JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Right now is the golden age of ARs so it's a great time to buy. I built my first ar last weekend and it took me about 2 hours for the lower and 3 hours for the upper. The hardest part for me was inputting the roll pin for the low profile gas block. You'd save a bit of money building it your self but there have been some good deals lately for a basic $500 ar15 new. I've bought one for my wife and then also built one cheaper with better parts like a stainless steel barrel, nickel boron bcg, and key mod hand guard for under $500. Probably spent $80 on tools though but at least they will be around and useful for cleaning and/or if I ever wanna upgrade. The only .22lr AR style rifle I'd recommend outside of a dedicated upper would be the SW M&P15-22. I shoot this thing the most out of all my guns and has been more accurate than my 10/22 or my buddies 10/22 that he has invested over a grand into. I've seen them online for only 300 and that's a bargain. Anyways, I'd recommend you just buy one now if you're on the fence deciding because the prices are at an all time low. Anyways, just my $.02 :)
eventually you'll be able to knockm out in 30min he he he

I'm a little late to this party, but I have several AR's in various flavors along with a Smith M&P 15-22. I do, indeed, have a 5k+ round stash of .22lr that I have built over the last few years (and no GB's or other sketchy ammo) so I can run it when I want to and not feel bad. It's actually one of my favorite rifles and I shoot it often. My others are of the centerfire variety and vary from 7.5" to 20" barrels. All of them are fun and I've enjoyed building them. Whether you choose .17HMR, .22LR, .22WMR, .223/5.56, .300 BLK, 6.5, .308, etc....I would recommend an AR platform because quite frankly they shoot comfortably and are fairly accurate. And yes, I have a 10/22, which sadly sits collecting dust.

If money grew on trees, I would have a .17 HMR and a .22WMR upper in my safe right now. But as things go, it's .22lr and .223/5.56 for me.

Last Edited:
I hope so. Twas the first time but we will see on my next one coming up. I'm definitely gonna order a roll pin holder.
i put my LP gas block in my plastic vise blocks and hold the rollpin with a set of needle nose and hit it once to get it started. i usually have the tube in there incase it drives in far enough past the tube. only "AR tools" i have are armorers wrench, upper vise block and BLUE TAPE everything else i would consider standard for any mans tool box(hammer, plastic hammer, needle nose, punches)

AR22 useful for .22lr Steel Challenge shooting, but I just can't justify shooting up all that hard to come by ammo. Back in the days of $12.50/500 bricks, sure, you betcha. Now I expend my .22lr at sage rats from my heavy barrel Ruger 10/22 with kevlar stock and trigger mod.

IMO, if the OP is interested in a black rifle, then get the full meal deal. Anything else is just a tickle.

I have a Ruger SR556 takedown on order. I figured I'd buy a nice one first, as I'll have it (hopefully) for a long time.

I went with the takedown version so that I can get the 300 blackout barrel for it. Basicly saving $1000 vs buying another rifle in 300.

As for a 22LR version, I hadn't given that any thought at all. I bought a 10/22 to get back used to shooting long guns, then have a plinker when I want.

I'm in a completely different boat. I'm actually acquiring parts for my first AR build right now. Little bit here, little bit there, as my budget allows. This method also helps me splurge on some items too (Barrel, BCG, etc).
In the end, I'll be about $900 into it, but it'll be my rifle, how I envisioned it, and with quality parts.
Sure, I could drop 5-600 and get a rifle ready to shoot, but I'd be compromising with what I want. I contemplated buying for the last 6 months. Disregarded the Ruger AR556 right way as it has some proprietary components. The M&P Sport II was mostly considered.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top