JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking into the vehicle, Officer Ziegler asked Dan if that was a weapon he was looking at between them near the consol. Dan responded yes it was and according to Maranda, she volunteered to Officer Ziegler that it was her gun. Officer Ziegler walked back to his vehicle to run a background check on them and did not seem concerned about leaving the gun with Dan or Maranda.

The Old's vehicle has bucket seats with a console between. The gun was muzzle down between the seat and the console with the butt showing. The gun was holstered and visible as a firearm.

When Officer Ziegler returned to the vehicle he asked Dan if he had any other weapons and Dan responded that yes, he always wore a knife. It was then that Officer Ziegler instructed Dan to get out of the vehicle. Ziegler then took possession of the gun and the knife.

charles-olds-21.jpg

Dan was issued a citation for carrying a concealed weapon and the gun was confiscated. When Dan asked Officer Ziegler why he was being issued the citation instead of the gun owner, Officer Ziegler stated that the gun was closer in proximity to Dan and that it why he was issued the citation.

What do you think?

<broken link removed>

After reading the entire article, the result was in the favor of the violated citizen.

OSP Officer Ziegler perhaps could benefit from some additional, remedial training. Re-establishing the citizens rights and the premise of innocent until proven guilty.

The good people of Josephine County need to take steps to remove ADA Kate Williams, DA Ryan Mulkins and Judge Pat Wolke from their positions, as they all appear to have a preconceived agenda of Constitutional Violations. At least that's what I've gleaned from the article.

People need to stand up to the bullying and fight back. Now, Mr. Dan Olds needs to bring suit against the aforementioned individuals as well as the OSP for violating his rights, for his and his families trama as well as expenses and lost wages...

I recommend that everyone read the entire article. It might encourage you to take action. I'm very impressed with the Olds' character and perseverance. I'm less impressed with the OSP officer and the DA. I'm really puzzled why the judge would disallow the audio recording.

I recommend that everyone read the entire article. It might encourage you to take action. I'm very impressed with the Olds' character and perseverance. I'm less impressed with the OSP officer and the DA. I'm really puzzled why the judge would disallow the audio recording.
Disallow the audio because it doesn't serve the agenda... What else is new. Would you expect any less in Oregon, I mean seriously, with the corruption in Salem being so blatant?

After reading the entire article, the result was in the favor of the violated citizen.

OSP Officer Ziegler perhaps could benefit from some additional, remedial training. Re-establishing the citizens rights and the premise of innocent until proven guilty.

The good people of Josephine County need to take steps to remove ADA Kate Williams, DA Ryan Mulkins and Judge Pat Wolke from their positions, as they all appear to have a preconceived agenda of Constitutional Violations. At least that's what I've gleaned from the article.

People need to stand up to the bullying and fight back. Now, Mr. Dan Olds needs to bring suit against the aforementioned individuals as well as the OSP for violating his rights, for his and his families trama as well as expenses and lost wages...
My reaction, exactly.

the thing that bothers me most about this story is it happened in the one place in Oregon I would have never suspected of the law and courts being anti-gun, really speaks volumes to where the state of Oregon has gone....

yeah its rediculouse, two law abiding citizens with nothing to hide put through the ringer, they need to sue. There is no law in Oregon that specifies a gun has to be a certain distance from anyone....
This is just another example of the overreach of law enforcement, the state judicial system and the government in general. Those who overreached need to be held accountable not only for their actions but financially as well.

I'm sure Dan Old's has legal bills and missing salary. Not to mention trauma from this incident. So I totally agree with the sentiment of bring lawsuits... And he should be compensated in a very generous manner. It needs to be painful for these government entities, then perhaps they'll reign in these individuals who are clearly violating their sworn oaths...

I just traveled to Yellowstone. I read the cc laws for Idaho, Montana & Wyoming but still was not positive. In the end I just packed an unloaded pistol in a day bag and left it in the hatchback.

It's sad you attempt to do everything legal but any agent of the government can ruin life on a whim. Oh well, it didn't work. Next.

BTW, I had a military friend murdered by a drifter while traveling through Kansas. No one will say how they came together but at the end of the day he was hit in the head from behind and ran over with his own car. They caught the guy buying stuff with Darren's credit card.

Kinda Kalifornian, eh?

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!! o_O

;)

This is just another example of the overreach of law enforcement, the state judicial system and the government in general. Those who overreached need to be held accountable not only for their actions but financially as well.

I'm sure Dan Old's has legal bills and missing salary. Not to mention trauma from this incident. So I totally agree with the sentiment of bring lawsuits... And he should be compensated in a very generous manner. It needs to be painful for these government entities, then perhaps they'll reign in these individuals who are clearly violating their sworn oaths...

It just occurred to me, no mentioned was made if the gun was returned.... o_O

I dont know of any cases where anyone has sued for damages in cases like this, is it even possible? It seems like after the person has gone thru the wringer they are pretty much at rock bottom financially and emotionally and just want to get back to their lives...

Considering that Josephine County has no formal law enforcement after dark, they need every lawful gun owner they can find to keep the peace!
I always thought eastern Oregon was mostly gun friendly but after reading this story will have to treat anywhere in Oregon like your in Portland....

I'm really puzzled why the judge would disallow the audio recording.

It is obvious to me; the judge was biased and didn't want to admit any evidence of innocence.

This is a cautionary tale to those who think:

1) If they are innocent and law abiding, they won't be arrested and put in jail/prison for exercising their rights.

2) That because their sheriff is pro second amendment that they are safe in their county (the Josephine county sheriff is pro second amendment).

There is always someone in power who will go out of their way, lie/cheat/steal and/or abuse their position of power, to push their agenda on those they have power over.

In this case the sheriff was totally out of the loop. As I have said before, the OSP do not answer to the county, they answer to the governor - they are very tight with the governors office - very very tight - and they are everywhere, especially on any state highway and in rural areas.

It is a very good idea to have a concealed carry permit even if you rarely carry at all. You can be arrested and put in prison for carrying concealed on your own property. Yes Oregon state law allows concealed carry without a permit on some parts of your property (mostly inside your house or maybe in its immediate vicinity) but some people have been put in prison for having a concealed handgun in their car in their driveway.

The law is open to interpretation, and if you get an anti-gun LEO and an anti-gun DA and a biased or ignorant or anti-gun judge you are in serious risk of going to prison or jail or having your guns taken away and never being able to own any again.

Also, most people do cross county lines from time to time. I cross three every day coming and going to work - Yamhill, Washington and Multnomah - the last is definitely an anti-gun county. I regularly see sheriffs, OSP, city LEOs and even sometimes feds on my way to/from work. I've been stopped twice in the last 5 years for traffic infractions.

It is a risk. Be prepared.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads