JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I'd like to share a story about a man who probably thought he was concealed carrying...but could be spotted a mile away.

Today I was walking into the local liquor store and passed a man with both arms full, carrying a handle of Jack Daniels and two bottles of pop.

However it wasn't the alcohol that caught my eye.

He was wearing 511 type tan pants, a snug fitting polo shirt, and a multicam pattern baseball cap.

My first thought was "this guy is definitely carrying"

I passed about four feet away on his strong side and glanced over to his hip...sure enough there was an obvious "print" of a pistol underneath his polo shirt at his 4'oclock position.

When I came out of the store less than five minutes later he was sitting in his car, head down texting, as I passed.

I hopped in my truck and as I pulled out I noticed a sticker on the back of his windshield.

It was of an AR pattern rifle and said "Give Peace a Chance...and if that Doesn't Work I'll Cover You."

Everything about this gentleman, from his choice of clothing to the sticker on his car telegraphed "I have a gun"

I'll be no judge of fashion, or how someone wants to express their 2nd Amendment Rights, but I will take this opportunity as a reminder that "concealed is concealed".

His pistol may have been underneath his polo shirt. But it might as well have been out in broad daylight.

So if that gentleman is on this forum I'd like to say I appreciate you exercising the 2nd Amendment Rights we are so blessed to enjoy. It is your choice how you want to live your life. It is also important to be aware of the image or messages we convey...to both good guys and bad...and that the surprise gains the advantage...so please remember that "concealed means concealed"

It is the individuals choice if they want others to know they are carrying. My personal belief is that I never want anyone to know if and when I am carrying.

Safe Shooting.

I'll be no judge of fashion, or how someone wants to express their 2nd Amendment Rights, but I will take this opportunity as a reminder that "concealed is concealed".

Where did you come up with a rule for other people that they must hide their guns? Are you an anti open-carry bigot?

"My personal belief is that I never want anyone to know if and when I am carrying. "

Who cares?

Where did you come up with a rule for other people that they must hide their guns? Are you an anti open-carry bigot?

"My personal belief is that I never want anyone to know if and when I am carrying. "

Who cares?

I don't care if someone carries concealed or open carries. I made it clear in my post that the choice is up the the individual.

The point of my post was that sometimes, if we are not careful, we may think we are carrying concealed but accidentally do things that give away the fact we have a gun.

69BDBAB3-4F2C-4D45-8073-E00EC7D77294.jpeg

Who cares?

Bigot? Jeez thats a word thrown around a lot these days in politics. ;)

@ the OP I get what you are saying.

I have a total of 2 decals in my back window. Vietnam and NRA. More than once I've been mistakened for a Marine!

But, Yes, Concealed means Concealed. Too many people just don't have a clue!

I have a total of 2 decals in my back window. Vietnam and NRA. More than once I've been mistakened for a Marine!

I agree, and thank you KKG!

Maybe he doesnt care about "concealed"? And even OCing, most people are so oblivious, they still dont notice.

I think if you carry, you are much more in tune to other carriers that the general public.

Maybe he doesnt care about "concealed"?

Doesn't sound like it. I don't care what others do but weekend warrior "operators" with stickers like that on their vehicle don't exactly paint the best picture to those that are "on the fence" when it comes to the 2A. Those that are against it will just use it as ammunition later as an example of us "gun nuts". :rolleyes:

How we dress and carry ourselves , can tell someone a lot about ourselves ...
If that someone is looking for "tells" or clues , that is.

At one time in my life , if I wanted to come home , I needed to be very observant of what was going on around me ...who was around me and just what they were doing.
When we captured enemy troops or detained someone at a checkpoint....it was wise to look at and study the whole person....many things not said with a spoken word , "spoke volumes" about their persons.

The same can be done when out and about here at home...
I am not a criminal , but I am sure that some criminals study and watch for certain behaviors and tells of person , when selecting a victim.

All in all the OP has some good advice...heed it or not as you wish...
Andy

I doubt I am the only one on this forum that has a few 'vests' and other apparel in the closet that we no longer wear. They were 'cool' in their time, and many of us wore them, but times change.
Like when I dug through my shorts drawer and came out wearing those corduroy shorts that came down to the mid thigh that I bought many years ago. I walked out with them on and my wife said, "you are too old to wear those, go change."
And don't ask, this thread is better off without Pics.

The NRA sticker does look a bit like the Globe and Anchor sticker and Uncle Sam's Misguided Children and 'Nam do go hand in hand.

Just to offer up for your consideration, there are so many sheeple, I'd be willing to bet >95% of non carrying public would and did not even notice.
Sounds like you are an aware individual, and WAY more observant than most.

I like to play a game of "find the gun" whenever I see a knife clip strong side (yes, I pocket carry a knife too) as the two go together often. Also brands such as "Sneaky Pete" make it obvious to "those who know".
Sometimes, it's obvious to me, other times not, where the gun is. When I point out to friends if they can see anything, it's almost never. Even when the person literally was open carrying owb on the hip!

My point is, to the average person, you'd be surprised how "bad" someone ccw's, but is NEVER noticed.

There's a situational and geographical component to that too though. That guy might be a lot more conspicuous in Salem or Seatac than my neck o the woods. Saturday I saw 3 open carrys at the BBQ place I ate lunch. In fact, I may have been the only one in the place who wasn't armed. It just wasn't an issue with anyone. I didn't sticker check any of the cars in the lot but I'm sure there were plenty.

Even the NRA sticker is a "Tell" and could gain you and your vehicle extra unwanted attention.
I won't put anything firearms related on my vehicle. I don't want someone breaking in to see if I have a lock box or other items of interest / value!

As for LEO's not giving a crap, I'd make a pretty good wager that if they were out of uniform, you would be hard pressed to see anything that looked like a firearm or cop even.
It just isn't a good idea to attract attention to yourself.
I remember back in the day that people I only had contact with while on duty wouldn't even recognize me in passing on the street. I got a kick out of saying Hi George or Bill or Sue. How are you today? and it would embarrass them when they finally did recognize me. LOL I flustered one , one time and they said "I didn't recognize you with your clothes on" meaning my uniform. o_O:eek:Then were embarrassed when they heard what they had said. LOL I got a big laugh out of that and still do.
Only show off cops made sure everyone knew they were the law. I can visualize several guys who may have an axe to grind with a cop who had put them in the slammer, who did make him, when out of uniform, taking him along with a few of their like minded friends into an alley with a baseball bat, not for a fun game of ball!
Macho men can get their clocks cleaned too ya know!
Gabby

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class