JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I believe everyone read about the incident that happened on the BARTA Train in Atlanta that goes to the airport. BUnch a hooligans harrassed and hit people - apparently also robbed some.

For those in oregon - is there anything that prevents a person with a concealed Weapons permit from carry a concealed weapon on the POrtland local train/ tram or other mass transit system?
I understand POrtland does not allow open carry.

I do not ride it much but have got to tell you - they are the source of a lot of crime - at least the areas around them .

Tri-Met is a public entity. They can not legally bar you from carrying on the MAX train or buses. It doesn't mean they won't kick you off or that the Portland police won't try to hassle you, but it isn't legal if they do. I would just say concealed means concealed. I don't ride the MAX often, but I am ALWAYS armed when I do. I am not so much worried about being mugged or robbed on the train as I am when I am waiting for one at the station or getting off.

Somebody just got shot in Seattle? the other day on the bus.

This would fall under the 12/6 rule. I don't ride the bus,or I haven't for about 20 years,but from what I see at the bus stops I would definitely carry on the bus.

It was Kent

Portland does allow open carry IF you have a concealed weapons permit, as if that makes sense, but expect to be hassled by police called to a "crazy man with a gun" alert. Tri-Met however does NOT allow open carry even by uniformed security guards on their way to work. If you ask them Tri-Met will also say that they forbid concealed carry too, but they have no legal basis for that. Concealed is concealed, and they have no right to search anybody. Don't ask, don't tell.

For what it is worth, I drove for Tri-Met for over a decade, both bus and light-rail. Keep in mind that the drivers/operators are FORBIDDEN to carry weapons or to defend passengers from each other. If they get involved defending themselves or others they are unsupported by Tri-Met legally and are on their own for complaints, damages, and lawsuits, plus being subject to termination by Tri-Met. They once tried to fire ME for using pepper spray to stop some gangster gals from stabbing a stabbed woman AGAIN, but there was enough blood spilled on the floor to prove that I had acted justly and since I had broken no law or rule they could not get rid of me. Uh, huh. Tri-Met thinks that having lots of blurry cameras is security enough, since Tri-Met executives very rarely ride the system, and never at night or in scary places---if they can't see peril, well then there is no peril. Tri-Met has lots of crime, menace and violence yet very little is reported by operators. Tri-Met views anybody who reports problems AS THE PROBLEM, since nobody else reports problems. Operators used to take care of a lot of "problems" themselves, but now with all of the cameras on the trains and buses they cannot even do that anymore.

We had a relatively peaceful decade since most of the Portland gangsters were in prison, but they are back out now and gang violence is increasing all over the City. The young gang-wannabees use Tri-Met as their "proving-ground" to gain notoriety and status in the gangster crowd, since escape is quick and easy after their assaults on citizens. I would never ride Tri-Met without a concealed weapon. As the man said, "It's better to be tried by twelve than to be carried by six."

Actually, I hardly ever ride Tri-Met, since I become dangerous and rude. The last time, I had to shove some illegal immigrant women around to get off when they refused to understand me when I repeatedly said, "Pardon me?" instead of "Perdoneme!", which sounds awfully like it, doesn't it?............................elsullo

You CAN conceal carry on tri-met.

State Preemption
ORS 166.170 State Preemption.
(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.
(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

ORS 166.171 Authority of County to Regulate Discharge of Firearms.

(1) A county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within their boundaries.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:
(a) A person discharging a firearm in the lawful defense of person or property.
(b) A person discharging a firearm in the course of lawful hunting.
(c) A landowner and guests of the landowner discharging a firearm, when the discharge will not endanger adjacent persons or property.
(d) A person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting.
(e) A person discharging a firearm in the course of target shooting on public land that is not inside an urban growth boundary or the boundary of a city, if the discharge will not endanger persons or property. [1995 s.s. c.1 s.2]

ORS 166.172 Authority of City to Regulate Discharge of Firearms.
(1) A city may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within the city's boundaries.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:
(a) A person discharging a firearm in the lawful defense of person or property.
(b) A person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting. [1995 s.s. c.1 s.3]

ORS 166.173 Authority of City or County to Regulate Possession of Loaded Firearms in Public Places.

(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8]

ORS 166.174 Authority of City, County, Municipal Corporation or District to Regulate Possession or Sale of Firearms.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a city, county or other municipal corporation or district may not adopt ordinances that regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession or sale of firearms in a public building that is rented or leased to a person during the term of the lease. [1995 s.s. c.1 §5]

ORS 166.175 Authority of City to Regulate Purchase of Used Firearms.
(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a city may continue to regulate the purchase of used firearms by pawnshops and secondhand stores.
(2) As used in this section, "secondhand store" means a store or business whose primary source of revenue is the sale of used merchandise. [1995 s.s. c.1 §6]

ORS 166.176 Exception to Preemption for Certain County Ordinances.
(1) Nothing in ORS 166.170 or 166.171 is intended to preempt, invalidate or in any way affect the operation of any provision of a county ordinance that was in effect on November 2, 1995, to the extent that the provision:
(a) Established a procedure for regulating, restricting or prohibiting the discharge of firearms; or
(b) Regulated, restricted or prohibited the discharge of firearms.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to ordinances regulating, restricting or prohibiting the discharge of firearms on a shooting range or in a shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting. [1997 c.403 §1]

Elsullo can you please provide sources and stats for gang members coming out if the prison system an back ini Portland? Thanks!

I just read the paper daily, and am a TV news addict. There have been seveal articles over the years assessing Measure 11's effect upon the reduction of crime because of longer mandatory minimum sentences. I especially enjoy the mug shots of people that I have seen before........................elsullo

The only thing that prevents you from protecting yourself is you. Why even give a FRA if there is a rule? How will you feel at that moment when the situation warrants protection and you have the wrong level of personal protection (fists, legs, bad words)? Wife, kids, some other loved one along too? The descision is easy.

Thanks for the update

What is the 12/6 rule??

I am new to conceal carry - but Based on what I have heard - Never know how Portland may make up their own rules and I would agree - I think the light rail just breeds crime

12/6 rule is because I don't want to type that much.But I always end up 'splanein' it to someone

I rather be judged by "12" than carried by "6"...I would rather go to court and have 12 jurors judge me.........than someone kill me and be carried by 6 pall bearers at my funeral???

I call it the 12/6 rule because I don't want to type any more than I have to.
Go figure

Last Edited:
Cities and "municipal corporations" seem to frequently overstep their bounds and sometimes counties do the same. Keep the state legislature on a very short leash then work on the rest.

Yep, here in Clark County the county says you can't take a concealed weapon into the amphitheater at the Fair Grounds because they are acting as property owners (Cherry decision), but State law explicitly states that that doesn't apply to CPL holders. The reason they can get away with it is because no one has challenged it in court.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION law abiding gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

Tri-Met however does NOT allow open carry even by uniformed security guards on their way to work.

That's interesting, I used to ride the yellow line MAX from delta park to downtown every day when I worked the morning shift and a uniformed open-carrying guard guy, headed to work, had his piece every day. This was in the 2006-2008 time frame....is this no-open-carry-for-security-professionals a new thing or....?

It's kind of a strange rule considering that these people can/do walk around downtown (and into banks!) with their guns all day...

I dont leave home without it, especially on mass transit. I take the light rail from Seatac airport area to downtown Seattle from time to time and wouldnt get on it if I was not armed. Rarely see any type of law enforcement aboard. Have seen numerous interesting individuals (lets just call them of low morale character) on board. Many dont pay to ride and use the light rail as there ride to score drugs and get back to thier own hood for free.

I carry a concealed handgun, knife, and sometimes pepper spray on the light rail. I have personally witnessed drug deals, gropings, and fights as well as watched a few scumbags looking for an easy target especially at night. Actually interceeded once myself and the guy ran off when challenged. He targeted an older woman and was just getting ready to ramp it up as the next stop approached and he knew had an easy exit shortly.

My recommedation is if you can legally carry especially on mass transit, you should. You have no control over who gets on and off, you do not control the vehicle and you are trapped with whoever between stops. In your own vehicle you have control, and I agree with someones statement above, concealed means concealed. Good luck to ya! Be safe.
- G

I just read the paper daily, and am a TV news addict. There have been seveal articles over the years assessing Measure 11's effect upon the reduction of crime because of longer mandatory minimum sentences. I especially enjoy the mug shots of people that I have seen before........................elsullo

+1 to elsullo. A lot of the black gangsters went away on RICO charges in the '80s and '90's and are getting out now. The pendulum is swinging back towards a lot of bloody, public gang turf wars IMO.

(REPLYING TO JEKBROWN"S POST #14 ABOVE) Well, this is good news! No, it evidently was the OLD thing and must have been changed in recent years---common sense did reappear when a certain Operations Manager was fired. I quit paying strict attention to Tri-Met light rail when the Yellow Line was still just a twinkle in a real estate developer's eye......................elsullo

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top