JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Husband (JackThompson) and I applied today for our CCW in Washington State. Seemed a fairly easy process. Looking into getting one for Oregon as well since I'm in Oregon from time to time. I'm reading it's not so easy and Oregon makes it pretty difficult for non-residents to get their CPL. Anyone have any experience with it or have any tips to share for acquiring a CPL in Oregon?

Cheers,

~MrsThompson

You can apply for a non-resident CHL in Oregon at the local Sheriff's office. (Multnomah County located at NE. 122nd Ave. and Glisan St. in Portland - Not too far from I-205 - here is a link: http://www.mcso.us/public/concealed_handgun.htm).

Fingerprints and photo are taken. NCIC background check, etc. You will need an acceptable gun class or show that you are ex-military or LEO and weapons qualified. Oregon will grant an Oregon CHL to a Washington resident.

The web site will give you all of the costs and particulars. Hit the FAQ link for questions.

Note: It does take some time to get your permit. When I got mine a few years ago I had to wait about six weeks for the card to show up in the mail. In Oregon you get a plastic card with your photo on it.

Like in WA, OR license is issued by each county. Normally this would be your county of residence. If you do business or have relatives in OR, I would apply in that county. You will have to renew with the same county and be aware that some Sheriff offices are a lot easier to deal with. They are all required to issue the licenses, but they don't have to make it convenient.

Mrs Thompson welcome to the forum. The process is easy for you. We have Washington residents attend our Basic Handgun Safety courses every month. We've been providing this service for the past 16 years and have never had a Washington student call with any issues as long as they meet the requirements.

By the way in Oregon we do not have a Concealed Weapons Permit but rather a Concealed Handgun License. There is a huge difference between these two and it isn't just a matter of semantics.

Mrs Thompson welcome to the forum. The process is easy for you. We have Washington residents attend our Basic Handgun Safety courses every month. We've been providing this service for the past 16 years and have never had a Washington student call with any issues as long as they meet the requirements.

By the way in Oregon we do not have a Concealed Weapons Permit but rather a Concealed Handgun License. There is a huge difference between these two and it isn't just a matter of symantics.
So for us former OFA students that don't know/ can't remember/are just ignorant rubes..what IS the difference? Will Smokey let you go for packing your piece after seeing your permit, but ding you for the Crocodile Dundee knife in the glove compartment ?

I'm curious what the differences are. Would you be willing to share? Or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
~MT

The biggest difference I can think of is Oregon's CHL doesn't allow concealed carry of auto knives, brass knuckles, daggers, dirks, ice picks, or similar per ORS 166.240. I know I'm forgetting a few specifically mentioned in the statute. Some states grant the ability to legally conceal these weapons with the same permit they allow you to carry a concealed firearm. Oregon does not.

Like in WA, OR license is issued by each county. Normally this would be your county of residence. If you do business or have relatives in OR, I would apply in that county. You will have to renew with the same county and be aware that some Sheriff offices are a lot easier to deal with. They are all required to issue the licenses, but they don't have to make it convenient.

Actually it isn't the sherrif that gives it out but the municipality that you live in.City or county
And why does everyone make such a big deal when someone calls it the wrong term?
Y'all know what she's asking.Yes it is just semantics on here

Magazine and clips,all the same thing

OK?

I live in Seattle WA, have a CWL out of King County, frequent PDX quite a bit, and have a CHL out of Multnomah County.
It was pretty easy if I recall- filled out the application, had appt to get fingerprinted and photographed in the morning, took the safety course that evening, CHL showed up in my mailbox a few weeks later. I did coordinate it all ahead of time with the sheriffs office because I live so far north, but they were very helpful to let me get it all done the same day, even though it was out-of-order (printing/photograph before the safety class).
One thing I have to remember is while King county (not sure about other counties) doesn't care if the address on the CWL is current (went in to change it and they told me it wasn't necessary), Multnomah county DOES care and everytime you move you have to notify them in advance.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top