JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With the thievery and bubblegumery increasing now, wanting to up my game here... Probably makes sense to buy a really tough expensive safe that is secured to a wall or is incredibly heavy but I dont have the 1000's of funds for this or interest in moving a heavy safe when I move.. Would like the best bang for my buck w/o showing that I visibly have a safe is an option at this point.

*Costco stand alone ones any good? Any recommendations for a budget wall safe say around $200-500? For maybe 7-12 long guns. Something with thick steel is preffered over just having fire safety... dont care about that as much as pry resistance.. Im a bit ignorant, do any of these costco safes mount to studs at all so they physically cannot be removed easily?

*Im not super familar with wall safes, theres so many options and some can be very expensive as well..Anybody have experience with concealed wall safes?

Does anyone have or recommend a place for these hidden safes to hide guns; Underfloor boards, a closet, in the bathroom or garage area?.. I imagine if one was handy enough they could take those cheapo crappy stackon ones that can be broke into with a crowbar in 5 mins and somehow mount it to the studs behind the drywall somewhere discrete? Better then leaving it out in the open.. Anything to slow the bastards down and confuse them...

Heard some people buy decoy safes and put junk or cheaper stuff into it while they hide another better one somewhere safe w/ real valuables. That seems like a good option ..

Thank you!

Last Edited:
Anything in that price range is barely going to be built almost square, let alone very secure. A prybar will defeat them easily, as will many other tools hanging around your house.

Don't worry about intrusion as much as deterrence. Put it somewhere it's not visible from outside, where the latch side of the door can't easily be reached with a prybar and secure it to the wall(s) and floor. Throw away the "This property is protected by (insert favorite gun maker here) sign in your front yard too.

That's what your budget allows for.

I personally have 2 locking fire-retardant cabinets (I don't call them safes). One larger one in the shop that holds most everything, plus a smaller one in the house that is my 'hot" safe holds my loaded CCW guns, ranch rifle and shotgun for quick access.

Look into your area. See if there are a lot of break ins. This is crucial in my opinion, as to decide the level of security one needs.

Safes do two things.

Protect from fire damage is usually the main thing they do.

Protect from theft is usually second, and it usually comes with the safes that cost $$$$-$$$$$. The lower end safes are mostly just fire security, if that. Mostly they are "peace of mind".

Another thing to think of is other means of security. Alarms, cameras, etc. these things might be more important than the safe itself.

Insurance is good too. Reach out to your provider and see what they offer. That's the last resort obviously, but if you haven't brought it up with your insurer, your behind the game.

In my opinion, anything is better than nothing if done in the right way. However, some stuff out there is simply garbage and provides very little security. If it means your 4-6 year old can't get ahold of them, that's a huge plus!

Id recommend looking at upping your budget if you want security. $200-$500 isn't going to get you much, especially in terms of security.

Look into your area. See if there are a lot of break ins. This is crucial in my opinion, as to decide the level of security one needs.

Safes do two things.

Protect from fire damage is usually the main thing they do.

Protect from theft is usually second, and it usually comes with the safes that cost $$$$-$$$$$. The lower end safes are mostly just fire security, if that. Mostly they are "peace of mind".

Another thing to think of is other means of security. Alarms, cameras, etc. these things might be more important than the safe itself.

Insurance is good too. Reach out to your provider and see what they offer. That's the last resort obviously, but if you haven't brought it up with your insurer, your behind the game.

In my opinion, anything is better than nothing if done in the right way. However, some stuff out there is simply garbage and provides very little security. If it means your 4-6 year old can't get ahold of them, that's a huge plus!

Id recommend looking at upping your budget if you want security. $200-$500 isn't going to get you much, especially in terms of security.
Theres quite a lot of options, and I agree $500 safe aint much over the chinese sheet metal walmart ones. Heeding all advice for securing your home for sure, cameras and strong hinges/doors. and not making yourself a target as other poster put it..

Are there $1000-1500 ones with some ACTUAL viable pry protection thickness and whatnot one would recommend? I would secure it to the back studs with 3/8 lug nutsand washers..

Theres quite a lot of options, and I agree $500 safe aint much over the chinese sheet metal walmart ones. Heeding all advice for securing your home for sure, cameras and strong hinges/doors. and not making yourself a target as other poster put it..

Are there $1000-1500 ones with some ACTUAL viable pry protection thickness and whatnot one would recommend? I would secure it to the back studs with 3/8 lug nutsand washers..
If I were to go sub $2000 I'd build a frame around the safe in wood. That way it's got to be removed from the frame first before attempting to cut or pry.

I spent well over $2000 to get a solid 3/8" thick door with a ball bearing plate, 10 guage steel construction and a multi stepped door. Which offers one of the best pry protections available.
1639696767869.jpeg

It has one of the highest fire ratings to boot. It's in the house and the house has its own set of security features. Not to mention I feel like I live in a very safe neighborhood.

I can not really make much of a recommendation sub $1500 these days. I own too much, at too high of a value, to see anything that isn't at least 1/4 of my investments total costs as a viable option.

The way I look at it these days, total everything you want to store in it. Than take that number and divide it by 2. If that's less than $1000, buy something in that range. If it's more, well you're not doing yourself any favors investing in firearms if you aren't going to invest in a viable safe for that sum of money. Sell the guns you don't need and use that money to secure the ones you want/need the most.

Most of us have seen the video of a safe company showing how easy it is to get into the Brand X safe! The first thing they do is throw the safe on its back in a wherehouse floor and attack it with two opposing 6' long pry bars!
If I wanted to keep them from opening my "Brand X safe" the way I would position it in the back of a deep narrow closet and anchor it to the floor and the walls. The narrow area would prevent them from using 6' prybars and being able to get two guys on it at the same time! You could also do this under a stair, or anywhere that prevents two guys from using weight and gravity to their advantage!
I have several big heavy safes, and also a Stack On 8 gun safe. The Stackon was bought to go in my 5th wheel, so it could not be a 500 pound monster. But truth be told it is just as much a deterrent as the monsters. It keeps the honest out, and makes the others look for easier pickings! Good Luck DR

You can't buy much for 5 hundred but, anything you buy can be secured to floor and or wall. One thing that will help is do not put the safe in the master bedroom if possible. This tends to be the first place the crack head type scum will look. They are normally smash and grab, looking for stuff they can grab fast. So if you can use a closet somewhere else or such they may never even see it. Another easy cheap option is alarms. The Simplisafe is a good system that is not expensive to buy. Anyone can install it. When you move you can just take the whole works with you. No wiring.
For now if all you can get is something real cheap? ANYTHING beats nothing for now. Get a cheap one, try to keep it out of the place the scum will look first, add an alarm.

Not the standard gunsafe format but I hear these are very sturdy

Those job boxes or a truckbox would be great for securing the tools and cut off grinder you have from thieves as well.
I Wonder if those job boxes take those PUCK locks on both ends? Cant really tell. I know they can be picked pretty easy, but the box itself certainly stronger then most low end safes/glorified cabinets..

Those job boxes or a truckbox would be great for securing the tools and cut off grinder you have from thieves as well.
I Wonder if those job boxes take those PUCK locks on both ends? Cant really tell. I know they can be picked pretty easy, but the box itself certainly stronger then most low end safes/glorified cabinets..
Last Job box I looked at took two regular style padlocks

There used to be a small, special purpose gun safe that Sentry Safe made, that was called the HDC (Home defense center). Sentry quick making those because they were designed for a "newbie", or at least not for someone with a lot of firearms and they were not cheap but for their intended use, they were the best value I had ever seen.

These were made with 10 ga. steel and were designed for one long gun and two or three hand guns and some ammo. With a simple modification one could put two long guns in it. It was only a foot square and 55 inches tall, and has a keypad on the top. You can open these in the pitch dark with zero noise. Now here is the best part. These were designed to be installed in a closet corner, using long half-inch lag bolts into the corner framing, FROM THE INSIDE OF THE SAFE! It would also be a simple matter to add additional bolts into the floor.

How do I know all this? Only because I have one that I purchased several years ago and I am thinking of selling it, only because of a severe family health issue. I have already sold my small inventory of firearms and all I lave left is this unique safe. I am still groping with that decision. I have attached some photos that will give you an idea of what these are were all about. I kept a 12 ga. riot gun and three hand guns in this safe, which is now empty.

I felt some of you may find these interesting, especially if you have never seen one.

Sentry Safe 002.JPG Sentry Safe 003.JPG Sentry Safe 006.JPG

With the thievery and bubblegumery increasing now, wanting to up my game here... Probably makes sense to buy a really tough expensive safe that is secured to a wall or is incredibly heavy but I dont have the 1000's of funds for this or interest in moving a heavy safe when I move.. Would like the best bang for my buck w/o showing that I visibly have a safe is an option at this point.

*Costco stand alone ones any good? Any recommendations for a budget wall safe say around $200-500? For maybe 7-12 long guns. Something with thick steel is preffered over just having fire safety... dont care about that as much as pry resistance.. Im a bit ignorant, do any of these costco safes mount to studs at all so they physically cannot be removed easily?

*Im not super familar with wall safes, theres so many options and some can be very expensive as well..Anybody have experience with concealed wall safes?

Does anyone have or recommend a place for these hidden safes to hide guns; Underfloor boards, a closet, in the bathroom or garage area?.. I imagine if one was handy enough they could take those cheapo crappy stackon ones that can be broke into with a crowbar in 5 mins and somehow mount it to the studs behind the drywall somewhere discrete? Better then leaving it out in the open.. Anything to slow the bastards down and confuse them...

Heard some people buy decoy safes and put junk or cheaper stuff into it while they hide another better one somewhere safe w/ real valuables. That seems like a good option ..

Thank you!

There used to be a small, special purpose gun safe that Sentry Safe made, that was called the HDC (Home defense center). Sentry quick making those because they were designed for a "newbie", or at least not for someone with a lot of firearms and they were not cheap but for their intended use, they were the best value I had ever seen.

These were made with 10 ga. steel and were designed for one long gun and two or three hand guns and some ammo. With a simple modification one could put two long guns in it. It was only a foot square and 55 inches tall, and has a keypad on the top. You can open these in the pitch dark with zero noise. Now here is the best part. These were designed to be installed in a closet corner, using long half-inch lag bolts into the corner framing, FROM THE INSIDE OF THE SAFE! It would also be a simple matter to add additional bolts into the floor.

How do I know all this? Only because I have one that I purchased several years ago and I am thinking of selling it, only because of a severe family health issue. I have already sold my small inventory of firearms and all I lave left is this unique safe. I am still groping with that decision. I have attached some photos that will give you an idea of what these are were all about. I kept a 12 ga. riot gun and three hand guns in this safe, which is now empty.

I felt some of you may find these interesting, especially if you have never seen one.

View attachment 1132481 View attachment 1132482 View attachment 1132483
I have a friend in north Portland who just inherited is grandfather's browning A5 that would certainly be interested if you are selling it.

Actually these safes were priced at close to $600.00 and when they went out of production Sentry sold off the remainder of inventory for closer to what you had mentioned. In my view they were worth the original price because of the quality but most dealers would not stock any, due to the price. Thanks for your interest. Mine is like new with all the paperwork.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top