JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm carrying a Glock 19.
Currently only have a White Hat IWB holster. Looking like I need to add another holster to the mix.
In the end you're probably going to have the box of holsters like the rest of us.
It's a matter of trial and error for most of us.
A good belt is actually the first step. Something thick and double stiched. Most holsters are sized for 1.5" but many of the kydex can be adjusted for 1.75".
Carry position is unique to the individual. It will depend on personal preferences. I like hip carry but others like some of the other methods as stated in previous posts.
I've tried all of them and they all have their merits. The previous posters have probably tried several methods as well before choosing their preferred carry method.
If you like owb carry I'd recommend someone local.
krounds.com
I use his pancake holster for my Sig P226 and my wife uses one for her S&W Shield. It's my favorite so far.

It's not the gun discharging in the accident. It's the fact the gun is a loose 2 lb missile moving at least the speed you were traveling at the time of the accident.

I could understand that if we are talking about storing your gun in the back windshield dash board.

If you get T-boned hard enough to make your pistol a viable threat then your probably dead anyway.

Head ons shouldn't make a difference.

I could understand that if we are talking about storing your gun in the back windshield dash board.

If you get T-boned hard enough to make your pistol a viable threat then your probably dead anyway.

Head ons shouldn't make a difference.
That's probably true but doesn't account for rollovers.
I've seen a couple vehicles roll over and one just a few months ago that had slid down a steep hill into some trees. The Windows all broke and the contents of the vehicle were everywhere. Even outside. And it didn't even rollover.
Yes, I took the photo, the guy is my friend. We stopped to check on the driver.

image.jpeg

The talk about what would happen if the vehicle was in an accident brings back not so fond memories of my late friend Terry.
He adamantly refused to wear a seat belt, and his excuse was that he didn't want to be trapped by one in case the vehicle happened to catch on fire after an accident.
But the real reason was he was too fat around his belly and it was hard for him to reach around and lock the shoulder harness.
I would point out to him that the folding knife he had placed on the floor near his feet to cut the belt in case he was wearing one, would more then likely be out of reach when he needed it most, so it should at least be taped to the stick shift.
About once a month a cop would pull him over for not wearing one and the most unnerving part was when he would shout out the window, "I'm carrying a loaded weapon" to the cop.
He would then reach for his wallet to prove he had a valid carry permit.
Predictably, the cop would be more then alarmed at his actions and what should have been a normal pull over just escalated to a "Don't move, while I get backup" type of nightmare.

Last Edited:
That's probably true but doesn't account for rollovers.
I've seen a couple vehicles roll over and one just a few months ago that had slid down a steep hill into some trees. The Windows all broke and the contents of the vehicle were everywhere. Even outside. And it didn't even rollover.
Yes, I took the photo, the guy is my friend. We stopped to check on the driver.

Touché

I will have to reserve the console for parking lots and in town.

A good holster is comfortable in and out of the vehicle. Only on really long trips +2 hours will I center console it in the holster. The there is never an exposed trigger.

I too throw in KUDOS that a good holster is the best option. Practice drawing out of the holster somewhere discrete (with said gun unloaded of course). I feel very comfortable with my XDM40 and a Blackhawk Serpa OWB holster. :cool:

Thoth man purthess are surely getting very popular in the Potrland and Vancouver area.....:eek::eek::eek:o_O

I know!:oops: it was quite embarrassing for an hour or so; I quickly found I blend in with the PNW crowd:cool:. I don't really dress for style so why shouldn't I carry all my junk in a bag if its easier.:p I get those looks for working on being fully tattooed anyway. :D

It is way more convenient then the backpack I carried for quite some time for around town stuff.

On a side note, I do keep an IWB holster in my bag for times when I want to leave the bag in the car.

It's an uncle mikes so ha! There's some more ammo for ya ;):cool::p:D

View attachment 266205

View attachment 266206

Cross Draw is another option. Presenting to the driver's door is a fairly natural motion (if righthand dominant ). When practiced properly, you will not sweep(flag) any part of your body while drawing and presenting toward the driver's door.

Draw backs are that your holstered firearm is near the driver's door and not the best carry option (personal opinion) when outside the vehicle.

the only place for a loaded gun is in your holster. Anything else is asking for a negligent discharge... I dont see bow anything else could be expected of a gun free floating around your car

the only place for a loaded gun is in your holster. Anything else is asking for a negligent discharge... I dont see bow anything else could be expected of a gun free floating around your car

I'm with you on most things but on this one, in My personal life, I disagree.

I carry a DAO hammer fired 9mm. I do not know what the trigger weight is but without looking it up I will guess 9 lbs minimum.

Neither of my turn signal type levers will fit into the trigger guard and other then that, there isn't anything in my car that could snag the trigger and pull it but my boogerhooker.

I can understand that there is a huge amount of variations of comfort with your firearms and everyone should do as they feel is most correct for them.

Personally, I have mine out of my bag or holster often and feel no threat from that to myself or even more importantly to me, my family. Some people will judge and think or say that is negligent, but if you are vigilant of your actions and surroundings then there isn't anything to fear from an unholstered pistol.

Mine goes in jacket pockets, pant pockets, coffee table, night stand or wherever unholstered every day and has for years.

Joe, I hear what your saying but the OP stated he did not have a DAO...

I've never even held a glock before so I don't know but I don't think the trigger guard is any bigger on a g19 then a CPX2 and the trigger pull is 6-7lbs out of the box?

And wouldn't a striker fire gun be an or equivalent to a DAO? Pull the trigger and it goes bang.

(I'm in a waiting room so I'm bored, not trying to pick this to death but just more interested in things I hadn't thought of yet).

And wouldn't a striker fire gun be an or equivalent to a DAO? Pull the trigger and it goes bang

the short answer is no....

there are some similarities in the mechanics, but Glocks are partially cocked when loaded where DAOs are not cocked at all. Stock DAO pistols never have a light trigger pull by design, for safety without a mechanical safety. Glocks are designed to have a light trigger pull.

also, I dont know the OPs experience with carry and would never reccommend unholstered carry even with a DAO to someone new.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top