JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not sure where to post this, so I am putting it in Gen Discussion.

I am wondering if anyone has tried concealing a Sig 556 or any other type of "sub-rifle" typeof of pistol, like AR Pistol, Scorpion, AK Pistol, etc.

Of course, we all know that handguns are only used until you can gain access to your rifle, as handgun calibers are not the most effective for defense.

Anyhow, this post may sound silly, but I am just wondering if anyone here has or does conceal a very short-barrel style sub-rifle style pistol. I always thought it be real cool if I could get a real short barreled Sig 556 and be able to find some kind of whacky holster that would be able to secure it so its not so noticeable with a regular jacket.. I assume wearing a Sig 556 on your hip is not so feasible. Not sure about good chest holsters.

I was thinking the most practical way to conceal these would be with a backpack or briefcase.

I am not saying I would go about doing this, but I just thought itwas kind of a cool concept. Of course, I really wonder if any person could survive in court if they had to end up using a gun like a Sig 556 pistol in self defense. I am sure the jury might think the person is crazy for carrying such a gun. However, since these guns are classified as "pistols", I cannot see how its illegal to conceal one if you have a permit.

Anyway, I just like to hear other people's experiences in carrying and concealing these "sub-rifle" pistols. Sorry, I don't know what better term to refer to these as.

I am thinking when I get the money I like to get a small SIg 556 pistol.

Trench coat. You can conceal a full sized AK in one.

But carrying around a pistol on a sling, SMG style looks really irresponsible, and if anyone ever spots it I hope you wouldnt end up being shot at by the police.

I am not sure what the size definition of a handgun is, but the CHL is a concealed HANDGUN license and does not apply to rifles and long guns. I think it cannot have a shoulder stock or a barrel over 10.5" long. I would post the question on on oregonconcealedcarry.com.

I would think a concealed pistol license would cover all types of "pistols". I was not aware of barrel restrictions, but it would be interesting to find out. I will go ahead and post my question there. I was assuming if a gun is classified as a pistol and all the paperwork was done as a "pistol", as well as it not having a buttstock, that it would fit in the same category as a pistol.

Well u could do this...... i like ak pistols so i would instal something on the back of the reciver (where a butt stock would go...... not that u would wanna put a butt stock because that would be a sbr....short barrel rifle.).... anywho.....so u put a sling mount and use a single point harness and cover it with ur rain coat....... tada lol now ur ready to deal with anyone who wishes to do u harm..... but i could so see the jurey looking at u like u were a nut...... and a nice custom drop leg be t*tt*es too if u wanted to open carry.......just don't forget about that ccw/chp/cwp/chl.......whatever u wanna call it lol

as a gag, i used to show off my plr-16 in a briefcase. Fit perfectly with a 30 round magazine and a 40 rounder resting at the bottom. However, I would not recommend you playing with the idea of using a rifle caliber pistol for anything besides range fun and maybe...just maybe, HD, if you want to go completely deaf. I'm pretty sure your case would make pretty quick work for the DA. people gawk at the desert eagle at the range, what do you think they'd do if they saw a rifle caliber pistol as court evidence???

if you are interested, the best bet is eagle industries. they USED TO make a chest harness for the sp89 that also somewhat worked for AR pistols. I had one. it worked, the quality was there, but the reasonableness of carrying an AR pistol is a little unreasonable unless you were say...in the sandbox or if your name was jack bauer
an old pic of the plr
CIMG6979.jpg

I am happy to find lot of good and informative comments here. Most likely my sub-rifle type of gun would be used as a backup weapon for a major show-down, that would most likely never happen. Of course my S&W M&P 45 handgun would be my main defense weapon and the weapon I reach for in a time-critical, life and death, self-defense scenario. However, I just feel there is no harm having extra firepower and ammo with you at your disposal in case you just find yourself in the middle of a gang shootout, zombie attack ,etc etc.. Ok.. Lets be real here, it just is kind of cool and reassuring to have the extra firepower along for the ride . Now if I am out in the woods or in other places were I may encounter multiple shooters and have to shoot my way out of a situation, would you rather have only a pistol or a pistol and a rifle at your disposal? Yes, these scenarios are very unlikely to occur, but these days criminals do carry Semi auto rifles , but us law abiding citizens aren't allowed to. This is the next best option.

ANyhow, I don't own one of these weapons yet, but I am thinking it would be another nice addition to my collection, as I have few ARs, Saigas , pistols, but no sub-rifle type of guns.

I am thinking the main way I would carry it is in a backpack, book bag or suitcase. They do make some snazzy backpack holsters I have seen that may accommodate one of these guns very nicely. There is no real reason to go having to conceal one of these under your vest. However, seeing how small some of these sub-rifle pistols are, there may be options there as well, as some have shown.

I am happy to find lot of good and informative comments here. Most likely my sub-rifle type of gun would be used as a backup weapon for a major show-down, that would most likely never happen. Of course my S&W M&P 45 handgun would be my main defense weapon and the weapon I reach for in a time-critical, life and death, self-defense scenario. However, I just feel there is no harm having extra firepower and ammo with you at your disposal in case you just find yourself in the middle of a gang shootout, zombie attack ,etc etc.. Ok.. Lets be real here, it just is kind of cool and reassuring to have the extra firepower along for the ride . Now if I am out in the woods or in other places were I may encounter multiple shooters and have to shoot my way out of a situation, would you rather have only a pistol or a pistol and a rifle at your disposal? Yes, these scenarios are very unlikely to occur, but these days criminals do carry Semi auto rifles , but us law abiding citizens aren't allowed to. This is the next best option.

ANyhow, I don't own one of these weapons yet, but I am thinking it would be another nice addition to my collection, as I have few ARs, Saigas , pistols, but no sub-rifle type of guns.

I am thinking the main way I would carry it is in a backpack, book bag or suitcase. They do make some snazzy backpack holsters I have seen that may accommodate one of these guns very nicely. There is no real reason to go having to conceal one of these under your vest. However, seeing how small some of these sub-rifle pistols are, there may be options there as well, as some have shown.

don't go for a gimicky rifle pistol. just get a good bullpup.
it'll fit in a large range bag and a standard rifle just seems more reasonable than a matrix wanabe rifle pistol (which is barely usable). rifle <===more accurate than rifle calibered pistol. Accuracy = GOOD.
gosh this cold has my head all kinds of congested. I can't think straight.

Can I legally conceal a rifle or a bullpup rifle? As far as I know, my permit states that its a concealed pistol, not rifle permit. If I was allowed to carry a rifle with me, I may go for an SBR with a collapisble or butt stock like on my ARs. However, rifles have two problems as I see it: 1. They are too large and heavy to carry around, 2. They are not legal to conceal. So, with that being stated, I don't think the purpose of a sub-rifle/rifle-pistol would be for sub-MOA accuracy at 300 yards. The goal here would be to have a close quarter defense weapon that would be much more efficient than your average handgun.

Also, I really cannot see that all rifle pistols, like Sig 556 Pistol as being poor in accuracy. Maybe, they are bit harder to control, but its a defense weapon.

Finally, I would just like to have one of these in my collection, just for the heck of it. If I am legally allowed to conceal and carry it, to me that is a great advantage.

I would think a concealed pistol license would cover all types of "pistols". I was not aware of barrel restrictions, but it would be interesting to find out. I will go ahead and post my question there. I was assuming if a gun is classified as a pistol and all the paperwork was done as a "pistol", as well as it not having a buttstock, that it would fit in the same category as a pistol.

Oregon law, section 166.120 defines a "handgun" as:
any pistol or revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder.
Quoted from here:
<broken link removed>

IMO, from the letter of the law an AK pistol would be a handgun. The problem is twofold:
1. what is the intent or spirit of the law, what the lawmakers had in mind when they wrote this law.
2. An AK pistol was made up of parts originally "designed" to be a rifle, or a firearm to be fired from the shoulder, and shoots rifle caliber ammunition.

A similar argument can be made for the Serbu super shorty.

So, before I chance concealing something like an AK pistol or a Super Shorty, I'd make very sure what is the current LEO and courts interpretation. My money is rifle, AOW and similar are not what the law contemplated. If you want a shotgun cartridge on a handgun for CC, get a Ruger Judge.

Check out my ad in the accessories subforum for SO Tech Extended Go Bag. There's a link there to pictures. It was made to conceal the upper and lower of a standard 16" AR.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top