JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to get into the world of .308 carbine. But not wanting to spend more than 1000-1400 to start up. I can upgrade later but just want something basic to get started. I have my eye on the DPMS AP-4. Any suggestions? reviews?

looks like a fun carbine for the money. I believe it retails for about 1200 at most stores and some places a bit less. 'Used' I might be able to find one for just over a grand or so.

I have one as well. I am very happy--I have shot about 200 rounds or so of old South African Surplus and not a single problem. Also, in my opinion, they kinda are the 'standard' in AR 308 platform, for now...yes I do realize there is not a real standard yet for this platform. But at least you can usually find any part for DPMS pattern gun-- A big plus IMO. They don't look as sexy as some other brands, but they work well.

Just be prepared for crazy ammo prices. The cheap stuff is at least 40c a round right now, and match grade stuff is ridiculous.

PS,
there is a dealer doing a group buy for Mega stuff. He can get the MaTen 308 upper/lowers at a good price, but you would prolly go over budget, unless you finished a build w/ getting the rest of the stuff used.

I'm sure you can find one on Buds Guns online in your price range, I have a couple of different DPMS 308's in my shop, neither exceeds $1,000 before sales tax.

These have to be the slick side ones with no dust cover, forward assist, no sights, no free float barrels. Good guns but heavyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Good for bench shooters.

So is the AR platform inherently accurate or non accurate?
Better choice than the HKs or FALs?
Looking at the fact that a quality FAL or HK clone would be close in price

This of course for the 308 platform

So is the AR platform inherently accurate or non accurate?
Better choice than the HKs or FALs?
Looking at the fact that a quality FAL or HK clone would be close in price

This of course for the 308 platform

They are very accurate. The higher end AR .308's are advertised sub MOA by a few manufacturers. With floated hand guards and no gas piston on the barrel you do not get excessive barrel harmonics.

Yes, same old tale of more accuracy and less reliability right? I assume an FAL is probably more reliable as far as the tolerances go and the AR is more....for me ;) My bro-in-law has a FAL he wants to sell me and its an original FN but I want the AP4 baaaad. Thinking about diving in after work tonight. Can't find one for sale local though

These have to be the slick side ones with no dust cover, forward assist, no sights, no free float barrels. Good guns but heavyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Good for bench shooters.

Mine was $1050.00. Forward assist, 16" barrel, removable carry handle. less than a pound heavier than a RRA AR.

I went the FAL route prior to my AR308. It was a nicer one-factory built DSArms. I kept it less than a year. I don't know if it was any heavier than my DPMS, but it felt like it (Balance)? Also, the ergos on a FAL SUCK! The safety, mag release and grip don't feel nearly as nice as the DPMS rifles. Like mentioned above, they are also not a FF barrel. Furthermore, to mount an optic on the FAL, you change just a part on the upper that bolts on...total afterthought & is not a reliable solution IMO.The FAL has an adjustable gas block, which you may also have to fuss with each time you shoot different ammo. Its not a 'set and forget', at least in my experience. It would shoot S. African on one setting, but not Pakistani. BUT, the FAL does look badass.

rock river makes a very accurate ar style 308. I own a PTR-91 HK clone that will shoot handloads under MOA all day long. Good idea to try and shoot whatever your thinking of buying before you purchase. We have a indoor range in Eugene that lets you rent firearms to use on the range.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top