JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there any law saying we must consent to ID when a LEO asks for it while fishing? Do we lose our right to privacy when fishing? I was curious because an officer asked me for my fishing license the other day and wrote down my ODL number that was on my fishing license.

Not sure why that's bad. All Oregon game wardens are also OSP. The likelihood someone from ODFW will come around and ask you for your fishing license is nill. So if an OSP officer approaches you for proof of license to fish, you best cooperate he/she is an OR game warden.

I understand proof of license to fish, but did he really have to write down my ODL and most likely did a check? And BTW I was the only one checked out of 20+ people fishing.

I understand proof of license to fish, but did he really have to write down my ODL and most likely did a check? And BTW I was the only one checked out of 20+ people fishing.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. I was close friends with a NV warden back in NV. They would spot check random folks all the time and take their infos. Mostly for the same reasons you have to report whether or not you hunted or were successful with a big game tag.

Are they collecting a database of those that are actually fishing. Highly doubtful. Mostly it's for statistics based off your address, which they either take from your fishing license, or from your drivers license. I'm no expert though, just familiar with a bit more due to my relationship with a NV warden, I could be full of turd, or OR could be completely different.

If you felt he was profiling you, well that sucks, I know the feeling. At least you were in the clear and that is that.

Who knows, maybe there is a link between those fishing illegally and other illegal acts...

In most states I've fished, you need to keep your license in plain view on your body above the waist. Some states (california is the key example) actually issues the license to your drivers license, so you only get a receipt for your fee payment. I'm not sure how that affects display of your fishing license.

It's also possible the other people there were already known to the officer. Generally, when fishing, hunting or doing any "normal" outdoor activity I have yet to run into some a-hole rule crazy fascist. I've even interacted with a few of the guys you see on whatever that nat-geo show about california game wardens, there is one guy who is notorious for being a PITA, but all I've seen is professionalism. My cousins did have a run-in with the one guy (he apparently decided to check some things on the family ranch after dark without even being so polite as to notify anyone) he was asked to leave and not come back.

I have even been searched by Federal Game Officers while Duck hunting (well the john boat we were on was searched) They had us unload our guns (they already were) and then they using our shells they attempted to put more then 3 rounds in the guns (we passed) they looked through our cooler and packs for Duck Breasts etc. (we passed) They were business like but polite. No biggy.

Maybe a high capacity reel perhaps ?
I found a pic. No wonder they stopped him

tRH2UAP.png

The regs say you must present your license to any game warden or ODFW official if asked, and since your license has identifying information on it, I'd say that means you've gotta ID yourself if they ask for your license. No requirement to show them your DL or other papers - but the law does say you have to present your fishing license / tags if asked.

I can only think of one time when a trooper actually wanted to see my license, usually they just ask if I have one, ask how the fishing has been, sometimes they even cough up info on how it's been for others they've observed or checked. Maybe I'm just lucky.

FYI I've also never had them say anything about my firearm while being contacted, as I open carry while fishing most of the time. OSP fish & game troopers, IMO are usually the best of the bunch from OSP. Down to earth guys and gals, most of them hunters and fishermen themselves, and aren't concerned with being tail light chasers or road warriors like their patrol counterparts. It's also been my experience that the F&G troopers observe from a distance before they make contact, partially so they don't interfere too much with your fishing/hunting activity, and partially to see if you're violating regs/laws. They probably have daily minimum field contact numbers (aka contact quotas) and you got to be one of the lucky ones to fill out a contact card on. I wouldn't worry about it. You probably didn't wind up on anymore lists than you were on before your encounter :D

LE tend to check areas daily, and the others may have been checked in previous days, so he knew they had their licenses, If you were new there, that is probably why you were checked.
He did his job and that is what he was hired to do. Make sure people were complying with the game laws.
Next time he will probably pass you by and check the next new guy to the area. Just give him the lic to view and be glad someone is protecting the fish and wildlife so we all have fish and game for the future.
If you are abiding by the current laws then you have zero to worry about. Let him do his job and thank him for it.

Yes they can, I don't mind at all. They usually leave me after I start asking all kinds of questions. From regs, Tackle to parking. Then I go on about how wonderful the lord is. Have a nice day! Remember you are fishing...

I have nothing to hide and have found that acquiescing to LEO's requests politely has resulted in no tickets or fines and generally seems to get then on their way faster then not.

They have to deal with all sorts of ignorant folk, they cheer up pretty quickly when they find I'm not one of them.

Was it that the picture looked a little fishy or was it the odor?
Was it a little fishy?
Was it the fisherman (oops--fisherperson) or the farmer (OSP-) humm, let's really stink about this awhile

Is there any law saying we must consent to ID when a LEO asks for it while fishing? Do we lose our right to privacy when fishing? I was curious because an officer asked me for my fishing license the other day and wrote down my ODL number that was on my fishing license.

Yes, your right to privacy is gone while fishing and you have to consent to ID.

Most of our rights are on the way out. Problem is that it is fashionable to let them go. People will call you ignorant folk, a hardliner, edgy, etc... if you attempt to question your fading rights.

Better to just submit, fall in line and do as your told for the greater good and cheer up that poorly ol' LEO whom often has to deal with infringing upon everyones remaining rights and tires of the effort, the infrequent push back and mild resistance demonstrated by the poor attitudes of those they serve.

Sorry, Mr. Franklin. We could not keep the Republic.

Denying ODFW employees, peace officers or landowners opportunity to inspect license, catch and gear. It is also unlawful for
any person licensed by ODFW to fail to comply with the directions of authorized Department personnel related to the collection of
sampling data or material from salmon or other fish. It is also unlawful for any such person to fail to relinquish to the Department any
part of a salmon or other fish containing coded-wire tags, including but not limited to, the snouts of those salmon that are marked by
having clipped adipose fins

Per fishing regs page 11.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top