JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you seeing my videos or Koda's? What is the shooter wearing?

One drill that I made is called "give me three steps".(if you are over 40, you can sing along)

I have a target next to a heavy bag.

Starting position is both hands on the bag.

At the BEEP, punch the bag.

Begin walking backwards while drawing from concealment.

Fire two rounds, center mass.

Every time I shoot I do the presscheck no fail drill.

The No Fail Shot Drill is one that is easy to explain, but hard to execute clean. The shooter begins at 25 yards, with a B8 target downrange. On timer start, the shooter has to draw their pistol and fire a round into the black scoring rings of the target, with a 3.5 second par time. This is then repeated nine more times, for a total of ten runs. Any round that does not land in the 9,10, or X rings counts as a miss, and the drill is failed. The three stipulations here are that the drill can only be done cold, once per day and that you are allowed to blow the par time in a single run.

Personally I had my best run ever with it today.

00B6208A-B60F-4A0B-A269-7A5304E25892.jpeg

Hey NWF members. There was a fine thread over here that I enjoyed and I posted something regarding training with your concealed pistol, so without derailing that excellent thread I thought I would create a new thread here.

My question is, for you CCW holders out there, what do you do to train? Personally, I go out to BLM and do various drills drawing from concealment. I also do dry fire practice at home. What drills do you run?

Here are a few of my favorites:

SEAL Team 6 Pistol Standards
Valor Ridge Pistol Standards

I-target laser cartridge. Like dry fire, but can be synched to the phone and timer to shot on target can be tracked. This can help you focus on reducing your draw to 1st shot on target time. Works well at home, and can even be used to 'rough' sight in rifles and pistols.

For me. Since the basics of being able to repeatedly put a shot on target are acquired, I focus on speed from draw to 1st round on target the most. How many times you shoot the target is up to you. I vary it. (Avoiding a training scar of shooting a specific amount each time)

Another drill (because I carry a spare mag) is to simulate either a mag failure or a mag change. I perform the draw from concealment, shoot the target, then switch mags pulling my spare from the pouch I carry it in daily. (This is to practice the mechanics of pulling from the pouch, a safariland horizontal pouch)

Body positions, number of targets can also be varied, but in essence, always from concealment, quickly putting shots on target.

I like to use a shot timer for reference.

Practice draw and presentation while simultaneously moving off of the "X".

Practice reloading the firearm in the dark, and weak-handed.

Also Push-ups, Sit-ups, and Leg Lifts.

Another drill I did while I was working armed security.

After I was in uniform and ready to go to work, I would clear and check my weapon empty.

I set my shot timer to a par time of 1.6 seconds.

At the BEEP, I would draw and line up the sights on a target on the wall before the par BEEP.

I would then, do a precision trigger pull, keeping the sights perfectly aligned.

Reset the striker and reholster for five repetitions.

Load, press check, go to work.

Daily dry fire is an act of devotion to the God of war.

Everyone reading this thread should understand there is important differences between pistol games and defensive tactics drills and training.
Precision Pistol and Pistol Games develop specific skills and confidence. Defensive Tactics starts with a specific mind set and requires specific understanding of use of deadly force and the political demographics of self defense.

Defensive Tactics drills should emphasize assessment of threat, verbal commands, "pointed pairs", "Failure to stop drills", even the targets should be "humanoid without an "aiming point"! (Any round inside the "thoracic zone" counts!)

Defensive tactic drills should be arms length to 7 yrds and not beyond 10 yrds. Pointed pairs! Beyond 7/10 yards find cover and use sights!

Defensive Drills develop confidence for sure. There are arguments against every scenario imaginable!

In a video in this thread the shooter moves toward threat firing! This might not pass the "Self Defense" definition of the D.A.!

Before anyone decides to carry for "self defense" understand:
Situational Awareness
Threat assessment
Just leave
Find cover (Cover vs. Concealment)
Verbal commands
Failure to stop drill (Two COM, assess, one head!)
Assessment of additional threat
Reload/Re-holster a fully loaded firearm!
Render first aid
What not to say!
How to cooperate with LEO's

THE SELF DEFENSE ATTORNEY YOU WANT WILL BE CHARGING $800 AN HOUR!

Smiles,

Last Edited:
Anybody hear when Open Season starts?

Last Edited:
Everyone reading this thread should understand there is important differences between pistol games and defensive tactics drills and training.
Precision Pistol and Pistol Games develop specific skills and confidence. Defensive Tactics starts with a specific mind set and requires specific understanding of use of deadly force and the political demographics of self defense.

Defensive Tactics drills should emphasize assessment of threat, verbal commands, "pointed pairs", "Failure to stop drills", even the targets should be "humanoid without an "aiming point"! (Any round inside the "thoracic zone" counts!)

Defensive tactic drills should be arms length to 7 yrds and not beyond 10 yrds. Pointed pairs! Beyond 7/10 yards find cover and use sights!

Defensive Drills develop confidence for sure. There are arguments against every scenario imaginable!

In a video in this thread the shooter moves toward threat firing! This might not pass the "Self Defense" definition of the D.A.!

Before anyone decides to carry for "self defense" understand:
Situational Awareness
Threat assessment
Just leave
Find cover (Cover vs. Concealment)
Verbal commands
Failure to stop drill (Two COM, assess, one head!)
Assessment of additional threat
Reload/Re-holster a fully loaded firearm!
Render first aid
What not to say!
How to cooperate with LEO's

THE SELF DEFENSE ATTORNEY YOU WANT WILL BE CHARGING $800 AN HOUR!

Smiles,

There will be times when advancing to the threat may be the best way to keep yourself and innocent people safe.

You BETTER be able to Explain why moving forward was the best choice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top