JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon residents can go to any police or Sheriff office in Washington state and apply for a CPL. $55.25, fill out the form, provide your prints and in 30-60 days it will arrive. No training or classes are required.

I need answers, My wife and I are planning to get our CPL, I wanted to take the Utah w/ 4 hr Oregon class to get the Oregon, we are Washington residents, a co worker told me the Utah is no good in Washington if you are a resident of Washington?, is this true?, if so I will have to get a seperate Washington also?, I travel Wa.,Or., & Idaho, Utah mainly; thanks in advance for help on this.

I need answers, My wife and I are planning to get our CPL, I wanted to take the Utah w/ 4 hr Oregon class to get the Oregon, we are Washington residents, a co worker told me the Utah is no good in Washington if you are a resident of Washington?, is this true?, if so I will have to get a seperate Washington also?, I travel Wa.,Or., & Idaho, Utah mainly; thanks in advance for help on this.

Washington is a Shall issue state.Just go down and sign up for one,nothing else to do.
Well pay the man the money.

Oregon is still my problem,but I guess I just have to go east to get it.

Looks like a Utah permit is good in Washington.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

I was thinking along the same lines and a month or so while trying to research it I ran across a website showing concealed carry reciprocity and the chart they had indicated that the out of state permits that were honored excluded WA residents - I don't recall seeing any state that would honor an out of state permit if you are a resident of that state.

Edit: Here is the section of WA law that applies -

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

This was found here: RCW 9.41.073: Concealed pistol license ? Reciprocity.

Last Edited:
Another +1 for Grant County OR. I went there, Sheriff Palmer and all of his staff are awesome, friendly, and helpful. He accepted my NRA Basic Pistol as training, and I had my permit in a few weeks.

I also appreciated the irony since I live in Grant County WA :)

Cool little town too.

Also, NRA Basic Pistol is sufficient to get your Arizona or Florida permit, and if you have a WA CPL, that is more effective for 'nearly nationwide' carry than Utah.

Arizona is $60, is recognized everywhere Florida is (Except WA and FL, both of which are covered by your WA CPL), and doesn't require passport photos, notarization, etc. They'll send you the kit for free, just email them and ask:

Arizona DPS

I'm still gonna get FL eventually because it's more well known, but AZ is all I need. No plan to get Utah at all.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads