JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to purchase a hand gun for Concealed carry.
I don't know whether to go with a 9mm or 40 S&W.

I have handled the following

1. Springfield XD 40 cal
2. Taurus PT 709
3. S&W MP9C

I like the sleekness and compact size of the Taurus. But don't know if a 9mm has enough stopping power and don't know much about Taurus's reputation.
Smith & Wesson seems too expensive.
XD - seems to bulky for CC.

Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Jesse

I am looking to purchase a hand gun for Concealed carry.
I don't know whether to go with a 9mm or 40 S&W.

I have handled the following

1. Springfield XD 40 cal
2. Taurus PT 709
3. S&W MP9C

I like the sleekness and compact size of the Taurus. But don't know if a 9mm has enough stopping power and don't know much about Taurus's reputation.
Smith & Wesson seems too expensive.
XD - seems to bulky for CC.

Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Jesse

Stop thinking about "stopping power". Both cartridges are sufficient.

Taurus has an iffy reputation. Their output seems to be hit or miss. But, if you get a good one, it'll be reliable.

You should get more time behind a wider variety of guns. Remember that shot placement is key. A 22lr with proper shot placement is more lethal than a 50bmg with poor shot placement.

You should get more time behind a wider variety of guns. Remember that shot placement is key. A 22lr with proper shot placement is more lethal than a 50bmg with poor shot placement. So true I had read somewhere that the 22 short is used in close up assassination then any other caliber so I read. But bullet placement is everything but if you do miss your mark some it's nice to have some power behind it to make damage. It is good to try as many different style/models of pistols you can to make your choice and do some research there is a magazine out that does a nonbias testing of guns and acc call gun test.

I agree with the preceeding comments. You need to find out what you shoot best with. They all will do the job if you do your job and put the shots where they belong. Go down to your local range and rent a bunch and learn what works for you.

I agree with the preceeding comments. You need to find out what you shoot best with. They all will do the job if you do your job and put the shots where they belong. Go down to your local range and rent a bunch and learn what works for you.

+1 Find out what feels best and shoots best.

I carry a 4" XD40 and it's highly concealed. IWB holster is perfect.

Father n' law carries identical in an OWB and is concealed. It has a lot to do with body size and how comfortable of self conscious you are about having it on your hip/pocket, sock etc.
<broken link removed>

Conceals very nice. I'd have to get a photo to prove it.

Do carry what you can shoot well and is comfortable both to hold and carry.

Disregard caliber for right now. The whole stopping power thing is largely a myth. The Portland Police have managed to "stop" plenty of people just fine with the 9mm.

I would find the gun that feels good in the hand and is something you honestly think you can conceal in you normal attire AND is something that you won't mind wearing all day long. Off your list, I would look at the XD or M&P and ignore the Taurus. I don't have firsthand experience with Taurus, but I have heard Enough about issues that I would avoid a Taurus for carry. I would also suggest looking at Kahr and Glock. You may find a .40 you like or like a 9mm better.

Either round would work for self defense just fine. I prefer the 9mm because it is cheaper, lighter, and you generally get higher capacity. A 147 grain federal 9mm hollowpoint will get the job done.

I have a Glock 26, but like the XD and the Kahr a lot. I have heard good things about the M&P. I do think some people worry too much about caliber and not enough about concealability or the weight of their carry gun. Those issues are a big deal for me and I often end up carrying my .32 keltec or snubnosed .38. None of the guns you listed are particularly tiny, so I would just ask if you have given the weight/bulk issue much thought while making your decision.

Take a look at a used Sig 225/P6 in 9mm, very concealable. Sigs can be sent to the factory for a complete inspection&replacement of springs for usually for $129.00 to $200.00. Used P6's are ex German police weapons and can be had for $300 to $400(400 is too much). You can usually get one in good shape off gunbroker for about $350.. Try Top GunSupply, they have the Euro version in that range.These are superb pistols and most of the time need no springs are anything. Get on the Sig Forum, you will not be disappointed. I have two Sigs, one a P6. The 225 version is the civil model the P6 is the military police model. Spad

with most concealed carry sub compacts I can't shoot the side of a barn with in a real stress situation. the truncated grip forces me to go as softest recoiling piece possible. the M&P9 would be the best pick out of the 3 for me, but going that small, I only trust a boot gripped j-frame or very well tested kahr pm9 for the job of a BUG.

I have the M&P9c. I like it but I would trade it for a fullsize in a heartbeat. I thought that compact would be easier to carry a compact but I noticed the thickness of the pistol was the biggest issue. I would be weary of a Taurus auto. XD, M&P or Glock are perfectly fine choices. I got my M&P 9c for $500 plus tax and I am probably gonna sell it and get a fullsize or Glock 17 soon. As far as caliber goes 9, 40, and 45 can all produce a 1 shot kill and take 7 rounds or more to stop someone. As long as you are using a handgun caliber you are gonna get handgun stopping power. Above all else if you cannot make a choice then shoot all your prospects and pick the one with the best accuracy because nothing else overrules accuracy, ever.

They are both proven rounds so I don't think you can go wrong.

However; if I were considering *only* those two calibers I would probably choose the 9mm.

The 9 is typically less snappy, less expensive to shoot and you tend to get an extra round in the magazine.

As far as Taurus goes my P111 has been flawless with all kinds of ammo.

Really any gun has the ability to fail. Train for it. Have someone else load your magazine and ask them to put a snap cap in somewhere. Practice tap and rack.

And of course practice with whatever you choose.

You're welcome to try my Kimber and P-111 if you want to meet up at the pit sometime.

If you like the Taurus PT709, you should try the Kahr CW9 as the quality is a bit better and they are hard to beat with its slimness.

+1

I picked up a CW9 from another user on this forum and think it's an excellent gun. One of the best purchases I've made. Flawless reliability, it's also quite light and thin, and yet the recoil is relatively mild. Kahr is definitely more known for quality than Taurus... yet the CW9 isn't actually expensive.

I have a Taurus pt-140. 10+1 rounds of .40, very concealable. Mine had the dreaded mag drop issue at first but I sent it in and has functioned perfectly so far sense. The only problem is, I can't get used to the different sighting method of Heine sights, so I'm trying to sell mine.

Either caliber will do the job, but I find that my second shot is on target faster with a 9mm than a 40 in the same size and weight of gun. You need to try a bunch of guns and find what works the best for you (easiest to shoot accurately and conceal the easiest. Some thing the size of a Glock 19 (compact) is about the best compromise for me. ;)

9mm is plenty for personal defense, the ammo is cheaper and easier to find, and mag capacities will be higher compared to the .40.

Do not make the mistake of focusing on the gun and then buying the holster as an afterthought. Whether or not a given gun works well for concealed carry has a lot more to do with the holster than the gun itself. Spending $500+ on a gun and then going cheap on the holster makes about as much sense as spending $50K on a high-end sports car and then buying cheap tires for it. The gun wont do you any good if you left in back in the car "for just a minute" because the holster was too much of a hassle to deal with.

You will also need to be willing to make adjustments to and investments in your wardrobe.

As far as the gun goes, its tough to go wrong with a Glock 26. They are reliable, quality weapons with plenty of parts and accessories and service available. They accept Glock 19 magazines which allows you to "up-size" the gun if you want higher capacity than the 10+1 of the factory G26 mag. A lot of people dont like the short grips on these guns; the solution is as simple as an $11 Pierce grip extension which gives your pinky finger a place to rest.

If a Glock/XD9/Kahr is not within your budget, I would suggest passing on a Taurus and getting a Keltec P11. Keltecs are considerably cheaper than Tauruses (Taurii?), they have far superior customer service, and legions of loyal users who offer plenty of advice and help on the KTOG (KelTec Owners Group) website. The Keltec P11 is a proven design that has been around for over 15 years, and at 14.8 ounces it is still one of the lightest and most compact 9mms on the market. You can buy a new one with a hard chromed slide for under $300, and they are rated for +P ammo and have 12+1 mag capacity.

Dont overlook the revolver, either. Airweight S&W and Rugers are available in .38+P that are easy to conceal in a front pocket holster and will eliminate the possibility of jams or feeding issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top