JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While looking at some of the current gun-control lobby activities today, I came across a post about activities to press for confirmation of a B. Todd Jones as ATF director. The post has apparently been vacant since 2006 (not that I'm complaining). I guess the senate committee hearing was yesterday, so its a day late, but does anyone know anything about this individual? I did see this info, but not much more. Something to be concerned about?

Quote: "Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said Monday that the lack of permanent leadership at the ATF “has gone on far too long, depriving the bureau of the stable leadership and the focus to carry out its vital missions including preventing violent crime.” Call or email your Senator and ask them to confirm an ATF director now!"

How would ATF go about preventing violent crime? No one else except the possible victim can from what I can tell. Since until the violent crime starts no one else can legally stop it.

While looking at some of the current gun-control lobby activities today, I came across a post about activities to press for confirmation of a B. Todd Jones as ATF director. The post has apparently been vacant since 2006 (not that I'm complaining). I guess the senate committee hearing was yesterday, so its a day late, but does anyone know anything about this individual? I did see this info, but not much more. Something to be concerned about?

Quote: "Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said Monday that the lack of permanent leadership at the ATF "has gone on far too long, depriving the bureau of the stable leadership and the focus to carry out its vital missions including preventing violent crime." Call or email your Senator and ask them to confirm an ATF director now!"

Until 2006, the president had the power to install a director of the firearms bureau without Congressional approval. Senate confirmation became a rquirement in 2006, and no one nominated by Pres. Bush or Obama has ever been confirmed. So interim directors have filled the position. Regardless of that, they are still a sub-agency of the DoJ, who is represented by Att'y General Eric Holder.

Another Owebamma & Eric WithHolder cronney!!! Deny, Lie & deny some more!!!!

AHHHaa, Dedication of resources & detourant impact of "Lie & Try"!!! That explains it all!!!

And I take it from this interview, he didn't get the job. How could an Owebamma nomine be so inept about this position actually get approved ?

Do these guys even try to listen to the question or the answer they give to a question? Jesus what a mess we have. Another question, what happened to the funds allocated to prosecute the lie and try? Should kick all of them out and start over!

Actually, listening to this video Jones said the truth; "Lie and Try" is not a priority for the ATF. Had he continued with the "major priority" initial mistep, Cruz would have ate him for lunch.

I've watched too many of these video's; Hilary on Benghazi, Holder on F&F and Feinstien on her gun-ban to name a few; all of which completely stonewalled the truth through misdirection and never ever answered questions. IMO, Jones was fairly honest about the ATF's priorities and Cruz got the answer he was looking for.

I dunno, I think the nominee sounded much smarter then Cruz.... I mean is Cruz actually advocating that the ATF be better funded with fewer constraints to prosecute more Lie and TRY,?

Ad out of Cruz's statistics how many of those 40000 denials were actually lie and tries? Versus initial delays in NICS, people having similar names to felons, felons who had their rights restored but NICS didn't get the paperwork etc etc etc not everyone denied by NICS is actually a prohibited person....

Yes, I believe that's what Cruz is saying. It's what gun owners have said all along... Enforce the laws that are there. All Cruz is saying is that he offered legislation to increase funding that the ATF said was not there to enforce said laws and it was shot down by the Dems.

Another bonus to this is Jones coming right and saying that "lie and try" was of low priority, is that the actual enforcement of our current guns laws pertaining to the background check system is of low priority.

Analogoy: The NCIS system is basically like a minor attempting to buy alcohol and the clerk turns them away, but the cops are never called. So the minor finds another way to get his alcohol. Had the store owner called the cops in the first place, the minor would have gotten in trouble....

In other words.. How many of these felons who were denied, but never prosecuted/arrested went about finding a gun another way. And yes, I realize that there are probably a lot of false denials through the NCIS system, but not to put a priority on existing laws while trying to force more down our throat is BS.

It's ammo that I'm sure Cruz has tucked away in his pocket for future use.

Yes, I believe that's what Cruz is saying. It's what gun owners have said all along... Enforce the laws that are there. All Cruz is saying is that he offered legislation to increase funding that the ATF said was not there to enforce said laws and it was shot down by the Dems.

Another bonus to this is Jones coming right and saying that "lie and try" was of low priority, is that the actual enforcement of our current guns laws pertaining to the background check system is of low priority.

Analogoy: The NCIS system is basically like a minor attempting to buy alcohol and the clerk turns them away, but the cops are never called. So the minor finds another way to get his alcohol. Had the store owner called the cops in the first place, the minor would have gotten in trouble....

But the potential ATF director has nothing to do with funding. as a US Atty he has to manage his resources wisely.

your analogy is silly to anyone who's worked retail. yes minors attempt to buy alcohol all the time. and how many times does the sheriff want to come to the store? usually a teenager who looks older will grow a beard and attempt to buy a case of beer. if asked for ID he'll say "oh I left it in my car let me get it" and then slip out and never come back to complete the sale. If the Sheriff was called every single time that happened they'd be doing nothing but going to grocery store to bust people. and what if turned out they were 21? what was the probable cause for the deputy to detain them? that they forgot their wallet?

see there are many laws, tens of thousands of them. the police/prosecutor/courts/etc do not have the time to prosecute every single time a law is broken. therefore they set a scale to determine priorities for enforcement. If you have a judicial district in which there are 10,000 "lie and trys" in which the criminal never actually got their gun because NICS blocked them, versus 200 cases of armed career criminals or muscle for drug cartels, and you only have the resources to prosecute 300 gun cases, are you going to jam up the system with NICS denials? no.....

So Cruz is really just trying to badmouth Obama and score cheap political points by grilling some guy who by all accounts is just doing his best to use his taxpayer resources wisely. I'm sorry, I kinda like Cruz so it dissapoints me to see him play this game.

But the potential ATF director has nothing to do with funding. as a US Atty he has to manage his resources wisely.

your analogy is silly to anyone who's worked retail. yes minors attempt to buy alcohol all the time. and how many times does the sheriff want to come to the store? usually a teenager who looks older will grow a beard and attempt to buy a case of beer. if asked for ID he'll say "oh I left it in my car let me get it" and then slip out and never come back to complete the sale. If the Sheriff was called every single time that happened they'd be doing nothing but going to grocery store to bust people. and what if turned out they were 21? what was the probable cause for the deputy to detain them? that they forgot their wallet?

see there are many laws, tens of thousands of them. the police/prosecutor/courts/etc do not have the time to prosecute every single time a law is broken. therefore they set a scale to determine priorities for enforcement. If you have a judicial district in which there are 10,000 "lie and trys" in which the criminal never actually got their gun because NICS blocked them, versus 200 cases of armed career criminals or muscle for drug cartels, and you only have the resources to prosecute 300 gun cases, are you going to jam up the system with NICS denials? no.....

So Cruz is really just trying to badmouth Obama and score cheap political points by grilling some guy who by all accounts is just doing his best to use his taxpayer resources wisely. I'm sorry, I kinda like Cruz so it dissapoints me to see him play this game.

No, my analogy is spot, provided that you don't elaborate on it, thus changing it's simplicity. A NCIS background check is different in the simple fact that a teenager slipping out or growing a beard did not provide his entire personal information (photo ID/address/phone number) when failing to buy alcohol.

I did not disagree with Jones and I appreciate the fact that he was honest about his priorities; more so, I totally agree with his priorities.

These people want more and more law when the fact remains that they are not prosecuting the laws that exist. Cruz offered a way to increase funding to help the US Atty do his job more effectively w/o making new laws and it was shot down.

IMO, facts that pop up from time to time about the NCIS system and background checks are facts that we can use to our advantage when someone wants to expand current laws. These political grand-standing by our politicians are a joke, you know it and I know it. Regardless, there are moments when facts do come up during them that shed some light into either the person character, their agenda or the ineptitude.

And to answer your question about jamming up the system with NCIS denials... If they insist on more laws, I insist they show they are enforcing the laws that are there. IF resources are the problem, then we need to remidy that issue.

No, my analogy is spot, provided that you don't elaborate on it, thus changing it's simplicity. A NCIS background check is different in the simple fact that a teenager slipping out or growing a beard did not provide his entire personal information (photo ID/address/phone number) when failing to buy alcohol.

I did not disagree with Jones and I appreciate the fact that he was honest about his priorities; more so, I totally agree with his priorities.

These people want more and more law when the fact remains that they are not prosecuting the laws that exist. Cruz offered a way to increase funding to help the US Atty do his job more effectively w/o making new laws and it was shot down.

IMO, facts that pop up from time to time about the NCIS system and background checks are facts that we can use to our advantage when someone wants to expand current laws. These political grand-standing by our politicians are a joke, you know it and I know it. Regardless, there are moments when facts do come up during them that shed some light into either the person character, their agenda or the ineptitude.

And to answer your question about jamming up the system with NCIS denials... If they insist on more laws, I insist they show they are enforcing the laws that are there. IF resources are the problem, then we need to remidy that issue.

Alright, I see what you're saying now. and I agree with you.

still I think it wasn't appropriate to badger Jones like that, I'm sure Jones is an anti-gun liberal more likely then not, being a lawyer in Minneapois appointed by Obama, that I do not doubt.

but Jones doesn't set budgets, he didn't lie to Cruz or avoid his questions, he stated honestly what his office set as enforcement priorities. So I still think Cruz was more interested in a political show then vetting this candidate... just my 2 cents. I think Cruz should act more presidential since he's considered by many to be a viable candidate for president next election cycle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top