JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's weird. Just yesterday I was talking to a co-worker about his Alien Gear holster. I liked the skin interface on it and the lack of inside exposed fasteners.

I should add that I also wear an (ugh)sleeveless t-shirt just to keep the holster off of my skin. The sleeveless T-Shirt is as lightweight as I can find. I first purchased Stealth Gear holster very similar to my Alien Gear, but when I took it apart to clean and adjust it to my tase I was unable get it screwed back together. A user inadequacy for sure. I've had no problems with the Alien Gear adjustments. I especially like the Alien Gear loop attachment system better.

@ilikegunspdx I never thought of the front pocket, and I can see that is definitely where the shorter profile guns would work better. I do think I'd benefit from having a smaller pistol in addition to the 226.

@mkwerx that is a lot of information, thanks for sharing your experiences with this. I never thought of modifying the holster itself. I did have problems with the clips staying on the belt, and the huge wingspan made side carrying completely impractical.

@Stomper how far above the belt should the gun rise? It felt like I had a yard stick sticking out of my pants when wearing it before.

Thanks for all the info. It will take a while to go through this all.

I carry my 45 acp Kimber Ultra Ten 2 in my front pocket with a wad of cash crammed in front of my pocket holster

Keep at it OP. I think just about everyone who carries has been where you are at some point. Part of the problem is that there are so many variables between different guns, holsters, carry positions, body types, personal preference, etc., that it's really hard to advise others. Because what I like and what works great for me and my gun may be a total disaster for you.

This is the reason most folks end up with a drawer full of holsters...because it takes awhile to figure out what your personal preferences are and what works best for you. To this end, the advice I usually give to new carries is to try to stick to a popular gun and quality holster combination first, until you get things sorted. This should at least allow you to sell the holsters that don't work for you without a huge loss. For example, it's pretty easy to sell a Milt Sparks VM2 for, say, a glock 19. It would be a lot harder to sell a no name holster for a Makarov.

As for the size of your Sig, it is on the larger size but it should be doable. I just pulled my P226 out and compared it to the 4.25" M&P Core that I usually carry and it's just about the same size with the exception of the beavertail on the Sig. But not all Sigs come with the beavertail option.

Certain positions, however, do lend themselves better to carrying larger guns. Appendix is one such position. And if you're going to carry appendix, make sure you go with a high quality, purpose built appendix holster and ideally one that has a wing/claw combination. The purpose of this feature is that presses against the inside of your belt and helps push the butt of the grip in close to your body line so that it doesn't print. This feature is not always needed for smaller guns like, say, a Shield. But it's a huge plus for any gun with a full size grip like your P226.

Good luck and let us know were we can help! :)

Here is my setup for lazy carry.
then add this

M&P 40c with a Streamlight TLR6. Standard 10 rounds mags of 40 S&W 165 gr FTX Critical Defense.

I guess I'm a total fool, but I pocket carry a Rohrbaugh 9mm. I know a pocket draw ain't the best option, but when I feel the need my hand goes into my pocket and is wrapped around the pistol. Nobody knows what I am holding. The Rohrbaugh was marketed as the gun you carry a lot and seldom shoot. The mainspring has to be replaced every 500 rounds. It's the size of most 380's and looks a lot like the Remington 380. Unfortunately they went bust and Remington bought them so it's no longer in production (are available on Gun Broker), but when it was is it was very expensive at about $1000. I figured I'm worth it. Has a nasty jolt when shot.

Folks, just got a G3 and trying to figure this whole thing out. Im 6'2 and 250 pounds. Have a gut---Doc says I should be at 205 but food is just too good. Actually this carry delimma is giving me a great reason to lose weight but in the mean time, I have other problems. Im right handed but have a torn rotator cuff. Cant reach around to the back and its hard to draw up from my side if the gun is at belt level. A cross draw from under my left shoulder is perfect for my right arm but I cant find any way to keep the G3 under my arm with out anything showing through the shirt. Ive looked for a holster set up to under your belt/pants on the left side, situated so you could pull it out cross style with the left hand..haven't seen any. Just placing the gun inside my left belt/pants causes it to dig into my lower side/hip hard when I sit or bend. I had polio and my left butt/leg is smaller, which mean I have to keep my pants tight like a guy above or they fall down. I could keep it straight in front and down the pants but I have my other 'gun' there and don't want it hurt, lol BTW, Wow the G3 is the best gun 'for the money' Ive ever had.

Hi All. So, this thread got me to rethinking my carry methods and the necessary equipment. I hate it when that happens :s0114: Anyhoo, this weekend I dove back into my drawer of Misfit Holsters reviewing yet again my previous holster purchases while asking myself, "Why?". IWB, OWB, kydex, leather, hybrids, ... you all know the drill. At least once I found myself asking my wife, "Does this holster make my gun look to big?". It was one big fashionista trial. I cannot in good conscience bring myself to dispose of any of my misfit holsters 'cause gosh dangit I might need it some day for something. :rolleyes: I carry things in 45acp size... 1911s and Sig P220s. I was happy to rediscover that I did not have anything better in my collection than that which I was already using for EDC. OWB- range and property carry some sturdy leather holsters. With a long cover garment I could wear these into town for short trips to the stores. IWB- a little more challenging. I'm an old guy 5'10" and and 200lbs. I have leather holsters [Biancci/Relentless Tactical] and still use a Remora beltless holster for driving mostly. It is absolutely comfortable sitting for extended road trips and the holster never moves. I have had this particular one over the last couple of years and it has served me well. Thanks, end of my story. The moral- keep looking OP! You will find a combo that works for you and your situations.

You may have to take a look at your clothing. If you have clothing that is too form fitting and thin, then you will have a problem with a large frame printing.

Apologies if someone already pointed this out

You may have to take a look at your clothing. If you have clothing that is too form fitting and thin, then you will have a problem with a large frame printing.

Apologies if someone already pointed this out
Yup, pants need to go up a waist size to accommodate iwb carry. Size up on the shirts as cover garnets and your good to go carrying virtually any size pistol.

Consider carrying appendix and DEFINITELY get a good quality, thick belt. Id go with Oneshotindustries or similar, this Ferro Concepts belt i have is meh. @mkwerx gave excellent info about ride height and the pistol dimensions that MATTER. Im 5'10 and probably 170 or less if the guys in this thread that said they're 180 are really 180. G45 with an RMR and X300U and a 19 round spare mag in a TREX Arms Sidecar. Great holsters, Ive had three. I wear wife-beater underneath to keep it rubbing a glock sized smooth patch into stomach. It also makes gripping the gun WAY faster. I wear almost exclusively Levi 511's which are the skinny/slim but have hella stretch in the thighs and waist, they make a huge difference. I went up to a 33" waist for comfort while sitting and driving. The issue is the light sometimes digs into my thigh but nothing a quick readjusting cant fix. Also, if you go Appendix, you may need to change the side you dress on, if you catch my drift.

Also, no one notices printing- except other people who carry and are ACTIVELY looking. Overblown fear. :s0055:
IMG_3380 (1).JPG IMG_3383.JPG

@shoengine
As you can see, everyone has an opinion and most are quite good. there are no absolutes. The best place to conceal and the best way to carry is 1. the one that you will use every day so it has to be comfortable and 2. the one that allows you to get shots on target every time fast.

Whatever you wind up with, pick one and stick with it. Train to it every day. Although I have many firearms, I have but one Carry gun and never mix & match. Every handgun in my cabinet has the same basic mechanics (safety down to fire if there is one and even with my striker fire pistols, I still train the same movement of disengaging the safety when one doesn't exist to maintain muscle memory. I've evolved my conceal movement to the exact same motion regardless of what I'm wearing (and I never wear anything that would break that) and every day, when I get dressed, before I put my pistol in the holster, I practice clearing and placing my hand exactly where the firearm should be 10 to 20 times.

Just remember, it takes 3.7 rounds to stop a determined aggressor (on average in 9mm & .40 cal) and based on the mathematics of trajectory and momentum, (not going to get into it here) you would could need to deliver 4 rounds in 1 second (1/4 second splits) to the thoracic cavity. Draw to first round should be 1.5 seconds so be careful deciding on pocket draws etc. If, at any time you want to sit down and go over options and how all that works, give me a shout. We have a "CHL skill builder" class that covers a lot of that. [CHL Skill Builder - Defensive Arts Center]

Reach out to Cascadia Concealment. I'm sure he can make you something that carries better. I've been 100% impressed with his products, and that's pretty rare for me.
I've been checking the site on and off since you posted this, and the stock level has never replenished for IWB holsters. I tried emailing the contact info and it just bounces.

Consider carrying appendix and DEFINITELY get a good quality, thick belt. Id go with Oneshotindustries or similar, this Ferro Concepts belt i have is meh. @mkwerx gave excellent info about ride height and the pistol dimensions that MATTER. Im 5'10 and probably 170 or less if the guys in this thread that said they're 180 are really 180. G45 with an RMR and X300U and a 19 round spare mag in a TREX Arms Sidecar. Great holsters, Ive had three. I wear wife-beater underneath to keep it rubbing a glock sized smooth patch into stomach. It also makes gripping the gun WAY faster. I wear almost exclusively Levi 511's which are the skinny/slim but have hella stretch in the thighs and waist, they make a huge difference. I went up to a 33" waist for comfort while sitting and driving. The issue is the light sometimes digs into my thigh but nothing a quick readjusting cant fix. Also, if you go Appendix, you may need to change the side you dress on, if you catch my drift.

Also, no one notices printing- except other people who carry and are ACTIVELY looking. Overblown fear. :s0055:
View attachment 654201View attachment 654202
what he said. I use a Trexarms sidecar and a ares gear belt. Throw a CAT TQ in your back pocket and you're set.

Reach out to Cascadia Concealment. I'm sure he can make you something that carries better. I've been 100% impressed with his products, and that's pretty rare for me.
I staked out that site for months and never saw the IWB available for order. Popped by today and lo and behold! the IWB was available! So I ordered one. Can't wait...

Screenshot_20220509-090236_Inbox.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews