JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hello it's summer and I was wondering where/how do you carry if your going swimming.

I like to go topical lakes and rivers with my family, buy find the public places we go packed with unsavory people and have gotten into arguments a few times with different people at different places.

I daily carry and have been faced with this Delma. I am talking about full on swimming not just wadding.

The one thing I have tried doing was getting a small hard plastic lunch pale that folds over and locks. It has worked so so but is not the best idea as it floats and could be filled with water and lost.

So I thought I'd ask you guys and see if you have had the same issue and what you've done for it.

Jp

This is a joke right?
Maybe go some place civil to swim?
I mean if I can't even go to a beach to have a good time I'll stay home. There is plenty ofplaces to get in the water in both Oregon and Washington that you don't have to swim with a gun in your speedo

I know this I snt really what you're asking,as I don't carry when I'm actually IN the water swimming..but when I go canoeing I put everything that needs to stay dry in a .30 Cal ammo can,and tether it to the canoe. Like others have mentioned,id just avoid places like that. I don't think carrying and arguing with drunks is the best policy.

I use Dry Bag's, the kind the white water folks use! You can find just about any size from a pack of smokes up to a double wide body bag! Wrap yer pistol up after a good lubing, and you should be G.T.G I do a LOT of Kayaking and this works out well! When I was up in the PNW, I did a lot of Sea Kayaking, and these bags really keep things dry and salt free! Try Sportsmans in Salem or if you get to Portland, Andy and Bax! On line, Amazon has a good selection too!

For me if I had to go to a place where I wanted to carry I just would not swim and let the family have fun.

If I had to get into the water I'd look at what waterproof bags are available for kayaking. They will have a lot of options for dry bags, backpacks or waist bags that will be waterproof.

Kayak Touring > Dry Bags & Cases at nrs.com (http://www.nrs.com/category/3070/kayak-touring/dry-bags-cases)
CKS| Boxes & Bags: Gear Bags, Dry Bags, Dry Boxes, Travel Bags (http://www.coloradokayak.com/Gear-Accessories/Boxes-Bags_2)

Me, I'd go the serious negative buoyancy route. Hey, cover and concealment right there.
Think a Smith 629 .44 magnum with a loadout of around 60 340gr slugs.. when TSHTF you'll sink like a rock!

Stainless Bauer .25 Auto in my cutoffs back pocket. Should I seriously need to go in the water with my pistol a simple ziplock sandwich bag would do. I have been at the beach many many times in nothing but a pair of cutoffs and had my little Bauer on me.

Granted its not a combat street fighting pistol. But let me dump 3-4 hollow point rounds into your chest and then you hit me. Lets see how you make out.

Stainless Bauer .25 Auto in my cutoffs back pocket. Should I seriously need to go in the water with my pistol a simple ziplock sandwich bag would do. I have been at the beach many many times in nothing but a pair of cutoffs and had my little Bauer on me.

Granted its not a combat street fighting pistol. But let me dump 3-4 hollow point rounds into your chest and then you hit me. Lets see how you make out.

Yes this and the dry bag suggestions are what i was looking for.
I will look into the Bauer it looks like a good little gun at a reasonable price as well.

Thank you.

I got the Info I was looking for.
Thank you guys.

Now that the original question is gone, we are left to assume he's putting an NAA sized gun in an ammo can that's tied to a canoe, all inside of in a big dry bag that's going to be stuffed into his Speedos to keep his dog safe from Pit Bulls while he's swimming (not just wading) at the beach.;)

I'm only guessing here...
...but I assume that he's really going the small/tiny pistol in a dry bag route.

Let's hope the guy realizes that because it was one of those goofy "sounding" questions to a problem that many of us have from time-to-time, we tend to have fun with it...a sense of humor really can be an asset pretty much anywhere from gun forums to beaches...but will it fit in a speedo?

Glad we could help.

Last Edited:
Guys, we as gun owners are never going to succeed in recruiting new people if this is how we treat people looking for answers to honest questions. I've removed those replies from this thread, please consider this going forward.

Is that a Glock in your trunks sir.... really take a life jacket. your far more likely to drown than need a piece. :cool:

More seriously, any premium gold dot or PA1 ammo loaded Glock will tolerate being submersed to a couple of meters. Get a deep cover sock with your favorite 5.11 shorts and you are good to go. Don't forget to add a tethered concealed carry permit.

Any good nail polish lacquer will seal white box or similar. Wick very lightl arount the primer pocket and the case/bullet. I use a tooth-pick.really need very little. Done if you rock a Glock, prep with a regular amout of oil/grease and then just swim and enjoy. When you get home field strip. Spray liberally with Balistol, re-oil and leave to dry overnight. Done.

Last Edited:
probably one of the only situations where Id reccomend off body carry, fully enclosed zipped soft case in a carry bag or backpack. If the scene at the destination isnt looking friendly enough I wouldnt swim there anyways.

This brings up a good point with a "wet" carry vs a "dry" inside a bag or case! For wet, what we did in the service was use Filson tincloth treatment brought to liquid state on low heat, dipped each shell in and let set till solid, then wipe off with a rag and load the mags! Even a blued pistol (Colt Delta Elite) would stand up to salt water for short periods with out more then a good shake, and clean and lube when able!

I use Dry Bag's, the kind the white water folks use! You can find just about any size from a pack of smokes up to a double wide body bag! Wrap yer pistol up after a good lubing, and you should be G.T.G I do a LOT of Kayaking and this works out well! When I was up in the PNW, I did a lot of Sea Kayaking, and these bags really keep things dry and salt free! Try Sportsmans in Salem or if you get to Portland, Andy and Bax! On line, Amazon has a good selection too!
Andy & Bax has the bags and some trick Pelican boxes too. I can't quite fit my G43 perfection in this one but there are larger waterproof available.
image.jpeg

A Keltec P32 stainless in a zip-lock bag. Stuff it down your speedos. The ladies will be more impressed if it's stuffed in front, rather than in back. :confused:

I really love those Pelican cases, the 1010 and 1060 are about the best size for pocket carry of things you NEED on your person should things go south! I use the 1010 as a small emergency pocket kit, and the larger 1060 as a back up with additional gear and a few rounds of rifle ammo! With those, I could loose every thing else, and still make it out alive! Bonus is that these cases float!

Y'all have come with some good ideas for waster and guns. And Joe,I do understand trying to help new folks.
BUT the fact remains IF you know you will need a gun to go swimming,you need a new swimming spot.
Doesn't matter if it's thee coolest spot in the world.
If there are drunks looking to fight,as a CC person,my oh should find a new place to go. You should never go to a place,knowing that there will be drunks and you might need your gun to fend them off
It's just irresponceable. It would be looking for a fight.
Now if you wanted to get rid of the riffraff then taking a few buddies a few times would be better.
When I lived in Tacoma ,I always knew where and when I could go some place. Never when just because I was carrying.
My 2cents

Hello it's summer and I was wondering where/how do you carry if your going swimming.

I like to go topical lakes and rivers with my family, buy find the public places we go packed with unsavory people and have gotten into arguments a few times with different people at different places.

I daily carry and have been faced with this Delma. I am talking about full on swimming not just wadding.

The one thing I have tried doing was getting a small hard plastic lunch pale that folds over and locks. It has worked so so but is not the best idea as it floats and could be filled with water and lost.

So I thought I'd ask you guys and see if you have had the same issue and what you've done for it.

Jp
I too carry every day, in a perfect world I would conceal carry on my body all the time.. However in life there are many scenarios where that is not a possibility. The gym and the swimming pool (for me) are two areas where off the body
carry has to be implemented.

For water based activities Ive used:
*A bag left near our stuff, descretley hidden and my eyes had to stay on it the whole time.
I didnt enjoy having to nanny my stuff and constantly worry about it, so I tried a floating toy with a water proof container that housed our drinks (and my pistol). Its large enough to not lose sight of and my pistol stays dry and accessible.

^^ Ive only done that twice at the lake though.

If you had a plastic wrap machine and a heat gun you could just wrap your firearm in plastic
(the kitchen vacuum sealing machines), cut and seal it and have a perfect form fit that would be 100% water proof. From there any fanny pack (you dont mind getting soaked and being a dedicated water holster) would be your method or retention for the firearm.

Problem solved.

I have carried while out at the river on multiple occasions. Just a secure IWB holster with a Glock 26 and cargo shorts. You might want to test your gun and loads submerged in water before your next adventure.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads