JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to install something in my car to holster a pistol. I'm thinking the best place will be between the seat and console, about by my right side front pocket or a little below. There is a space there that would be perfect. Have any of you seen a system or solution that can accommodate several different pistols? I would want it to hold my full size 9mm, as well as a pistol yet to be bought that I will carry more often, something smaller in size but probably the same caliber. FWIW I drive a '05 Volvo sedan, and I'm not afraid to do a little drilling if needed, even build something that would work. ..Anyone?

Those are nice. My son has one. I could care less about concealment. I want fast clean access. I also usually care 2 weapons with me. One in a similar fashion, and another concealed on me with extra clip should I need to vacate the car quickly. I will take the one in the vehicle with me too ...but 2 is always better to me.

I've seen the steering column mount, but at least for me I want something that sits between the center console and the driver seat. From a seated position, my hand naturally rests right there. I'll have to check out the roto holsters, I like the blackhawk retention holster I have. I'd get another one of those and mount that, but I don't want the retention feature for where it'll set. I'm thinking to just mount a left handed belt holster or something like that to the console. Thanks all for the comments/suggestions.. . .

I've seen the steering column mount, but at least for me I want something that sits between the center console and the driver seat. From a seated position, my hand naturally rests right there. I'll have to check out the roto holsters, I like the blackhawk retention holster I have. I'd get another one of those and mount that, but I don't want the retention feature for where it'll set. I'm thinking to just mount a left handed belt holster or something like that to the console. Thanks all for the comments/suggestions.. . .

You can always remove/disable the retention latch of the Blackhawk if you like the holster otherwise.

I'm in PDX, and will have my appointment with Multnomah county for the license, so I still have a little time. I'm right handed, but I'm thinking I'll get a leftie to mount in the car, so it'll go on the console (that has the best mounting surface anyway). Make sense? I bought an IWB soft cheapie from Blackhawk that'll work, but I want something a little more sturdy, like a click-in type without the retention button. Leather maybe, and simple as possible--removing the retention button might work I haven't tried that yet. Once I get it set up, I'll post some picks. . .still in the drawing board phase of this one.

There's always going to be a plus and a con to most any vehicle carry method or placement; either the weapon will have to be out of sight so it's not stolen by opportunists or you're going to be constantly moving it from ready to storage and back again, or it's going to be in plain view to car prowlers (even at Fred Meyer's -gasp!) or it's going to be locked up in a console or cabled under a seat, so practically inaccessible as far as reacting to a carjack situation.

Another consideration is, will it be in a place where the attacker will see you going for ...something and that will compromise your surprise factor?

I think about this one frequently, and have yet to come up with the perfect combination of these aspects of accessibility, safety, concealment, stealth, and security from falling into unauthorized hands (teenage car prowlers for example.)

For now, usually it's a holster on my belt that I can access reasonably quickly while seated and seat-belted, with a backup in the deep map pouch behind my passenger seat.

Mostly the backup (a Colt 1991 A1 .45) is for when I leave home wearing my EDC holster but the pistol is in my bedroom, (DOH!) or for times when I travel light and only carry less lethal gear such as OC/Taser and so on.

I have read time and again on forums where people have written, "I seldom travel in high risk areas" and have to roll my eyes, remembering that the two most dangerous situations in my life both happened to me in "nice neighborhoods".

The hard fact is, we will never know when a cracked-out convict may pop out of the car in front of you and try to carjack you, or a nutcase will go bananas because he doesn't like your facial expression after he cuts you off in traffic. It will probably happen when you least expect it, in a place normally considered "safe".

When I first bought my truck, that's what I thought.

Then life went on, and I got into my truck and got out of it, and I never got around to it.

Now I just wear the weapon. If I need to leave it in the truck, I shove it between the seats and cover it.

I've kicked this around, weighed the pros and cons. Don't want to screw any holes into the console or dash. Would like the holster and gun to be relatively concealed to the average person too. And easy enough to pop off, and put in the glove box.

The perfect place for mine would be around mid thigh, right leg, between the seat and console. It's a tight spot and will hold a holster quite snugly. I believe a stiff nylon style holster, generic, to hold most semi autos would be perfect. Slap some Velcro on it, and on the console, and it might be just the thing I need.

Also, a nice location to easily be covered with a small towel or similar.

Worried about it going flying in a accident, so something with some positive retention would be ideal.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top