JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Did a quick search and didn't find it. But from another web site I did find that hand guns are allowed in vehicles unloaded and out of sight. So no locked case required correct?

Making a trip up there soon and just want to make sure I don't break any laws.

Did a quick search and didn't find it. But from another web site I did find that hand guns are allowed in vehicles unloaded and out of sight. So no locked case required correct?

You do not need to lock up you firearm in WA. If you are on a general business trip and do not have a CPL, it only needs to be unloaded. The gun can be on your hip, and the loaded magazine in your pocket, but no ammo in the weapon.

If you are going to, coming from, or participating in an outdoor recreational activity (camping, hiking, horseback riding, hunting fishing ect) it can be loaded in a vehicle (CC or OC), no license required. RCW 9.41.060(8)

The prohibitions are in RCW 9.41.050 (same type paragraph as ORS 166.250) and teh exceptions are in RCW 9.41.060 (Same type paragraph as ORS 166.260)

On foot...Loaded OC is legal anywhere you can carry (see RCW 9.41.300 for the restrictions), no license required. Local governments are NOT allowed to do different than state law. OC is generally well accepted...Hassels are very rare. You must be asked to leave, no guns allowed signs mean nothing.

May I add, this applies to pistols only...Long guns can never be loaded in or on a vehicle. That is F&W RCW 70, not weapons RCW 9.41 CPL is shall issue, no traing required, $52.25 60 days max for out-of-state non-resident.

May I add also: there is no requirement to inform...and I would not.

You do not need to lock up you firearm in WA. If you are on a general business trip and do not have a CPL, it only needs to be unloaded. The gun can be on your hip, and the loaded magazine in your pocket, but no ammo in the weapon.

If you are going to, coming from, or participating in an outdoor recreational activity (camping, hiking, horseback riding, hunting fishing ect) it can be loaded in a vehicle (CC or OC), no license required. RCW 9.41.060(8)

The prohibitions are in RCW 9.41.050 (same type paragraph as ORS 166.250) and teh exceptions are in RCW 9.41.060 (Same type paragraph as ORS 166.260)

On foot...Loaded OC is legal anywhere you can carry (see RCW 9.41.300 for the restrictions), no license required. Local governments are NOT allowed to do different than state law. OC is generally well accepted...Hassels are very rare. You must be asked to leave, no guns allowed signs mean nothing.

May I add, this applies to pistols only...Long guns can never be loaded in or on a vehicle. That is F&W RCW 70, not weapons RCW 9.41 CPL is shall issue, no traing required, $52.25 60 days max for out-of-state non-resident.

May I add also: there is no requirement to inform...and I would not.

Do these laws apply to residents only???

Do these laws apply to residents only???

No, they apply to everyone. The only resident/Non-resident difference is that if you are a resident and have a WA DL, they have to get you your CPL in 30 days...non-resident, or no WA DL they have 60 days to get you your CPL....still shall issue, no state mandated training or anything else.

WA is egalitarian, everyone gets treated the same, everywhere...no little local gotyas. OC is open to anyone, RCW 9.41.060(8) is even open to those under 21 (note, "any person engaging in lawful outdoor recreational activity...")

No, they apply to everyone. The only resident/Non-resident difference is that if you are a resident and have a WA DL, they have to get you your CPL in 30 days...non-resident, or no WA DL they have 60 days to get you your CPL....still shall issue, no state mandated training or anything else.

WA is egalitarian, everyone gets treated the same, everywhere...no little local gotyas. OC is open to anyone, RCW 9.41.060(8) is even open to those under 21 (note, "any person engaging in lawful outdoor recreational activity...")

Also something to keep in mind for people 18 to 21. RCW 9.41.240

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

Also something to keep in mind for people 18 to 21. RCW 9.41.240

For both you and Toywin12: There are exceptions..read the exceptions in RCW 9.41.060..."Any person" means just that "any pereson" there is no qualifier that says you must be of legal age to qualify under this exemption. RCW 9.41.060 begins: "The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 do not apply to:"

As to RCW 9.41.240...it begins with: "Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies..."

When you are trying to help someone find out the law, you need to read the whole law, not just the restrictions....

For both you and Toywin12: There are exceptions..read the exceptions in RCW 9.41.060..."Any person" means just that "any pereson" there is no qualifier that says you must be of legal age to qualify under this exemption. RCW 9.41.060 (fixed it for you.) begins: "The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 do not apply to:"

As to RCW 9.41.240...it begins with: "Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies..."

When you are trying to help someone find out the law, you need to read the whole law, not just the restrictions....

I've read the law, restrictions and exceptions, but thanks for your input. My post was not in contention of yours. When you are trying to help someone find out the law, perhaps you should qualify their situation by asking them questions and just stick to the facts and not interject statements of opinion...

I carry both a Washington and Oregon CHL. Both states have good concealed carry laws and are "shall issue" states. The only real difference I have noted so far is that license holders in Washington are not allowed to carry a weapon in anyplace serving alcohol. Oregon doesn't seem to mind that.

The only real difference I have noted so far is that license holders in Washington are not allowed to carry a weapon in anyplace serving alcohol.

Better recheck you facts on that.

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

Big difference between "anyplace" and just the part controlled by the state liquor board. If it was "anyplace" you couldn't take you gun to dinner in most restaurants and have your gun with you. Real easy way to tell if you can have you gun on you in WA in a place that serves alcohol is if a 10 year old kid can be there so can your gun.

As long as you're going, stop in at the Clark County Sheriff's Dept. and apply for a nonresident LCCP, which is their version of the CHL.
It's just across the I5 bridge.

Where you smart enough to get your Utah CHL when you got your Oregon? If so, there is reciprocity between Washington and Utah.

I've read the law, restrictions and exceptions, but thanks for your input. My post was not in contention of yours. When you are trying to help someone find out the law, perhaps you should qualify their situation by asking them questions and just stick to the facts and not interject statements of opinion...

Thanks for the correction on the mistype

Better recheck you facts on that.

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

Big difference between "anyplace" and just the part controlled by the state liquor board. If it was "anyplace" you couldn't take you gun to dinner in most restaurants and have your gun with you. Real easy way to tell if you can have you gun on you in WA in a place that serves alcohol is if a 10 year old kid can be there so can your gun.

Good example is at McGrath's here in Vancouver. As you come in the door is a little blue sign from the Liquor Control Board that most people assume prohibits carry in the whole building. Actually it just restates that it's any place in the building where minors are prohibited, which is only the bar area.

For both you and Toywin12: There are exceptions..read the exceptions in RCW 9.41.060..."Any person" means just that "any pereson" there is no qualifier that says you must be of legal age to qualify under this exemption. RCW 9.41.060 begins: "The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 do not apply to:"

I would suggest you take your own advice. I read all of it, however you posted only a small portion of it which can be misleading. So I simply added to your post. I did not detract from it or disagree with it; as a matter of fact I actually agree with what you have to say for once. But only because you are correct this time.

I carry both a Washington and Oregon CHL. Both states have good concealed carry laws and are "shall issue" states. The only real difference I have noted so far is that license holders in Washington are not allowed to carry a weapon in anyplace serving alcohol. Oregon doesn't seem to mind that.

Ther are places the serve liquor that a minor can go into, and there are places that are posted, by the liquor control board, "21 and over only". You cannot carry into any place that is posted "21 and over only" (generally called "bars"). A place like Applebee's or Denny'sthat serves liquor, but is not posted 21 or over is just fine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top