JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's a good instructional about assembling a lower.
<broken link removed>
I think reading this inspired me to start my build. If it looks like something you could do it might help you make up your mind. Even if you did have to buy the tools I think you'd be money ahead to build your own, not to mention the fact that you'd know what makes you AR tick. I have been around AR's (Mostly M16's) for 21 years and never really knew HOW they worked, having assembled ONE lower in a couple of afternoons, now I understand exactly how they work, this alone made it worth it to me.:s0155:

Here is my advice...follow my advice and you will not regret>>>>>

1) Save up some money...$2500 should be a good starting point.

2) Buy a completed AR15 rifle...choose a good brand.

3) Research online to get assembly instructions...AR15.com is a good source

4) Buy a "Shotgun news" magazine...lots of different suppliers that sells AR parts.

5) For people who have a hard time putting the parts together...you now have a complete AR15 from step #2 as a reference.

If spending $2500 is too much...you need another hobby. Remember>>>Firearms is an expensive hobby...then save some more money for a gun/rifle safe, so your investments can be safe. No need to thank me...

If spending $2500 is too much...you need another hobby. Remember>>>Firearms is an expensive hobby...then save some more money for a gun/rifle safe, so your investments can be safe. No need to thank me...

I sorta hate to admit it, but he's right. I have about a grand into a 10.5" upper and that does not include an optic...

Buying a more or less basic AR is a great way to start, have fun and modify. If you can swing the extra dough, I would highly recommend grabbing a Daniel Defense M4. If that was out when I started my search years ago, one would be sitting in my rifle bag. I pretty much have a DD rifle now, just missing a DD lower and rear sight, though it's a long way off dollar wise, right now.

Any updates from the OP as to where he sits with his decisions? Would enjoy hearing your take on things suggested as of late. :s0155:

I found a Del ton AR15 for 800... new.... soo I researched it and didn't hear anything bad about them.. so I thought it would be a good starter AR to get.. Del ton may not be the BEST but im sure it will do fine for my first AR

Nothing wrong with a Del-Ton, got two myself. They are a decent mid-range AR where you can feel confident that it's not "cheap" but it doesn't cost a fortune either. You'll be happy. :s0155:

Here's a good instructional about assembling a lower.
<broken link removed>
I think reading this inspired me to start my build. If it looks like something you could do it might help you make up your mind. Even if you did have to buy the tools I think you'd be money ahead to build your own, not to mention the fact that you'd know what makes you AR tick. I have been around AR's (Mostly M16's) for 21 years and never really knew HOW they worked, having assembled ONE lower in a couple of afternoons, now I understand exactly how they work, this alone made it worth it to me.:s0155:

If you need help PM me. I've built a few. pretty easy

Save up $1200 and buy a stag, rock river, dpms, or any one of the basic good brands. It will be a trustworthy rifle that you can depend on. Head spacing will be correct, and all the other unknowns will be taken care of. Then it's a done deal with rifle in hand. Just what I would do.

op said inexpensive one.

nothing wrong with a inexpensive one unless he is in law enforcement or plans to go to war or works for a elite spec ops force or just likes Cool-aid

nothing wrong with spending more to get better quality either

but for $1200 you can pick up a good used Colt

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top