JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would hazard a guess that to make numbers like that, having your mailbox trashed is equivalent with a beat down mugging, statistically.

There is that - I forgot about those. I see them when I leave the mountain. Not on my private road, but on the public road. There is one or two houses that - for whatever reason - have someone smashing their mailboxes repeatedly.

When I lived on the farm, we had a stop sign on our corner (one of three or four locally - now there is a roundabout). Some anal orifices would cut across our lawn and tear up the lawn rather than obey the stop sign (I think it was more about thumbing their nose at our nice house on the corner).

My uncle got tired of it and would, from time to time, put out long 2x10" planks with long heavy nails in them sticking upwards about 6" from the wood. More than once this caught the culprits and we would see a car down the road from the farm with multiple flat tires.

I think one reason why we don't have much crime on our private road (besides the fact that it is a private road) is that there are several houses with Ring cameras on them that record all the comings and goings. Another reason is the reputation we have of shooting guns often, and an incident before I moved here where the neighborhood came out en masse with guns to hunt down a peeping Tom who was seen looking in a little girl's window (that incident was well known on the mountain).

Another incident a few years ago happened at a farm at the base of the mountain (there was a thread here about it) where a drunk driver crashed thru a fence near the farm house and was trying to escape - the farmer came out with a shotgun and held him for police (I think I recall that the farmer shot into the ground).

Word travels around that people out here are not to be messed with - it even makes it into the city (Hillsboro mostly, where there are more migrant farm laborer's relatives).

3ti200.jpg

People who do "stat's" and who are not hiding, will show anyone that they can make stat's say anything they want them to say. When someone wants to "prove" the rural area is just as crime ridden this is exactly how it's done. They play with the stats to get them to say what they want them to say.
And imagine how sweet those city "stats" are looking as we watch an increasing amount of crime go unchecked, wondering where the depleted police force is, and what the local DA is up to. No arrest, no charge, no prosecution = no crime "stats". What a phoney way to make everything look rosey.

Couple of years ago, a guy took over his parents home after they passed at the end of our private street (his house was not on the private street). My mother was the only one home back from a trip in Central Oregon bought an old table and chair set, all but one chair (on the front porch) tarped in the back of the truck... Guy came up, knocked on the door, claimed my mother stole his chairs from his house and the one on the front porch. He refused to leave, even leave from the private road (he claimed was public) and he called the police on my mother. My mother called the police and myself. I went straight home from work.

I got there about when the police were wrapping up, the short of the matter, he made a fool of himself, lied to the police, false accusation, easy to prove him wrong on his accusations, he was informed the whole road was private property, and the police told him to never set foot on the road again.

Shortly thereafter, they guy and his buddies turned his house into a drug house and we the neighborhood finally got him out after a year or so by calling in every last thing (illegal parking, noise, and more, per sheriff request, so they could be in the area regularly, for actual call in reasons).

Haven't had much, some random cars getting "lost". My place looks redneck enough to make someone who is not supposed to be there, uncomfortable.

Someone broke into my car 150+ feet into my driveway (way onto my property), did not take anything though. There was money in there, a older Iphone but no paperwork of any kind and I had a $2,000 AED for my son that I keep in the trunk for emergency use. (I Keep all paperwork in my wallet in case this exact thing happens...). who knows what they were looking for.

Read "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darrell Huff.
Even people who move their lips when they read a comic book can finish it in a couple of hours.
Read it and never trust "statics show" again.

Heads up if u live in Pdx area this blue suv (looks like a Subaru to me) and team of at least 3 people broke into this person's house. First guy had fluorescent vest and apparently tried to pretend to be a meter reader. Then second guy came from same car. A third guy was driving car. So keep a lookout for this blue suv and also the guy with vest.
Screenshots from video above:
ECAB1C3F-41C4-4233-A759-C0E64A6A5DB6.jpeg AC5CF6FE-5369-46DB-B23B-6E3B124364C0.jpeg
1AC9300F-6A51-4B06-93EC-5F613084720A.jpeg
47368DC1-C2A2-45D6-9FE0-E9B598931770.jpeg
8707DFC5-59D0-4868-829C-CADAE7205A79.jpeg
ED4ACED6-BF45-49AE-A1A5-16BCFDA2D91E.jpeg

1) "89 percent who read your post won't read that book."
Make that 89.378%. The impression of precision created by taking it to 3 decimal places makes it more believable. ;)
If you're gonna make it up anyway, might as well make it look like it's statistically valid. The precision indicates to the reader that it's scientific. (It's in the book.)

2) "I didn't want to be a statistic so I didn't click."
In this area statistics is like politics - Just because you don't take an interest in politics/statistics doesn't mean they don't take an interest in you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top