JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to the state, I downloaded the CHL application online and was looking to take the online Maryland test which would save me the time/money of taking the CHL course. I found the link on here, which multiple sources said would work for Multnomah County. My question is this, on the application it asks you to give 2 personal references. I truly only know 1 person here in Oregon besides my wife. Do they actually call these people or could I just put one person down and hope for the best? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I just did an out of state application for Oregon. I didn't even think about it and put two of my close friends who reside in California instead of some of my family who are Oregon residents. I don't think it matters which state your references are from as the gal taking my application didn't even mention it. Today is the 14th days since I was fingerprinted and photographed with my application turned in and none of my friends have mentioned being called by OSP or Josephine county.

I think there's a lot of counties that don't call. Mine weren't called. I've talked with people from other counties who said their references weren't called either.

Welcome to the PNW & NWFA :)

Been a while since I've looked at the application but does the personal reference have to be an Oregonian? I don't know where you came from but my guess is there's a neighbor, a co-worker or family member in there some where that could vouch for you.

Also keep in mind that OR is shall issue so unless there is a reason to deny you, you will get the permit.

I moved to Oregon 9 years ago. WA county. I did not know anyone that I felt comfortable listing that was not family. I listed two out of state friends. I know that at least one was contacted.

Oregon asked and I believe it was on the utah permit as well but can't remember for sure. I listed our police chief and one of our local judges. Small towns are nice that way. You know everbody.

They say he's gone postal
Life member of
Oregon Hunters Association
National Rifle Association
universalshootingsports
bersachat
northwestfirearms
hipointtalk
facebook

No, after I get the permit. :)
Fine! but I choose the restaurant... meh :p lol It's gonna feel really good to be armed in public once you get that license. Just make sure you don't do anything to get it revoked..... I know a guy who got a DUI and they yanked his CHL before he could even feel the shaft lol.

Looking at the Multnomah application in front of me it says " List 2 local and non-family references"

Just looked at the Josephine and it just says "References" <broken link removed>

That seems a little unfair if you're new to the state or an out of state applicant to require two local references.

I decided to get my out of state first before I get moved up there. I didn't want them making any excuses that I had not been a resident long enough. Spoke with the person taking my permit and she said all I have to do is come in and do a change of address after I get a place up there. Now hopefully it arrives today in the mail :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top