and feels in your hand is what is important here...not how they work out for others.

As far as slipping..that all depends on the checkering...or lack thereof.
I swapped out the factory wood grips on my 1911 , 'cause even though they looked great...they were smooth and got slick when shooting....It now has checkered walnut grips.
Andy

The BHP fits most folks hands so well it might not make much difference. The original factory walnut checkered grips have always worked fine for me and of coarse look great . Some had hard plastic grips if there was going to be a traction concern that would probably be my last choice.

I'm not keen on the factory plastic grips on the HiPower, but they're slightly odd looking, so i'm curious what people like on the parkerized HiPower, what goes well with it?

For very nicely made grips, I can't say enough good about Altamont. Cheers. :)
Absolutely, they make some great looking quality grips.
GP100-2.jpg

Wood grips almost always improve the appearance of the gun. But for a self defense gun that's secondary to performance.

In my experience, I have wood grips on revolvers and a couple semi-autos like 1911s and CZs. Wood is generally less forgiving on recoil, which is not a major factor for a steel 9mm HP. The other issue is slipperyness. So that depends on checkering. Some wood grips are really slippery but some like the 1911s with heavy checkering are very gripping. So it just depends.

Enjoy!

I replaced the aggressively checkered stock grips on this 1911 with oiled walnut. I like the feel much better. The aggressive "tacticool" checkering actually detracted from my ability to handle the gun smoothly. The new grips do not get slippery, and they look a lot nicer.
GunInv2016-1911-4.jpg

I'm not keen on the factory plastic grips on the HiPower, but they're slightly odd looking, so i'm curious what people like on the parkerized HiPower, what goes well with it?

The vz or g10 style grips with that 2 tone scale look that are popular now in grey and black might look good on the parkerized Finish. But Ive not seen them for a HIPOWER

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top