Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Consideration for a "pay it forward" section

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Silver Fox, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Tittle says it all.

A section in the classifieds where people can post things for free (and maybe the cost of shipping) just a pay a good dead forward.

Something to think over.

Have a good weekend.

SF-

2. Bend

Bend Central OR Member

I second the motion.

I have seen this done on other boards with a single thread of PIF. It just does not work. After 100+ posts, no one can keep up with the details. Its got to be a section. The one rule is that if you take something you have to give something(s) of equal value. The sooner the better.

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The problem with adding additional sections is they take additional bandwidth and server resources every single time the main page is loaded.

That said, there's obviously a time when an additional section is worth the additional resources, and this seems like it'd be one of them. I too have seen these types of sections on cigar boards and they seem to work really well. I want a bit more feedback from others before we create this to make sure it gets enough use to justify, but if the users want it, you got it.

4. bnr32gtr

bnr32gtr Vancouver, WA Member

I'm in agreement with Silver Fox and Bend on starting a section for this. I think it could work wonderfully. It should be monitored like other sections but there is a lot of merit to the idea.

Hey SF, wanna pay it forward with a FAL?! :D

5. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Not to worry we will "Pay it forward";)

6. jason97496

jason97496 Cottage Grove, Oregon Member

A section like this would quickly become the first section I look at every time I log on.

7. maxxborist

maxxborist Lynnwood, WA Member

i like the idea...i took advantage of one on another board and ended up giving away stuff as well.

8. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

I am glad there is some positive feedback.

Maybe a survey?

SF-

9. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If this keeps up, we won't need a survey. So far it's looking good ;)

10. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Well there is already a "free" prefix in all of the classified sections, that has worked so far for everyone else wanting to give stuff away.

11. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

I think this idea is a good one. Not only would the section be a good addition it would possibly bring in more members and more attention to the forum

12. DirtyDuck

DirtyDuck Salem New Member

My question is, what would be the difference between the free section in the classifieds and the pay it forward section. What is the difference between PTF and FREE?
    My 2¢

13. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Someone gives something to you, you give something to someone else, it's a Karmic balance thing.

14. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

It is a great idea. One mans junk is another mans treasure.

15. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

This is great! I was actually given a pretty nice (LH) holster and he wouldn't even let me pay for shipping (Thanks, Pease!!). On the other hand, I have a bag full of holsters and other goodies that I probably won't use, so I wouldn't mind passing some along. Good idea, although I don't believe in Karmic balance, I am more of a "do unto others" kind of guy.