JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I saw a sign at the collectors west gun and knife show at the fairgrounds last weekend that said "No loaded firearms, no exception except law enforcement."

Is this intended for people bringing firearms for trade? (I know last year back East someone got shot when a shotgun went off while a guy was opening his rifle bag.)

Or are they asking people with their CPL to unload their carry pieces before entering? If so, what are the consequences of ignoring this sign? I found no actual legislation regarding this.

Cabella's requires the same thing in Springfield - how are gun related , supposedly pro 2A entities able to get away with this by the Pro 2A supporters. When do we start treating these groups like we did Park Rose Hardware by boycotting them. It is nice to know that Parkrose Hardware saw the light.

OK some think this is BS but the truth of the matter is you find a holster you just have tp have and then try it with a loaded gun? or unload the gun in the middle of a busy show?
I don't think either is good.
The idea is all guns are unloaded then when showing them or trading etc,the guns are safe. Heck we had a thread on here about guns going off in gun stores and killing people.
I was at a gun shop after stopping at a show and a guy was showing off his new gun that he bought at the show.
It was loaded. He had never checked it at the show and apparently neither did the vender

These are the show's rules not legislation or state laws. The only thing that can happen is you are asked to leave and don't bother coming to the next show either.It will be the security that takes you to the door and they will remember your face.

NW Armory in Portland has a similar sign, so I asked about it. They said that if you were carrying concealed, then to leave it concealed. It seemed more like a safety issue with inexperienced people trying to clear their weapon. I was also at Keith's in Portland when one of the salespeople asked an individual to take their loaded firearm outside to their car to clear the weapon rather than doing it in the store. The guns shows might have a similar rule, if concealed, leave it concealed.

Like ^^ said, there are no state carry restrictions for gun shows.

There is no legal requirement, and it is done out of a desire to prevent accidents. We don't want to make national headlines for the anti's to parade around. I was really annoyed at first, then pissed, then realized it isn't a terrible idea.

Although I think the sign should do more to explain the reasoning. If you have it concealed, leave it there and don't touch it for any reason unrelated to an immediate threat. If you have a gun that you are looking for a holster/accessory for, don't carry that one concealed to the show. I think that would make it feel less anti-2A. It is easy to forget or make mistakes, that includes gun owners. Checking firearms coming to the show for sale/trade/accessorizing is a safety thing, not a political statement.

Cabella's requires the same thing in Springfield - how are gun related , supposedly pro 2A entities able to get away with this by the Pro 2A supporters. When do we start treating these groups like we did Park Rose Hardware by boycotting them. It is nice to know that Parkrose Hardware saw the light.

That is very odd, either there is a local law causing it or you have misread the sign. I carry cocked and locked in Cabellas on every visit in Olympia, open and concealed.

That is very odd, either there is a local law causing it or you have misread the sign. I carry cocked and locked in Cabellas on every visit in Olympia, open and concealed.

The only Cabela's I have been to is the one in Springfield Oregon, there is a booth as you come walking in the front door and they require that your pistol is unloaded and tie wrapped.

The only Cabela's I have been to is the one in Springfield Oregon, there is a booth as you come walking in the front door and they require that your pistol is unloaded and tie wrapped.

Oops, I've never seen that sign.

OK some think this is BS but the truth of the matter is you find a holster you just have tp have and then try it with a loaded gun? or unload the gun in the middle of a busy show?
If I understand what you are saying correctly this is negligence and poor planning. If I am going to look for a new holster for my firearm and feel I may want to check the fit I will follow their rule and unload before I enter. If I have gone to the gun show for another reason and happen to find a holster I like I would ask to use an unloaded firearm from the vendor to check fit or if it is possible to take the holster to a nearby vendor that has an unloaded firearm to check. I would not even consider touching my own in this instance as there is only one reason to draw the firearm and checking fit is nowhere near it.

I seem to remember it stating that if you intended to do business with them which involved any handling of your firearm that it must be safety checked and flagged by them. Correct me if I am wrong, it has been a few years and I was only there once.

Last Edited:
If I understand what you are saying correctly this is negligence and poor planning. If I am going to look for a new holster for my firearm and feel I may want to check the fit I will follow their rule and unload before I enter. If I have gone to the gun show for another reason and happen to find a holster I like I would ask to use an unloaded firearm from the vendor to check fit or if it is possible to take the holster to a nearby vendor that has an unloaded firearm to check. I would not even consider touching my own in this instance as there is only one reason to draw the firearm and checking fit is nowhere near it.

That's great but there are plenty who would just pull out a loaded firearm and unload it ,probably pointing it at a few as they did.
No you have pissed off people that just got swept.

I had to tell a guy outside the Centralia show to clear his gun if he was going to sweep everyone with it.he was talking with his hands too!
Hey these are private shows and sometimes the facility wants it this way also

Only if you intend on fitting it for holsters or such.Concealed carry or your open carried firearm is fine as long as it stays in the holster.
At least that's what it was last time I was at Lacey

That makes good sense, and I figured it was a safety thing.

The sign should definitely explain the reasoning a little better (And even mention that if you decide you need to test a holster fit, to clear your firearm outside, or maybe they could provide a clearing tube like Sportsman's Warehouse has at customer service.)

I agree that if I intended to check a holster fit, I would clear the gun before leaving my car.

I once had a person lay a loaded rifle on my table at a local show after he assured me it was unloaded.
There are PPL that attempt to load firearms at shows hoping that fired to further their anti-gun agenda

Another angle I did not consider in the past was quite simply: Theft. How easy would it be to slip a vendor's pistol into one's IWB holster and stroll out? Impossible to check serial numbers by security, and the would-be thief would say Dude, its mine! I brought it in...

Another angle I did not consider in the past was quite simply: Theft. How easy would it be to slip a vendor's pistol into one's IWB holster and stroll out? Impossible to check serial numbers by security, and the would-be thief would say Dude, its mine! I brought it in...

They don't restrict you from carrying a pistol or IWB holster, they just don't want loaded firearms. (Presumably loaded firearms being handled)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top