Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Concealed hand gun denied

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Ronny, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Ronny

Ronny Beaverton New Member

Hello have a problem with getting my permit. I had a dws felony from 1992 reduced to a misdonenor being told by attorney that this would allow me to get my permit. I was denied they told me becouse it was an original felony I coulnt get it. What is the point of getting it reduced if it still shows up as a felony still. I can legally own and buy guns. Driving charges cannot get expunged or I would just do that. Anyone have this happen to them. What to do

2. Steve M

Steve M Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Contact Kevin Starrett of OFF, he's fairly familiar with this kind of thing.

3. Tbucket

Tbucket Olympia,Wash. Active Member

Do as Steve recommends..

4. Steve M

I believe that you are up against ORS 166.291(1)(g):
    Has never been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295 (Effect of mental disease or defect), of a felony;

The question is does ORS 166.291(2) apply to you?
    A person who has been granted relief under ORS 166.274 (Relief from prohibition against possessing or purchasing firearm) or 166.293 (Denial or revocation of license) or section 5, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, or 18 U.S.C. 925(c) or has had the persons record expunged under the laws of this state or equivalent laws of other jurisdictions is not subject to the disabilities in subsection (1)(g) to (L) of this section.

That's the part that Kevin can probably help you with understanding and then helping you get the CHL if you qualify.

5. Ronny

6. Ronny

Great how do I get ahold of him

7. Steve M

I put a link in my first reply, but here is the full info:

You may contact us by mail at:

PO Box 556
    Canby OR

By Phone At:

503-263-5830

Or you may contact us by e-mail at:

“off (insert “@”) oregonfirearms.org”

If you are experiencing difficulty with that email address please use our alternate address:

oregonfirearms (insert “@”) gmail.com

The address is listed in the above format to reduce spam. When you write, just place the “@” sign between “off” and “oregonfirearms.org”

If you do not receive a timely response to an e-mail, please call us.

8. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

You get ahold of him by sending him membership fees...to the stated address:D:cool::cool::)

BoonDocks36 and PiratePast40 like this.
  9. All2kool

All2kool Portland, OR Active Member

10. Ronny

I am not fighting for my gun rights to be restored. I have those restored. But becouse on the chl application clearly states you Can never have been convicted of a felony. I cannot find anything about a concealed carry in the law books think its up to the county. And my right to appeal

11. All2kool

All2kool Portland, OR Active Member

If your felony DWS was reduced to a misdemeanor, even post conviction, then answering NO on the application is correct.

12. Ronny

Yes since oregon won't let you expunge driving offenses I cannot get it expunged. I was told that a reduction judgement was as if it never was a felony convictin just like an expungement, you can say it never happened that is my problem I don't know if that is the case here I was hopping someone in this forum has had to deal with this. Sounds like it could be a common problem. Ie, reckless driving ,dui, hit and run. Some examples of a felony wobbler.