JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am a resident of Oregon and reside in lane county. I recently got my CHL and have been carrying daily for the duration, nearly a year. Occasionally in the course of my job, it is necessary for me to pop in to the Lane County Sheriffs Office for a moment. I do not work for the government in any way.

I understand from what I have read that due to the sheriffs office being a state public building, under ORS 166.370 (which they site on their front door banning firearms/weapons inside) that this does not apply to CHL holders. The tricky part is, the Lane County sheriff's office has a separate entrance, but is still connected to a Lane County circuit court building. You can travel through the sheriffs office into the circuit court areas.

In reading the ORS, I'm stuck on this. The whole court building ban in the writing of the statutes looks a little sketch at best, in regard to my reading of it and understanding of the flow of subsections and exceptions it looks to me like the part referring to the court ban doesn't apply to CHL holders. And of course when you get your CHL card here now it comes with a list of prohibited places to carry that some items are obviously not true when reviewing the laws.

Any ideas on the Sherriffs portion at least? I don't ever need to go into court buildings but the sheriffs office is going to happen from time to time.

I'd ask the Sheriff or anyone else there that could potentially cuff you, if you did the wrong thing.
So no metal detectors to pass through, eh ?

I'm always skeptical about law enforcement officers understanding of laws that go past the scope of an average 911 call. And especially since this is the same sheriffs office that gave me a pamphlet that said that it is illegal to carry concealed at a school here, I don't suspect I would get a good answer from them.

There are metal detectors, but only in the doorway going from the sheriffs office into the court area.

I'm always skeptical about law enforcement officers understanding of laws that go past the scope of an average 911 call. And especially since this is the same sheriffs office that gave me a pamphlet that said that it is illegal to carry concealed at a school here, I don't suspect I would get a good answer from them.

There are metal detectors, but only in the doorway going from the sheriffs office into the court area.
Since that is the crew that could potentially ruin your day, I would abide by their understanding of the law.
Unfortunately.

Any Court of any kind I've always understood to be a big no-no. I'd secure it in my vehicle and not chance it...but that's just me. BTW, I have both WA & OR CHL's.

Does it say Court House? is the Sheriffs office in the court house? is there a reason you need your pistol in the Court House when you visit the Sheriffs office?

Even here in Idaho it's illegal to carry in the cop shop. It would be a helluva day if you got outed in there.
And I have talked to a very gun friendly judge that has said you can carry into the drive of a school but not inside. So I don't think anyone was giving bad info to you about not carrying in a school.

This.

Alternatively, when you go there next to ask there opinion:

Go with a ski mask over your head, while open carrying a semiautomatic rifle. ;)

IMG_2514.JPG

I wouldn't feel the need to carry in a Sheriffs office unless i worked for them. Too many accidents these days. I lock mine in the glove box before entering the post office. And they could go postal any minute. No thanks.

I have a lockbox for my car, but prefer not to use it and keep my gun on me wherever possible. In Oregon it is legal to carry anywhere except court houses a judge specifically ruled on, (which is pretty much all now that the option was provided) federal buildings and private property that specifically states no weapons. All other state property is a go, airports, schools and all those other places they love putting up no weapon signs, but only if you have your CHL.

Gonna just talk to one of the sheriffs and deal with the answer until I am certain otherwise.

I would not ask the sheriff his opinion on interpreting the law, the only person I would ask it a lawyer, I agree the ORS statues is confusing... in short I wouldn't carry there. I would ask him if they enforce prohibiting licensed carry in their facility (whether its right or wrong) and also use that as an opportunity to introduce yourself and explain why your job makes is necessary to be there occasionally.

I have a lockbox for my car, but prefer not to use it and keep my gun on me wherever possible. In Oregon it is legal to carry anywhere except court houses a judge specifically ruled on, (which is pretty much all now that the option was provided) federal buildings and private property that specifically states no weapons. All other state property is a go, airports, schools and all those other places they love putting up no weapon signs, but only if you have your CHL.

Gonna just talk to one of the sheriffs and deal with the answer until I am certain otherwise.

well, technically its legal to carry on private property in Oregon but it is not legal at all to carry in federal buildings with or without a CHL.

I would not ask the sheriff his opinion on interpreting the law, the only person I would ask it a lawyer, I agree the ORS statues is confusing... in short I wouldn't carry there. I would ask him if they enforce prohibiting licensed carry in their facility (whether its right or wrong) and also use that as an opportunity to introduce yourself and explain why your job makes is necessary to be there occasionally.

well, technically its legal to carry on private property in Oregon but it is not legal at all to carry in federal buildings with or without a CHL.

I thought that private property ruled if they have a sign? Though I'm slightly fuzzy on if that applies to areas generally open to the public. And when I said until I'm certain I was referring to a lawyer- though that's somewhat more bother than I want to put up with.

Thanks for the advice.

I thought that private property ruled if they have a sign? Though I'm slightly fuzzy on if that applies to areas generally open to the public. And when I said until I'm certain I was referring to a lawyer- though that's somewhat more bother than I want to put up with.

Thanks for the advice.

I hear ya about the lawyer, it seems there should be easier ways to get legal advice on this subject but there is not. There are several laws I question too thats more bother than I want to put up with, one of those is the one your asking here. What works for me is to default to not do it mostly because there already is not that many places off limits or even questionable to CHL holders. When I look up ORS 166.370, it clearly says CHL holders are exempt... but everywhere else I read, including Oregons Gun Laws by Kevin Starrett says its illegal to carry into a courthouse. Fortunately for me I don't have a need to occasionally visit the courts or sheriff.

the thing about private property is in Oregon signs do not have the law behind them, there is no law that addresses no gun signs. The property owner (home, or business) has to verbally ask you to leave which you must comply immediately. So a simple sign on a storefront is meaningless....

I hear ya about the lawyer, it seems there should be easier ways to get legal advice on this subject but there is not. There are several laws I question too thats more bother than I want to put up with, one of those is the one your asking here. What works for me is to default to not do it mostly because there already is not that many places off limits or even questionable to CHL holders. When I look up ORS 166.370, it clearly says CHL holders are exempt... but everywhere else I read, including Oregons Gun Laws by Kevin Starrett says its illegal to carry into a courthouse. Fortunately for me I don't have a need to occasionally visit the courts or sheriff.

the thing about private property is in Oregon signs do not have the law behind them, there is no law that addresses no gun signs. The property owner (home, or business) has to verbally ask you to leave which you must comply immediately. So a simple sign on a storefront is meaningless....

And of course if you are on private property and someone threatens to call the cops and have you trespassed away because you have a gun you are missing the 'C' in CHL. Moreso just want to know what I'm dealing with on that off chance something unexpected happens I guess. Weird that only the people that follow rules have to worry about what rules get made.

And of course if you are on private property and someone threatens to call the cops and have you trespassed away because you have a gun you are missing the 'C' in CHL. Moreso just want to know what I'm dealing with on that off chance something unexpected happens I guess. Weird that only the people that follow rules have to worry about what rules get made.
yup. Concealed means concealed. There is also a huge debate about respecting private property owner rights vs. your right to carry but thats another topic. Public buildings are a whole different story and the whole "gun free zone" thing to me is the worlds biggest face-palm law I have ever seen and were all in the same boat.

And I have talked to a very gun friendly judge that has said you can carry into the drive of a school but not inside. So I don't think anyone was giving bad info to you about not carrying in a school.

ORS 166.370:
(1)Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

(3)Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(g)A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun.

(j)Possession of a firearm on school property if the firearm:
(A)Is possessed by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing the firearm; and
(B)Is unloaded and locked in a motor vehicle.

Section (3)(g) includes school buildings, and that's as far as we need to go if we are CHL holders. If we are not CHL holders, then section (3)(j) applies, and this would be the situation that your judge friend was commenting on.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top