JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious.... I was told that it is legal to carry a firearm in Oregon without a permit as long as the weapon is not loaded. First I would like to know if that is true and second, if it is true, is it then legal to have a loaded mag on your person at the same time? I'm doubting it but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance.

It's called Open Carry.

There's a couple threads on here about this right now.

Just curious.... I was told that it is legal to carry a firearm in Oregon without a permit as long as the weapon is not loaded. First I would like to know if that is true

No, that is not true. You can open carry and it CAN be loaded.

and second, if it is true, is it then legal to have a loaded mag on your person at the same time? I'm doubting it but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance.

Where you run into problems is when you start talking about public buildings, schools (Federal law applies) and in city limits (Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Salem etc) where they have specifically banned carrying loaded guns and or magazines. A CHL overides all of these laws and OR is a shall issue state so I strongly suggest you just get the license.

If for some reason you can't get your CHL then a speedloader and a revolver carried openly and a copy of ORS 166 is your best alternative IMO.

Sorry. My bad. I should have been more specific. I don't actually care if it's concealed or open. I was curious either way. And yes I mean without a permit. I do plan on getting one which I know will solve all my problems but I'm just wondering for now until I get it. If I have an unloaded weapon in one holster and a loaded mag in another holster, can I carry?

if its now loaded, carry a 1992 cellphone or a rock. they aren't worth as much or hit as hard when thrown as a diversion. If your in the rainy part of Oregon.

An OR CHL provides you some safety/luxuries,

Cities can be finicky, learn the rules where you live, and SPECIFICALLY for your county (your sheriff is in charge usually) where you travel, esp w/o a CHL the loaded mag rule and 'availability' of a weapon can be tricky for anyone but the officer to decide.
Unless its an OC ( and out of many major OR cities) leave your mag in your "locked trunk"
Just In Case!!!!
until you have your CHL!!!
better safe than... you get it.

if its now loaded, carry a 1992 cellphone or a rock. they aren't worth as much or hit as hard when thrown as a diversion. If your in the rainy part of Oregon.

An OR CHL provides you some safety/luxuries,

Cities can be finicky, learn the rules where you live, and SPECIFICALLY for your county (your sheriff is in charge usually) where you travel, esp w/o a CHL the loaded mag rule and 'availability' of a weapon can be tricky for anyone but the officer to decide.
Unless its an OC ( and out of many major OR cities) leave your mag in your "locked trunk" Just In Case!!!!
until you have your CHL!!!
better safe than... you get it.

From the City of Portland charter:

B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

<broken link removed>

Yes it's legal to open carry a loaded firearm (one in the pipe, full mag, extra mag etc) in the state of Oregon.

It is legal to open carry a pistol in city limits.

It is NOT legal to carry a loaded magazine in the city limits regardless of where it is located in the car.

A CHL makes all of the stupid city limitations moot.

As I stated earlier, if you can't get a CHL for whatever purpose or you are still waiting for it and you still want to carry a gun your best bet is a revolver and a speed loader. Just make sure the gun is in the open and not in the glove box or under the seat etc (aka concealed).

Without muddying the waters too much there is a Federal law that prevents you from open carrying a gun on school property without a CHL.

My little rule of thumb is to open carry in the woods and not in the cities.

The larger populated areas of Oregon are not populated by conservative farm boys or ranchers. They swing way off the liberal scale and they will get very excited if they see you openly packing a weapon. Unloaded or not.

Spend the time to obtain a carry permit and avoid the hassles.

My little rule of thumb is to open carry in the woods and not in the cities.

The larger populated areas of Oregon are not populated by conservative farm boys or ranchers. They swing way off the liberal scale and they will get very excited if they see you openly packing a weapon. Unloaded or not.

Spend the time to obtain a carry permit and avoid the hassles.

Or get a fishing/hunting combo license and always be going or coming from either activity.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top