Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Confusing gun purchase in Idaho

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by mjbskwim, Apr 27, 2012.

1. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I have been reading all the threads,apparently not good enough,on gun sale. I though it illegal to purchase a gun from an out of state CFL without shipping it to my ffl
    Why was I able to buy a shotgun from cabella's in post falls?
    What did I miss?

2. carracer

carracer Nampa, Idaho Active Member

I think you can purchase a long gun without shipping to ffl. Handguns are a different matter.

Statutes

3. james2562

james2562 Kent Member

The short answer is that the ATF looks at long guns and hand guns differently. Below is th elink to the ATF FAQ page. It should cover your questions and a few others you may have in the future.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Firearms

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  4. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

I have bought many rifles from Keiths in OR and im a Washington resident. They said it was fine but when i bought a pistol from them they sent it to my FFL in Washington.

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

6. mjbskwim

Basically,I started this so others wouldn't be as dumb as me on this subject,as we always have a lot of questions on the sale and transfers of firearms to persons of other states,as I figured the answer out when I was sold the gun.

Thanks for the links Gentlemen.

Mike

7. retiredgal

retiredgal Post Falls, Idaho Active Member

What about inter family transfers of handguns? Gifts? Swap? Idaho and Oregon residents.:huh:

8. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I think there is an actual exemption for that but not sure where to find it.

The easy answer though is since it is legal to loan firearms (see that link) if uncle Bob loaned and left his gun at your house it is not a transfer. Plus there is no registration of firearms in most states so it is not really an issue.

9. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

I'm not sure, but I think the exemption is only for inheriting guns. I think if the gift giver is still alive the transfer needs to go through an FFL. The loan might be the way to go in that case.

fd15k and (deleted member) like this.
  10. mjbskwim

But,you know what? If Uncle Bob leaves the gun and you never rob a bank or kill someone with it,it would never be an issue.
    Uncle Bob leaves his gun with Nephew Dumb ***,that just got out of jail,they both deserve to get nicked.