JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is nothing wrong with buying a complete rifle for your first. You could always build one if/when parts are more readily available.

Check the classifieds. There are several used ARs for sale there. ;)

Also, with some new models you will at least have the backing of the factory for any troubles it may have (though most can be remedied pretty easily once you pin-point the exact problem).

+ its good to have the tools in case you ever need to replace or fix something

or if you get a bad case of black rifle fever (yes there really is such a thing) then if you want upgrade to a crome lined barrel you can and if you upgrade to a crome lined barrel you'll probably want to upgraded to a rail system and if you upgraded to a rails system you'll probably want to install a 2 stage trigger system and if you install a 2 stage trigger system you'll probably want to upgrade to a new stock and if you do that then it remind you that you probably want a a cookie

its obvious you don't know what tools it takes and the cost of them.

You obviously don't know coctailer! :s0112:

To the the Author of the thread.
I can't say that I was really money ahead when I built my first one, but I can say that it was easier to buy a part a month until I had them all. I learned a lot putting it together also. To me that is where the REAL value is. Just my .02¢.

or if you get a bad case of black rifle fever (yes there really is such a thing) then if you want upgrade to a crome lined barrel you can and if you upgrade to a crome lined barrel you'll probably want to upgraded to a rail system and if you upgraded to a rails system you'll probably want to install a 2 stage trigger system and if you install a 2 stage trigger system you'll probably want to upgrade to a new stock and if you do that then it remind you that you probably want a a cookie

Sounds like a song from my younger years....

Did you guys scare off GlockGuy? Poor guy. :)

GlockGuy - if you're looking for a new inexpensive AR, the DTI (Delton) from coctailer is a good bet in a very popular style.

Or you can pick up a used one for about the same price range as you originally looked for if you're patient around the classifieds.

If you're looking to build, I hope you have better luck finding all the parts at "good" prices that are in stock than I have. I built mine, but by the time I bought all the parts, the shipping, and the wait time...buying a complete rifle would have been cheaper.

As far as the tools go, I'd say get everything together then ask for some help from someone local to borrow the tools to assemble, and to help supervise. You get the benefit of experience and meet new people. :)

Well ABG Buyers in Corvallis Has everything I need to Build one.. and i priced it at around 750 to 800 to build my own.. but I dunno if that was with anything special. I'll have to look into it again.

I bought a Del-Ton from them for 850 a few months ago. Spent 50 more but I am sure I saved in tools and hassle of building my own. And my 850 dollar
delton keeps up with others that use $2000 and higher guns when I shoot competition.

You can always start with something pretty simple and add to it as money allows and your needs/wants change.

Here's my dedicated .22lr upper on my favorite lower:

Pretty basic, really.

My .223 upper with Daniel Defense 9.0" rail, Centurion HK style sights, PWS FSC556 brake/flash hider, Magpul CTR stock, Bobro QD vertical grip, etc.

IMG_8113-2.jpg

There are so many options and looks out there. Just try to figure out what you'd like to do with your rifle and off you go!

I mean, you can even build a pistol or SBR if you want!! No ATF paperwork with a pistol though!!

My 9mm pistol with 5.5" Rock River barrel on a MEGA Machine Shop lower I got from J&S Sporting Goods. This is lots of fun! Just waiting on my NFA paperwork to clear for my can!!
IMG_8134.jpg

OK, After reading all 4 pages I am not sure if I am any wiser about building or buying. If you build, it may take longer than we have (Mid-term elections are just around the corner, and if the Dem's keep the Majority all bets are off, but that for a diff. thread). If I do decide to buy, what are the best MFG's? I see DPMS and STAG, OLY, Bushmaster's all the time. I have always wanted a Bushmaster, although I am not sure how I came to that decision. So what are some of the top brands (Affordable Under $1500)? If you build dose it pay to stick with the same MFG. parts or is mixing and matching ok? Or dose it cause problems in function down the road? I relize I asked a bunch of qusetions, I would really like to know about the Bushmaster and its overall user ratings.

Consider the evil necessity of having to sell it in hard times: do you have a brand name stock weapon from a reputable manufacturer who may stand behind it even with a new owner? Or do you have a kit gun with no brand name, which is essentially a pile of parts of unproven quality and nobody backing it?

Last year I was forced to sell a fine kit gun that I got second-hand and had gunsmithed into a fine, reliable-functioning AR. With a scope I consistantly got two-inch groups at a hundred yards with surplus military ammo, and I was happy. But come to sell it and what have I got except my testimony and a gun with no brand? Since I could not let the buyer take it to a range to prove my word, I had to take a big loss just to move it.

So, I advise buying a stock BRAND NAME weapon that you can sell if you are forced to, which will give a buyer confidence. For what it's worth, today I'd buy a CharlesDalyDefense.com AR......................elsullo

My Only Problem is... I dont have 800-1000 bucks to just go out and buy an AR.... Thats why I was thinking perhaps building one... so i could just go buy parts whenever i have money.

LMT, Noveske, or Colt and don't look back.:D Yes, they're probably a little bit more, but I don't think you'll regret it. Prices are coming down a bit and availability is becoming more of a reality. Resale value is also a plus in case you want to sell/trade down the road.

My Only Problem is... I dont have 800-1000 bucks to just go out and buy an AR.... Thats why I was thinking perhaps building one... so i could just go buy parts whenever i have money.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I already have an AR (DPMS AP4) so I can plink with it as I want. I just bought a Lauer Custom Weaponry Lower (mfg by LMT) from KRAWL, and pick up a lower parts kit from another member here. These and the stock extension tube, are the ONLY stock parts I would use if I bought another AR. The upper will be kinda the same deal, a couple of stock parts, and mostly after market parts. So in the long run, if I bought a complete gun and then added my modifications it would be WAY MORE $$$$. Not to mention I saw a complete rifle kit (DPMS and the bolt and upper were assembled) minus the lower for $650 and they had lowers between $129 and $229, so $800 for a COMPLETE new AR, where the store had the same DPMS model assembled for $989. So I guess it comes down to, do you just want to buy one and start shooting (buy a complete AR) or do you want to tinker around and customize your gun (build it piece by piece).

So far I've put together my lower and there is NOTHING hard about it. I bought a roll pin punch set from Harbor Freight (I needed on anyway) for $6 and that is the only tool, I needed to buy. Just take your time and read and understand a good set of instructions before you begin. I will buy an upper that already has the barrel installed, and a bolt that is already assembled.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top