JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I concur with the previous advice to try some more guns - there are lots out there.

I have a Kahr PM9 that works for me - slimmer than double-stack guns. Do take a look at a snub-nose revolver (S&W 642, Ruger SP101, Taurus M85) - lots of folks use those. There are times when I think the 642 works better for me than the PM9.

A lot of great advice in here. I'd strongly support the advice to get behind a broad variety of guns at a range with good rental options, or interfacing with those on the board here who would be willing to help out in your area. Also, a strong voice in support of doing the research and getting a really good holster and belt from the start.

As to caliber, I started and essentially remain a .45acp fan - not out of any delusions of mystical powers, but because it's an immensely satisfying and "balanced feeling" round to me, even as a smaller framed individual. However, I am falling in love with the .357 sig the more I shoot it, for what it's worth - a Glock chambered for .40 gets you a long ways, as you can easily put in a 357 sig and 9mm conversion barrels. You may be able to do the same with the GAP/ACP frames, but I've never looked into that. All contingent upon liking the Glock profile, really.

I've heard that Kahrs are notoriously snappy because of their light weight, if that's an issue - I'll never know, I don't care for the idea of buying a Moonie gun.

Check out the Ruger SR9-C. It is as thin and light as the Taurus and more reliable.

Ruger is the only full time manufacturer of American made firearms. Reliable, accurate, affordable and you are contributing to our economy not Brazil's.

Last Edited:
I am sorry, if you are going to carry 5 or 6 friends with you. In most cases, 45 acp is the best choose. Look at Kahr cw45, p45,pm45.
I am looking to purchase a hand gun for Concealed carry.
I don't know whether to go with a 9mm or 40 S&W.

I have handled the following

1. Springfield XD 40 cal
2. Taurus PT 709
3. S&W MP9C

I like the sleekness and compact size of the Taurus. But don't know if a 9mm has enough stopping power and don't know much about Taurus's reputation.
Smith & Wesson seems too expensive.
XD - seems to bulky for CC.

Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Jesse

I have shot a lot of different guns over a long period of time. carried just as many. you really need to figure this out first. How am i going to be concealing it? this means as much as far as a purchase as anything.
in the winter or when wearing a coat or long shirt i carry a H&K p30 in 9mm
that's my newest carry gun. i have carried everything from a sig 210 to a H&k k3 380 acp. also carried a sig 220. i'm a big guy at 6'4 300 so i can conceal a lot of different guns.
next thing you need to find out is what sight radius works best for you. for me anything in the size of a H&Kusp compact or p30/ glock 23 or 19 and the sig 228 229. those are my favorites. all for different reasons but all have about the same length of sight radius.i can hit what ever i aim at with any of those. but give me a sig 226,glock 17,beretta 92 and i don't do as well.
as far as recoil i would think real hard about the caliber. usually higher caliber less rounds and a harder follow up shot. i can't shoot 40's any more due to my wrist but i can shoot 357 sig different type of recoil. in 40 i'm all over the target in 357 sig i shoot it like a 9mm.

so i guess these would be the two i would choose if i was looking for something in a compact not subcompact.
H&K P30 ya get 15 rounds of nine in a gun that is less than a 1/2 bigger than a H&K usp compact. the gun is thinner and with a lem trigger ya can't go wrong or with like me a variant 3. they are not as blocky as the usp compact.and being able to adjust the grip pannels on the sides and back can give you a gun that fits like a glove.

next if you want to go more versitile go with a glock 23. being able to change it from a 40 to a 357 sig or even getting a 9mm aftermarket barrel and glock 19 mags make it a really good choice.

this is just my experience and like everyone else here they are just my opinions and we all know about those lol.
good luck with what ever you choose. finding the perfect gun is almost impossible but all the guys here can give you a better chance at getting close.

XD makes a 45 in a 4 inch barrel with a compact grip that is in the price range for ya. Holds 10 rounds of 45 (nice amount) in the smaller grip size and the 4 inch barrel easily disappears. Plus its just a slight bigger than the XD sub-comps. Food for thought!

Used to have Glock 19, downsized to a Kel-Tec PF9, I played around with the idea of getting a 26 instead. It carries very well, great for pocket carry in just about anything. Very light and slim. With 7+1 of 9mm it is well worth the trade off in weight and size of a 26 or subcompact XD. Trading 3 rounds (or 8 for the 19) for something that will fit in my pocket and be with me 24/7 is well worth it for me.

I had a PT709 for a while and really liked it for concealed carry. It never failed in the 500ish rounds I put through it, and it was pleasant to shoot.

The Portland Police have managed to "stop" plenty of people just fine with the 9mm.

5 policemen/woman and they each shoot 10 rds, so out of 50 rds they hit with 4 or 5. Spray and pray I guess.

I've owned one Kel-Tec "wonder 9", then I converted it to a .357 sig or .40, but now it's a Taurus PT-145 for me. 10+1 of .45 should be enough, although I do carry an add'l 20 on me or within reach most of the time. Unless in the car, then it's .44 Special with a speed loader.

Take a look at the Kahr 9's. Well built, reliable and very small. The smallest, I think it's the CW 9 is almost as small as the Kel-Tec's but 100 times the gun. Check with Buford Guns off hwy 20. Ask for David, he can hook you up.

Take a look at the Kahr 9's. Well built, reliable and very small. The smallest, I think it's the CW 9 is almost as small as the Kel-Tec's but 100 times the gun. Check with Buford Guns off hwy 20. Ask for David, he can hook you up.

Kahr pm9 is the smallest. Cw9 is two sizes bigger in their line. Still small but too thick for pocket carry IMO. Pm9 is smaller than the pf9 but heavier. Great size for a 9mm for everyday concealability.

Good choice!

If you ever decide to get a holster, most holsters made for a Glock compact (G23) will work with a Glock subcompact (G27). This is because the barrel of your G27 is only 1/2 an inch shorter, but the slide and frame are the same, except for the shortened grip. Useful to know if you want to get a bigger gun someday, but don't want to buy another holster for it.

You should get more time behind a wider variety of guns. Remember that shot placement is key. A 22lr with proper shot placement is more lethal than a 50bmg with poor shot placement. [/QUOTE]

No doubt about shot placement.... but even if you wing someone with a .50 bmg it is going to rip that limb off. Ill take the .50:s0155:

But seriously, buy the one that you like and that you shoot well. If it is not comfortable in your hands, and you cannot hit anything with it you will more than likely not practice with it. Furthermore when you need it it will be in the safe because you will not carry it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top