JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey NWF members. There was a fine thread over here that I enjoyed and I posted something regarding training with your concealed pistol, so without derailing that excellent thread I thought I would create a new thread here.

My question is, for you CCW holders out there, what do you do to train? Personally, I go out to BLM and do various drills drawing from concealment. I also do dry fire practice at home. What drills do you run?

Here are a few of my favorites:

SEAL Team 6 Pistol Standards
Valor Ridge Pistol Standards

1. Draws from concealment/dry fire
2. Both hands/strong hand/weak hand shooting
3. USPSA shoots and "pseudo" IDPA-type shoots (we make up our own COF)
4. CQB drills
5. Double taps/rapid-fire to CM/headshots
6. When shooting USPSA-type drills, have your buddy slip an unknown (to you) number of snap caps into your mags - teaches MF clearing.
Similar to this drill. While not the same as the Devil Drill (reloading from slide-lock), this drill speaks to clearing unanticipated MFs. And aren't all MFs unanticipated?
7. Whatever you worked on that day, end every session with accuracy drills

Last Edited:
I love using random snap caps in several magazines! I just sprinkle them in a pile of bullets and load a hand full of magazines so you don't remember which snap cap(s) went where. The randomness created not only help with clearing malfunctions but, especially for newer shooters, you can clearly see when you dip the muzzle due to anticipation or poor trigger control.

Awesome info guys. Looks like I've got some new routines to integrate into my training!

Part of my routine is I always start the day with a first shot drill cold, no warmups. 7yds, 8" target, 1 shot, 1.5seconds from concealment. Im generally about 1.7 - 2.0 depending on the cover garment.

Since I can't practice a lot of stuff I want to at a range, I use CO2 for the stuff I can't. With those I can do it at home and come somewhat close to it. When shooting at the range I do practice weak hand, one hand, non dominant eye, hitting both high on target, like top of chest / neck, and low like pelvic. This for in case CM hits seem to not be working. Seems a lot of the dobads like soft body armor now days. LOT of them seem to be what I call drug zombies. Soak up rounds and seem all but unaffected. Those are the ones that scare me when I see it.

Seems a lot of the dobads like soft body armor now days. LOT of them seem to be what I call drug zombies. Soak up rounds and seem all but unaffected.
This is where the double-tap headshot comes in. Me and a buddy actually started practicing those after Jack Wilson made a fine example out of a dobad with one...

This is where the double-tap headshot comes in. Me and a buddy actually started practicing those after Jack Wilson made a fine example out of a dobad with one...
Yep, I have often said before camera's everywhere I did not really believe most of these stories I used to hear. Figured most if not all were over blown or made up. Now I have seen so many of them it is scary to watch. It's why I practice for both neck and groin. If I can hit them in top of chest / neck spine. If I can hit groin good chance they will at least fall and I can move away. All those video's of these guys are eye opening. Seeing people soak up rounds and just refuse to stop.

The problem with doubles to the head the head is often not in the same place after the first shot and an automatic second shot can miss the mark. A single deliberate shoot, follow through, assess, another single deliberate shot as required.

Yeah, I did say double-tap in the case of Jack Wilson. He only fired one shot to drop the dude, then assessed. My bad.

But I do practice two-to-the-chest, one-to-the-head fairly often.
After we finish the day of our USPSA-style shoots, we typically go around one more time without the timer or tape and do a run with 2/1 taps. It's kinda lotta fun...

Yeah, I did say double-tap in the case of Jack Wilson. He only fired one shot to drop the dude, then assessed. My bad.

But I do practice two-to-the-chest, one-to-the-head fairly often.
After we finish the day of our USPSA-style shoots, we typically go around one more time without the timer or tape and do a run with 2/1 taps. It's kinda lotta fun...

Yeah, I practice drawing from concealment and double-tap to center mass probably more than any other drill. I also use a shot timer app.

What app do you use? I was just about to pull the trigger on a USPSA-type shot timer. An app would be way cheaper...

Thanks, @Koda!
I'll hafta see if that's available in the App Store. I don't use Android.

@sobo I forgot about that, I dont know whats available for other phone systems.
Well, I never thought to look for an app (I'm a professional Luddite).
Seems that's there's at least a dozen different shot timer apps I the App Store. Now which to choose... :rolleyes:

Do either of you guys know if you can use the app and the phone's video simultaneously?
That seems to be a conundrum of ours that we haven't figured out yet, other than putting a phone in each hand and following the shooter through the COF.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top