JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
O.k. stupid question but here goes...
How can you carry (concealed) legally in Oregon and Washington?
Does it depend on which state you live in?
I am a Washington resident and have a concealed carry permit, can I get one for oregon? (I have been through the firearms course in Or., but that was 12 or so years ago.)
Is this where the Utah thing comes in handy?

You may only carry concealed in Oregon with a CHL issued by a sheriff in the state and, as Oregon does not recognize the CHL from any other state, a Utah CHL would be of no use. If you still have documentation of prior Oregon training, that might work depending on which sheriff you applied to but because of the time elapsed I wouldn't count on it. Besides that, statute and case law may have changed since your last class. So, unless you have some other qualification that meets the state's training requirement you might as well just repeat a class with somebody if only for a legal issues update. Though they fall far short in terms of legal aspects specific to Oregon, taking one of the on-line classes may satisfy the training requirement but I'd call the agency you intend to apply to beforehand to find out.

Call fisherman's they have classes there. Then when you have all the paper work together ( letter from WA saying you are not crazy and birth certificate ) go to Washington County because that the county you frequent the most for work and play ;) Multnomah County I've heard frowns on CC'ing :s0131:

letter from WA saying you are not crazy and birth certificate.
Multnomah County I've heard frowns on CC'ing

license in Multnomah Co. earlier this year they no longer required the letter from WA health dept.

Multnomah Co has a separate setup for processing CPL licenses. Nothing to it now. Don't know where you got your misinformation.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Multnomah County has a great permit unit. Easy as can be.
I too want a second CHL but I want one for Washington as I am a Oregon License holder.....ANy advice for me?

Also...I took my class at Multnomah COunty Sheriff's office. I was a Reserve deputy that gave the class and I think it took a total 3 or 4 hours....You walk out with the document and the next day you go in and fill out their form and get your picture taken and Thumbprint. About a week later it came in the mail.
Being raised in Kali-Fornia...I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of it all.

license in Multnomah Co. earlier this year they no longer required the letter from WA health dept.

Multnomah Co has a separate setup for processing CPL licenses. Nothing to it now. Don't know where you got your misinformation.

From the guy teaching the class! 4yrs ago so it could be old but Mult treating people right when it comes to guns and rights to carry in there state.... i thought it would be best to go out of Portland for people out of state.

you can do what you like just my .02

Man,last summer I traveled through Oregon and on the way home I stopped at 4 different Sheriff's offices,from border to border.
Everyone told me the sheriff didn't issue out of state residences carry permits.
I took the Utah class and the guy gave us the certificate for Oregon,saying we could find a SO that would issue one.The cert was an extra for that class we were told.

They all just asked if I owned property in Oregon,then said nope!

I would really like to know of an office that will indeed issue them.
Kinda sucks having to stop in the middle of the 5 over the Columbia and unload the guns
Messes traffic up too:D

Man,last summer I traveled through Oregon and on the way home I stopped at 4 different Sheriff's offices,from border to border.
Everyone told me the sheriff didn't issue out of state residences carry permits.
I took the Utah class and the guy gave us the certificate for Oregon,saying we could find a SO that would issue one.The cert was an extra for that class we were told.

They all just asked if I owned property in Oregon,then said nope!

I would really like to know of an office that will indeed issue them.
Kinda sucks having to stop in the middle of the 5 over the Columbia and unload the guns
Messes traffic up too:D

for one. I've had OR permits for almost 20 years now and the new requirements are no where near as stringent as the used to be. Nice change.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

If you are living in or visiting Washington there is an exemption RCW 9.41.060 for carrying a concealed weapon. Basically if you are engaging in a lawful outdoor activity (camping, fishing, hiking, hunting) you can lawfully carry a concealed weapon loaded on your person, loaded in your vehicle to and from that location.

As far as Oregon, The Sheriff in grant county will accept a Maryland online training course (MD Firearms Safety Training). If you call his office he visits the Vancouver/Portland area gun shows and issues CHL's.

RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper

Multnomah County has a great permit unit. Easy as can be.
I too want a second CHL but I want one for Washington as I am a Oregon License holder.....ANy advice for me?

Also...I took my class at Multnomah COunty Sheriff's office. I was a Reserve deputy that gave the class and I think it took a total 3 or 4 hours....You walk out with the document and the next day you go in and fill out their form and get your picture taken and Thumbprint. About a week later it came in the mail.
Being raised in Kali-Fornia...I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of it all.

Get your Utah CHL - as an Oregon resident, it's good in WA.

Check out this guy's training calendar. I took his Utah/Oregon class up here in Vancouver and in one evening was printed/pictured/instructed for both Oregon and Utah. He had a guy there that was deputized by Grant County to sign off for Oregon so I didn't even have to travel. It was very easy.

MK Tactical

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top