JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TEXAS CHURCH.

Jack Wilson, Dec 2019.

Start at the 20 yard line with the weapon concealed.

At the BEEP, move to the 15 yard line while drawing your weapon.

At 15 yards, fire one round at a 4 inch target.

The goal is to consistently hit a 4 inch target in under 5 seconds.

I'm not that good. I use a 6 inch plate. My times are in the 6-8 second range.

Earlier this year (pre-COVID), a buddy and I tried this same thing at our range, with a slight variation in distance and approach to target.
We figured that Jack Wilson was no more than 12 yards from the shooter when he dropped him, so we start from 15 yards, around a blind corner of the USPSA course.
Start position is at 15 yards, carrying concealed, standing, with view to target blocked by a solid wall.
At the BEEP, clear your jacket/shirt, simultaneously draw and advance the 3 yards to the corner, turn the corner, and engage the target at the 12-yard distance.
Fire one round at the A-zone of the head of a USPSA target.
The goal is to consistently hit the head A-zone in under 6 seconds from the BEEP (the time recorded in Jack Wilson's scenario, as reported by media).
We did this for about 8 reps each. By the end of 3 or 4 reps, I was consistency hitting between the eyes in 4.5 to 5 seconds.

Earlier this year (pre-COVID), a buddy and I tried this same thing at our range, with a slight variation in distance and approach to target.
We figured that Jack Wilson was no more than 12 yards from the shooter when he dropped him, so we start from 15 yards, around a blind corner of the USPSA course.
Start position is at 15 yards, carrying concealed, standing, with view to target blocked by a solid wall.
At the BEEP, clear your jacket/shirt, simultaneously draw and advance the 3 yards to the corner, turn the corner, and engage the target at the 12-yard distance.
Fire one round at the A-zone of the head of a USPSA target.
The goal is to consistently hit the head A-zone in under 6 seconds from the BEEP (the time recorded in Jack Wilson's scenario, as reported by media).
We did this for about 8 reps each. By the end of 3 or 4 reps, I was consistency hitting between the eyes in 4.5 to 5 seconds.
6 seconds is really an eternity for that scenario I'm a practice situation unless you have a lot of no shoot targets to identify.

We did have 2 N/S set up, one on either side of the shooter (it really didn't seem to alter the times much after the first rep, since we knew which one was the shooter).
And we started with 6 seconds cuz that was the amount of time it reportedly took Wilson to neutralize the threat, from the shooter's first blast to Wilson's shot.
I agree that 6 seconds is a long time, but as I said, I was consistently successful in putting a round into the head A-zone in under 5 seconds after the first couple of reps.

My best time with a successful hit in the upper A-zone was 4.2 seconds, the longest was 4.8 seconds. All under 5 seconds...
My first 3 or 4 attempts were in the 4.5 to 5-second range, but I failed to land the shot within the A-zone box, although I still hit the silhouette somewhere in the head...

Last Edited:
Give it a shot (no pun intended)!
We set it up to have to move ~10 feet along a wall from the starting position, then turn 90° around the outside corner of the wall, before you could see the target.
That took about 3 seconds right there, from the get-go. That gave me less than 2 seconds to acquire and engage the target at 12 yards once I turned the corner.

Last Edited:
Oh, and I eventually did get the shot timer.
After much research and talking with others whose opinions I respect, I went with the Pocket Pro II.
Really glad I did. Absolutely love it!
Pocket Pro2.JPG

Well, you all are pretty impressive. I hope you're on my side when the shooting starts.

I spoke to the company that makes these targets awhile back, and they said it would be possible to modify this target so it has a 2" movable plate in its forehead. One of these days, I hope to add one of these to my little range.

79F855C1-E937-4D5B-AAE5-56627E9AF043.jpeg

Kudos to you all for putting in the time to do the drills.

Are you teaching your daughters to shoot with that target? :s0140:

Then have her aim for the left ball... You know what they say... "Aim small, miss small." :s0140:

I'm curious about the kind of drills you all are doing.

Do you, for instance, practice shooting from various positions and situations?

Sitting in a car? Driving? Back seat?

Sitting at a table? Lying in bed?

Just curious about how specific you get with the drills.

I take a fighting around vehicle course once a year for fun. Other than that most of my practice is standing. Shooting is shooting and stance doesn't effect my shooting much. Shooting in odd positions like around barricades or laying in odd positions I train as it is much harder to find my sights

Like @Esam85, I also take an annual course working with a vehicle. This includes not only shooting around the vehicle (using it as cover/concealment), but also shooting towards the vehicle (threats are inside it), and also shooting from inside the vehicle (you, as the defender, are inside it and shooting outwards through the glass). Also shooting from under it.

So yeah, there's a lot of crawling around under the front bumper/engine block area which requires some different sighting skills to get on target.
Also use my range's pistol bays to shoot from various positions (CQC, prone and supine - both head-toward and feet-towards threat, lying on side, rolling around on the ground, etc.). You get the idea...

I tried to go play paintball once or twice a year. It gave me a clear understanding of how you have to move when 'stuff' is flying through the air. It also reminded me how little time a target will be exposed.

I'm in my late 50's. I figured if I could beat teenagers in decisions, speed and accuracy, I was ok to wear a uniform and carry a gun.

I never had the money nor time to play paintball when I was younger, but now that I'm older (61 this coming fall) and have more time and money, I do a 2-day weekend training every year that uses the UTM rounds. They smart like a sonofabubblegum if you get tagged by one of those...

Got shot in the fingers in my first encounter (what a n00b... :rolleyes: ). It was a face-off duel with a dude who had taken the class a year before me. He knew the ROE already, and employed them instantly while I was still trying to figure out how the game was played. Those wounds are through tactical gloves.
I got back at him good the next day, though. Caught him right in the forehead just above his facemask. He bled out... :s0140:
UTM_wounds1.jpg
These are wounds sustained through a thick sweatshirt - three hits under the arm. It was a 3-way battle, and I exposed myself from behind cover to engage one attacker while the third guy caught me with my arms outstretched while I was shooting at the second guy. Those hits really stung...
UTM_wounds2.JPG

Last Edited:
I never had the money nor time to play paintball when I was younger, but now that I'm older (61 this coming fall) and have more time and money, I do a 2-day weekend training every year that uses the UTM rounds. They smart like a sonofabubblegum if you get tagged by one of those...

Got shot in the fingers in my first encounter (what a n00b... :rolleyes: ). It was a face-off duel with a dude who had taken the class a year before me. He knew the ROE already, and employed them instantly while I was still trying to figure out how the game was played. Those wounds are through tactical gloves.
I got back at him good the next day, though. Caught him right in the forehead just above his facemask. He bled out... :s0140:
View attachment 736397
These are wounds sustained through a thick sweatshirt - three hits under the arm. It was a 3-way battle, and I exposed myself from behind cover to engage one attacker while the third guy caught me with my arms outstretched while I was shooting at the second guy. Those hits really stung...
View attachment 736398
Crying like a little baby in training.....

.....means that you are learning lessons that allow you to go home at the end of your shift.

No sh1t! Some of those really hurt! :s0140:

UTM training is some really good stuff!
Teaches you a lot without actually getting yourself deaded.
I highly recommend it if you can find it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top