JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the short answer is no....

there are some similarities in the mechanics, but Glocks are partially cocked when loaded where DAOs are not cocked at all. Stock DAO pistols never have a light trigger pull by design, for safety without a mechanical safety. Glocks are designed to have a light trigger pull.

also, I dont know the OPs experience with carry and would never reccommend unholstered carry even with a DAO to someone new.

Well said. That helps me some as I have never been drawn to the striker fire guns and my knowledge of them verges on an anti gunner:D

Ok, I just recently got my CCL.
What do you do with your carry setup when entering/driving a vehicle?

Put my seatbelt on and adjust the pistol as needed for comfort.
I am carrying IWB on the right hip ~4 o'clock.

If I can't see something coming, plan is to move - use the car, get down, get out.

If I can see something is going to happen, plan is to get the pistol ready - and that means out of the holster, not brandished, in hand but below the level of the windows.

If bad things happen, my strong arm follows the seatbelt down, unlatches it, and grips the FA.

If things are happening so bang / bang fast, my plan is to dive under the level of the engine and pray. And/or use the car as a weapon, escape pod.

How is this different than my plan if I am not in the car? Not much.
Didn't see it coming - move, find cover, move, find concealment, move, repeat until you can get defensive and draw a weapon (any weapon)
Did see it coming - get the pistol ready.
I saw a training video with Mas Ayoob - his thought, pull a pistol and stick it under your off hand upper arm - arms are crossed across your chest. If the situation de-escalates, then you can discretely re-holster.

As for going somewhere I cannot carry, the Post Office is one place I regularly go which is like that. I pull the pistol and lock it in my center console. I typically pull to a side street, or you could use a business' parking lot, to handle the gun. This is something I might do once a month.

If you have these situations frequently in your life, develop your own plan. (I forgot to as the OP how often he has to de-gun when leaving the car.) If you work in some sheeple zone, where you have to leave your pistol in the car, I recommend a safe.

If you are in-out of the sheeple zone all day, then you need some very discrete way to gun/de-gun. Try that with something you could have without trouble there - like a tablet or cell phone - and see how you might do the exchanges.

I do like PP idea of a safe under the seat, I just couldn't fit one in my 01 Corolla.

Tinted windows are worth the cost 100 times over.

No one can see inside my car unless they are obviously trying and I can do what I want with my gun as needed without worrying about someone seeing it and freaking out.

I am in and out of secured zones throughout the week so it is a great benefit for me to have my windows dark.

Well said. That helps me some as I have never been drawn to the striker fire guns and my knowledge of them verges on an anti gunner:D
I hear ya, I've never been drawn to the strikers either. I dont own any but have shot a few friends Glocks and they shoot real well. I can see why they are so popular, light trigger and no controls = easy to use under stress. I'm deadly accurate with them and they usually hold a lot of rounds and they are cheap (er), reliable and virtually indestructible.

but they have no style...

(ducks and runs for cover) :p

My carry experience is limited to just around the house unloaded. Practiced with my draw/holster.
I would rarely have to de-gun on the weekend.

My carry experience is limited to just around the house unloaded. Practiced with my draw/holster.
I would rarely have to de-gun on the weekend.
So you've practiced safely unloaded your light years ahead of others. ;) Its important to figure out all the nuances at home before in public, especially using public restrooms..

Ok, I just recently got my CCL.
What do you do with your carry setup when entering/driving a vehicle?
leave it holstered on your person. Unless you have a legal or pressing reason to disarm (post office, work etc.) its best not to mess with it. If its not comfortable, find another holster or way to position it.

So, I see my options as either mounting a holster, apendix carry, or...maybe a MIC holster setup, but I don't like the idea of my gun going airborne in a wreck.

Accurate, or am I off here?
Im not a fan of off body carry, others have their reasons... and I dont think your off being concerned of your gun going airborn in a wreck. You have to find a holster that works for you, its different for everyone. It could be an appendix, IWB, OWB, leather, kydex... just dont get a cheap one and make certain it covers the entire trigger area and provides a full combat grip.

P

If I can't see something coming, plan is to move - use the car, get down, get out.

If I can see something is going to happen, plan is to get the pistol ready - and that means out of the holster, not brandished, in hand but below the level of the windows.

And/or use the car as a weapon, escape pod.

First off Ric, I enjoy reading your posts. You have obviously trained to a high level and I learn from your posts, and share a lot of your tactical views.

Early on in my working career I drove truck and trailer fuel tankers. At one company I was on a check out ride with a supervisor. He said always, always have an out. Always be looking for an out where you can put this truck with out tipping it over.

One of my sons came back from Iraq and he was right seat as a Sgt in those POS Humvees, and being in urban convoys you were always in traffic. Granted the tactics were different but the concept is still the same. He developed a pretty paranoid way of being in close traffic situations and taught me a lot about tactical vehicle operations. One reason a lot of these 30 something veterans love the big F 350 size pickups.

I never allow my vehicle to be trapped in more than 2 lanes of traffic. Never in 3 lanes even if it means going out of my way for a turn lane. Never close enough to the vehicle in front of me to allow my vehicle to strike the one in front should I be rear ended. Most vehicles can take a rear end hit pretty well, but if you hit the one in front of you and damage your radiator, you are out of the game. If you can see the vehicle in front of you rear wheels touching the ground, you can probably avoid them if rear ended.

That distance also allows you to just do a one hand yank on the wheel either way, mash the throttle and hopefully clear the danger zone. I have no problem bending some metal on my rig or mashing my way out of a bad situation. I scan the road ahead of me, habit developed operating fire engines and rescue units looking for the dipstick who is going to do something stupid. They put us through the Portland Police pursuit course back in the early 80's, and that was life long training. Very glad to have had it.

Friend told me he drove a deuce down some jungle road in Nam as fast as it could go and shooting an M 16 out the window at the same time. It can be done. A vehicle can be a very effective weapon.

First off Ric, I enjoy reading your posts. You have obviously trained to a high level and I learn from your posts, and share a lot of your tactical views.

Early on in my working career I drove truck and trailer fuel tankers. At one company I was on a check out ride with a supervisor. He said always, always have an out. Always be looking for an out where you can put this truck with out tipping it over.

One of my sons came back from Iraq and he was right seat as a Sgt in those POS Humvees, and being in urban convoys you were always in traffic. Granted the tactics were different but the concept is still the same. He developed a pretty paranoid way of being in close traffic situations and taught me a lot about tactical vehicle operations. One reason a lot of these 30 something veterans love the big F 350 size pickups.

I never allow my vehicle to be trapped in more than 2 lanes of traffic. Never in 3 lanes even if it means going out of my way for a turn lane. Never close enough to the vehicle in front of me to allow my vehicle to strike the one in front should I be rear ended. Most vehicles can take a rear end hit pretty well, but if you hit the one in front of you and damage your radiator, you are out of the game. If you can see the vehicle in front of you rear wheels touching the ground, you can probably avoid them if rear ended.

That distance also allows you to just do a one hand yank on the wheel either way, mash the throttle and hopefully clear the danger zone. I have no problem bending some metal on my rig or mashing my way out of a bad situation. I scan the road ahead of me, habit developed operating fire engines and rescue units looking for the dipstick who is going to do something stupid. They put us through the Portland Police pursuit course back in the early 80's, and that was life long training. Very glad to have had it.

Friend told me he drove a deuce down some jungle road in Nam as fast as it could go and shooting an M 16 out the window at the same time. It can be done. A vehicle can be a very effective weapon.
Well said. I use the tires visible on the ground everyday. It blows my mind how close people get to you.
I always leave room to maneuver. Some of that is from Iraq. More of it is from riding motorcycles since I was 10.
I see it everyday. People pull up within two feet of a bumper and pull out the cell phone. They don't look at their surroundings. Ever.

Well, I ended up carrying the way RicinOR described and it worked out great.
about the 4 o'clock position and adjusted for comfort when I got into the rig.

I hear ya, I've never been drawn to the strikers either. I dont own any but have shot a few friends Glocks and they shoot real well. I can see why they are so popular, light trigger and no controls = easy to use under stress. I'm deadly accurate with them and they usually hold a lot of rounds and they are cheap (er), reliable and virtually indestructible.

but they have no style...

(ducks and runs for cover) :p
If you want style, carry a purse and wear Ho Boots.

Shoulder holster under my left arm, with belt tie downs, retention snap, spare mags on the right. Can be easily drawn while driving with the left hand. Comfortable and convenient, already right where I want it when I enter or exit the vehicle. Reloading at highway speeds call for some finesse but that's true of any setup, lol.

In the car, I tend to carry under the right thy with the butt facing the groin! If getting in and out a lot, the 4 o clock IWB right side is my fav! I carry a full size double stack 1911, not the easiest to carry concealed, but this works out best for me! Have a look at TED BLOCKER holsters!!! I have a bunch of them for different pistols, different carry methods! The wife carries in the same place as I do, but carries a .45 Taurus 24/7 compact! Her choice, not mine! As long as she carries, I'm good with it! She dosn't like it under her thy, instead she carries in a custom purse! BTW........There is nothing wrong with a MAN BAG...........I carry a P90 in a messenger bag just like the bags all the kiddies are carrying now days! Imagine having that kind of fire power that easy to get to when SHTF!!!

LEO trainer here. 3 years ago I taught a class on working (shooting) in and around vehicles. "Think carjacking at a stop light."

If you cant move your car, it becomes a trap. Training from your normal carry position is the key. (That's the one you draw from every other time.) Learning to shed the seat belt while you draw is one thing everyone can practice with an empty gun at hone until proficient. Understand you must draw to the high ready (high center chest to neck level) as you have steering wheel etc. in your way. If you must shoot out left or right driver/passenger windows it's going to take some trunk (abdomen) twisting but very doable and can still be acurate. If trapped in the car you can shoot through the front windshield then exit the vehicle. Within 5-20 feet center mass, your bullets will fly true. I've shot through glass on many vehicles. You will get jacket shaving into the dash but you will ring body sized steel every time. If someone is shooting into your fishbowl from these distances, you may not have time to get out of the car before returning fire on your threat. Get them down and not firing at you then get out. Close and finish fight if you must or move to cover and fight if available.

I have three guns that carry concealed, depends on where I am going. North Portland, it's my Tarus, poly, 357 magnum. Anywhere else its my Kel-Tec 9mm. Traveling, my faithful old Glock 22 (purchased from NWA, 30 years ago). The Glock is in the drivers door pocket, fully loaded with two spare mags. The Kel is in my inside jacket pocket, cross draw style, The Tarus is in my console. None are EVER left in one of our rigs unattended. If I am away from home over night, the 357 with speed loader comforts my wife. I have carried for over 30 years and not had an issue...yet.

She dosn't like it under her thy, instead she carries in a custom purse! BTW........There is nothing wrong with a MAN BAG...........I carry a P90 in a messenger bag just like the bags all the kiddies are carrying now days! Imagine having that kind of fire power that easy to get to when SHTF!!!

This has been debated time and again on here. I am not going to say this way is wrong if that is how you choose to carry. I would suggest that you contact a good tactics trainer or business and get some professional training on off the body carry and the tactical implications of such and it is a level of training you are going to need to react to different situations with that type of carry.

There are 11 CCW in our family, and one LEO. 5 of these are female including the LEO. None of them purse carry or off the body, and carry at least one spare mag as well. All work in office or management situations and dress appropriately. 4 of the males carry 2 weapons at most times.

This has been debated time and again on here. I am not going to say this way is wrong if that is how you choose to carry. I would suggest that you contact a good tactics trainer or business and get some professional training on off the body carry and the tactical implications of such and it is a level of training you are going to need to react to different situations with that type of carry.

There are 11 CCW in our family, and one LEO. 5 of these are female including the LEO. None of them purse carry or off the body, and carry at least one spare mag as well. All work in office or management situations and dress appropriately. 4 of the males carry 2 weapons at most times.

For off body carry only while driving I keep my sidearm under the thy. All other carry is on the hip! The wife normally carries the exact same as I do. She only purse carries when she has to dress up for work related functions and cannot carry on her body! Print being a very real factor for her!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top