JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I get back into shooting after a 20 year hiatus during which I let my CPL expire, I'm starting to get back into shooting and want to get my permit again. However, a friend of a friend (terrible way to start, I know) is taking a gun class in Puyallup. I don't know any more than that about the class unfortunately. In any case, he informed my friend that if I have my permit, and am carrying while driving in my car with my wife who is not permitted, then I "am going to jail". I have asked for some kind of backup to that statement, as I find it preposterous, but so far, I have not been able to get anything more than that statement. I went through all of RCW 9.41 today to try and find out if there is any basis to the comment, and so far I have not found anything that indicates that is true.

Is there any basis to that statement?

Not a problem as long as it's on you. There could be a problem if you leave the vehicle with her in it and the gun also. There is a AG's opinion about leaving the gun in the vehicle when gone pertaining to this. Usually if it's hidden when you leave AND the vehicle is locked it won't be a problem.
I'll see if I have a copy of the AG's letter someplace, I know I used to have it a few computers ago!! Nope don't have it on my laptop.

OK, I found it, now to see if I can attach it! Nope, it's too big at 1.39 MB.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

The only problem here is if you leave a loaded gun in the car, and your wife takes off with the vehicle, gets pulled over and the gun is found, she could get into trouble. Now if the gun is unloaded, you're fine. In general, if you both have your CPL's and no kids (that take cars) you're fine, and I would highly recommend this. Failing that, keep your gun on your person and it's no longer an issue.

Thanks. You guys are sayng pretty much exactly what my response was.

I would love to have my wife get her permit, but so far she has been resistant to that idea. She doesn't want anything to do with shooting at all. I will keep working on that.

The handgun can not be with in reach of a non licensed person unless it's on your person.
Can't have it setting on the seat or have it in the glove box,in reach of your wife.
Why not get her a permit too?

Thanks. You guys are sayng pretty much exactly what my response was.

I would love to have my wife get her permit, but so far she has been resistant to that idea. She doesn't want anything to do with shooting at all. I will keep working on that.

A lot of women are just like your wife. Explain to her that owning and carrying a weapon is an empowering experience for a woman. Sign her up for a NRA certification class which will educate her why carrying a firearm on a daily basis could save her and those around her. Take her shooting but leave the big stuff at home. I started my wife out with a 10/22 and some cans to shoot, now she carries everyday, owns her own AR-15, wants to compete in 3-gun and loves to shoot! Good luck.

The handgun can not be with in reach of a non licensed person unless it's on your person.
Can't have it setting on the seat or have it in the glove box,in reach of your wife.
Why not get her a permit too?

I don't think that is accurate. It is considered in the possesion of the driver if it is anywhere in the car was my understanding. Glovebox is ok, as long as you don't leave her in the car with it alone.

I don't think that is accurate. It is considered in the possession of the driver if it is anywhere in the car was my understanding. Glovebox is ok, as long as you don't leave her in the car with it alone.

To be legal, the unlicensed person would need to be 18+, and the pistol would need to be unloaded while she was in sole possession of the car and its contents

RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Pragmatically, something about trees falling and happenings in Las Vegas comes to mind. YMMV

I don't think that is accurate. It is considered in the possesion of the driver if it is anywhere in the car was my understanding. Glovebox is ok, as long as you don't leave her in the car with it alone.

Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS

I will stand corrected . I thought I read that but it must have been in a thread not at the state site above.
But I don't find your statement in the laws either,so as usual the laws are vague so they can decide what they say in court.

Strongly considering getting a .22 or even a .32 pistol that I can let her use. And, I am looking for a nice 10/22 for myself to play with.

CZ82 is an excellent cheap (and exceedingly well-made) starting pistol. Hell, I still carry mine sometimes...it is one of the few that I absolutely won't get rid of.

Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS

I will stand corrected . I thought I read that but it must have been in a thread not at the state site above.
But I don't find your statement in the laws either,so as usual the laws are vague so they can decide what they say in court.

Absolutely don't take my word for it either. I "remember" something to that effect, but I can't remember where I read it. Just somewhere in my readings I got the impression that the driver was "in possesion" of the firearm if it was in the vehicle, but that leads to other questions about if it isn't the driver's gun, etc. I love legal questions. They can always find something to arrest you for.

If anyone wants a copy of the AG's opinion on handguns in cars when the licensee isn't in the vehicle let me know. I found it and now have a copy on my laptop. I can send either a .pdf or the zipped .pdf.
It's from 1987 but should still have legal standing in WA.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

If anyone wants a copy of the AG's opinion on handguns in cars when the licensee isn't in the vehicle let me know. I found it and now have a copy on my laptop. I can send either a .pdf or the zipped .pdf.
It's from 1987 but should still have legal standing in WA.

Deen

Does it differ from what I cut and pasted from the RCW, which says that to be legal, the unlicensed person would need to be 18+, and the pistol would need to be unloaded while she was in sole possession (or control) of the car and its contents?

RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Basically it says you must leave the gun so it's concealed in the car and lock the car.

As I said, send me a PM and I'll email it to you.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top