JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well let's see, where to start? First of all, at no time was any .22lr meant to be "tactical" As far as representing another firearm. Answer this. Why would a eastern European country train there military with a AK-22's before they issued them real AK-47's? This is a Romanian AK-22lr training rifle.

So why wouldn't any other military do them same thing with different rifles? Even the Germans make factory 22lr conversions for the HK 91 series rifles and all variants. It is cost effective to use them as training rifles. Our own US military had Colt make a 22lr. conversion for the M-16 rifle. There are many 22lr conversion for the AR-15 but the military had there own. Not only are they good training aids. They fill another nitch also. They are a good, quite small game hunting tool. A lot quitter than a .223 or a 7.63x39.

This is my AR-22lr I made from a 80% lower. I purchased a complete upper with a poly receiver. So both the upper and lower are poly. It also has a poly dust cover. With Black Dog poly mags, the rifle is very lite.

Then you contradict yourself by saying that a .22lr can not be tactical but you have a man crush on a HK22lr. So if they are a silly training aid, why do the Navy Seals have them?
Are you possibly Bipolar? Because you are not making any sense.

FYI............one of the highest end AR's also has a .22lr version.
<broken link removed>

Silly huh?

This may very well be the biggest douche bag reply ive seen in here for a while.

Im really impressed with your infatuation with .22, everyone needs a pasion........

Not sure what the attitude is all about, he asked for an opinion, I gave one. See at the bottom, where it says "just my 2 cents" it implies thats my opinion, and just my opinion, my 2 cents worth of contribution to the conversation.

Beyond that, I stand by everything I said.

If you shoot so much that you cant afford to shoot 5.56 when you do it, perhaps you should ask why youre doing it.

What value is there in training in a AR platform if it holds back every single feature that impacts accuracy and ability to control multiple round placements on target. Makes sense.

If you fight like you train, and you train at anything less than full condition exposure to your weapon of choice, then you are simply wasting time that could be spent learning your real rifle, its caliber, abilities, weakness and peculiarities.

Whats the point.

Also

Piss up a rope. :s0116::s0116::s0116::s0116::s0116:

:s0045:

Last Edited:
unless you have a 5,000 round stash that you have had for maybe 15 years. :rolleyes:

Why would you stash that much ammo for that long. Whats the point in sitting on 5000 22 rounds for 15 years?

You may want to rotate them out and shoot one of your tacticool 22 opr8r guns.

Youre obviously not a SEAL, I heard they use a lot of 22 when they train and you seem to have a surplus.

Well, well. Look who at the attitude you have? Just because you do not agree with "MY OPINION" and I do not agree with yours, you resort to name calling. +1 for you. I am not in any way infatuated with anybodies need to have a .22lr. All I did was rebut your post by showing that there is a place for these rifles whether you like it or not. Nobody is forcing you to accept what other "countries" do or other peoples opinion. You seem to be all butt hurt because the masses aren't agreeing with you. What kind of car do you drive vs. what kind of car I drive. We both have our reasons that I am sure are not the same. So your single opinion about this subject, I am sure is not everybody else's opinion. For the record, if you are holding the other end of the rope and I have had a few beers. Than yes I will give it a try. :s0133:

Why would you stash that much ammo for that long. Whats the point in sitting on 5000 22 rounds for 15 years?

You may want to rotate them out and shoot one of your tacticool 22 opr8r guns.

Youre obviously not a SEAL, I heard they use a lot of 22 when they train and you seem to have a surplus.

Hello................sarcasm.................hello.....................

What does Navy seal training have to do with what I own? I never once said I was a Seal. Where did that come from?

Let's all step back and take a breather, please. :)

In a similar position I've been looking at an Anderson lower for $50 and building my own, but a big part of that's for the experience, and the confidence of knowing every part of at least my lower inside and out because *I* put it there.

Here's a page at WikiArms with sub-$500 AR's that might be worth a look... and you older hands' assessments on each might be worth having.
In Stock AR15 Rifles | WikiArms AmmoEngine (https://www.wikiarms.com/group/ar15rifles)

A .22 is nice for "technique" when ammo is plentiful, but if you need iron in a Serious Social Work caliber and don't have it there's a good chance you'll never need it again. Go for Initial Operational Capacity on Home Defense first, gild the lily and add goodies after.

Thanks everyone for the input.

... Now... To convince the lady. If I buy an AR before we finish the payments on the dress... Anyone have room for a hard working fellow who can cook and mix drinks in their house? :s0105:

Well, well. Look who at the attitude you have? Just because you do not agree with "MY OPINION" and I do not agree with yours, you resort to name calling. +1 for you. I am not in any way infatuated with anybodies need to have a .22lr. All I did was rebut your post by showing that there is a place for these rifles whether you like it or not. Nobody is forcing you to accept what other "countries" do or other peoples opinion. You seem to be all butt hurt because the masses aren't agreeing with you. What kind of car do you drive vs. what kind of car I drive. We both have our reasons that I am sure are not the same. So your single opinion about this subject, I am sure is not everybody else's opinion. For the record, if you are holding the other end of the rope and I have had a few beers. Than yes I will give it a try. :s0133:

At first I got irritated that you accused me of name calling. Upon re reading my post I see that I did actually call you a douche bag.

I stand by that.

You can have your opinion man, I support that. It has nothing to do with the rampant doucheness that was the tone of your post.

Just my 1 cent, I refuse to waste more money.

Appeal to "safety"... how she trusts you to keep her safe and how while you would trade your life for hers, effective tools make it more likely that you'll get to stick around with her after the crisis passes. :)

At first I got irritated that you accused me of name calling. Upon re reading my post I see that I did actually call you a douche bag.
I stand by that.
You can have your opinion man, I support that. It has nothing to do with the rampant doucheness that was the tone of your post.
Just my 1 cent, I refuse to waste more money.

Your a big man huh? "I stand by that".......................please define "rampant doucheness"? The tone of my post is the tone YOU chose to read it in. I rebuted your post and now you are taking it as a personal attack. To show respect to the OP, I apologize that somebody on your thread has lost there temper. It must be a bad hair day. I hope your and your lady are happy and you should take care of her dress and then get toys....lol Or get a stripped receiver and build it later. Best of luck to you are your lady!

Guns are like shoes... different items for different situations, and much like how she has to have a different pair of heels for each outfit you need a different iron for each likely use.

Ya know, put it in terms she relates to. :)

Let's all step back and take a breather, please. :)

In a similar position I've been looking at an Anderson lower for $50 and building my own, but a big part of that's for the experience, and the confidence of knowing every part of at least my lower inside and out because *I* put it there.

Well, but the OP said that he is new to shooting rifles. I would not recommend a build it yourself AR to anyone as their very first rifle. Will this be your first rifle?

Here's a page at WikiArms with sub-$500 AR's that might be worth a look... and you older hands' assessments on each might be worth having.
In Stock AR15 Rifles | WikiArms AmmoEngine (https://www.wikiarms.com/group/ar15rifles)
https://www.wikiarms.com/group/ar15rifles

If he is on a tight budget and cannot afford any of the other brands that have been previously mentioned, then some of those might well indeed be worthwhile considering. How much of a budget does the OP have, though? His comments have been rather vague about how much he wants to spend.

These deals do show that one can get into an AR-15 for less than $500. So I think this is a good point to bring up. For at these price levels, how much could one really save by building it yourself?

A .22 is nice for "technique" when ammo is plentiful, but if you need iron in a Serious Social Work caliber and don't have it there's a good chance you'll never need it again. Go for Initial Operational Capacity on Home Defense first, gild the lily and add goodies after.

The OP has not mentioned home defense or serious social work, though. So is he looking more for just a plinking gun, a target shooting gun, or more?

At this point I think that the OP needs to chime back into the discussion.

Thanks everyone for the input.

... Now... To convince the lady. If I buy an AR before we finish the payments on the dress... Anyone have room for a hard working fellow who can cook and mix drinks in their house? :s0105:

If you are about to get married, or just got married, then no, I would not advise putting money into a rifle right now.

That could potentially open up a real can of worms.

Good points all around, Lance--we do need a bit more info from the OP before you guys can give best possible benefit from your experiences. Admittedly, I do bias toward "defense capability first" largely due to my own life experiences with an asshat stalker ex-of-an-ex...

As for me, not a lot of experience (between an 07/SOT friend checking me out on full-auto AK and Thompson and a Ruger 10/22), but... I've had a pattern of behavior going back to when I was a kid about preferring to build things rather than buy fully assembled, and I've been cramming on the USMC depot-level maintenance manual (I know there are differences between M16/M4 and semi-only AR), plus my old primary shooting instructor is a "build for fun" sort and has offered to talk me through the assembly process once I have parts.

In 99% of cases, you're not building one, you're assembling components. Some people don't have those skills, and if you don't know how to do basic mechanical functions like press in roll pins, turn a screwdriver, or clean a firearm, then you should probably just buy one off the shelf.

If you're really interested in 3 gun, then put together an AR that will give you a fighting chance to be competitive. Aero Precision makes great components at a competitive price point, and they're a PNW manufacturer. You can buy their enhanced lower and newer upper and match their hand guard to it. The Faxon GUNNER barrel was designed by a 3 gunner and it's an exceptional shooter at a very reasonable price. They're a sponsor over on AR15.com and have great reviews. Just be prepared that the members over there aren't all nicey nice like on this forum.

If you want a stock AR, then by all means buy one that way. You most likely won't be able to build one at the price you will pay for a basic model. But if you're going to improve it, why buy parts twice?

If you do actually buy or build an AR-15 or some other variant, may I suggest a
name for it?

Imagine the hours of fun taking "Hillary" to the range, and shooting her...
...often.

Well, but the OP said that he is new to shooting rifles. I would not recommend a build it yourself AR to anyone as their very first rifle. Will this be your first rifle?

If he is on a tight budget and cannot afford any of the other brands that have been previously mentioned, then some of those might well indeed be worthwhile considering. How much of a budget does the OP have, though? His comments have been rather vague about how much he wants to spend.

These deals do show that one can get into an AR-15 for less than $500. So I think this is a good point to bring up. For at these price levels, how much could one really save by building it yourself?

The OP has not mentioned home defense or serious social work, though. So is he looking more for just a plinking gun, a target shooting gun, or more?

At this point I think that the OP needs to chime back into the discussion.

For home defense we have our pistols. This would be more for hobby shooting than defensive purposes. We'll be buying a farm here in the foreseeable future, so possibly plan to use it for coyotes.

Thanks!
Are parts interchangeable on a "stock" gun like the pre built models you listed? Can I customize one of those to whatever degree if I buy one?
parts generally are interchangeable on a factory rifle with milspec parts. i would highly consider learning to build one though. much more cost effective to personalize it from the get go. $900-1200 is about the average i've built "good" rifles for. ofcourse ive built a few $2500 rifles too. just depends on inteded use and frequency of use i guess.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top