JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had a CPL for a few years now but rarely leave the house with my weapon. This is due mostly to how hard a time I have concealing my pistol. It is a P226 and even with an IWB kydex holster, my shirts all get caught on it with any torso bending. My thoughts are the gun is just too big. I'm 6'1, 230 so I don't think it is my size. Should I be looking for a smaller gun?

Show us a photo of your EDC in the holster, it could be the gun and/or something about the holster, is your shirt tucked in or not? OR..... it could be that you don't carry it enough and you "perceive" that your shirt is catching on it when it really isn't, because it feels unfamiliar.

;)

Passport is there for scale (no deck of cards handy...)

IMG_20200115_2140043~2.jpg

I practiced in front of a mirror, and my shirts did get caught up on the back of the gun every time I bent over.

I'm 6'1" and 195. I EDC a full sized gun with a light easily. I'd try a different holster.

Passport is there for scale (no deck of cards handy...)

View attachment 650442

I practiced in front of a mirror, and my shirts did get caught up on the back of the gun every time I bent over.

I'm 6'1" and 195. I EDC a full sized gun with a light easily. I'd try a different holster.

IMHO the grip is too high above the belt loops. If you can, raise the loops (to lower the entire holster assembly) at least half the distance of the space between the top of the clip and the front-strap of the grip.

Otherwise, like KJ said get a different holster.... maybe a hybrid leather/kydex holster.

Not a significant difference size wise between the Sig 226 and the M11, I'm 5' 10"ish, 185ish and the M11 conceals easily for me. @Stomper is right, you need to get the Sig more below your belt line, adjust that holster or replace it with one that achieves that.

Carry my M11 in a BlackPoint tactical, as pictured below. It sits low on the belt line as pictured. Doesn't get caught on my shirt and disappears, try a shirt one size larger than you normally wear, you might be surprised how well it works. Don't mind the wrinkled shirt, it's the end of the day....

Disclosure: photos were taken with a mirror, I right hand carry although it appears to be left hand...

23593146-4101-4F6A-BAD6-682741E2B95F.jpeg
DBA1BCA4-9E23-4DFB-B3DA-D1AB0E516907.jpeg
D4549BA0-5396-4A30-BD1A-ADEA584357CE.jpeg
6289924C-13CF-4539-BBBE-44529C09B5E3.jpeg

You're not a lot smaller than me - I'm 6'4" and about 260 at the moment. Carry full size every day. The gun should ride just far enough above the belt that you can get a full grip on it. Realisitcally, until you start down-sizing your caliber to go to mouse-gun territory - service-caliber pistols are about the same length behind the ejection port. A Sig P228 / 229 / 239 for example isn't really different in the length of the slide that rides above your belt. Grip length and muzzle length are different. But you could have a Glock 26 (baby glock double stack 9mm) and aside from the grip being 1" shorter than a Glock 17 - its got the same junk in the trunk on the back end.

With the right holster, a guy your size should be able to conceal a Desert Eagle.

I have that exact holster you carry in for my M&P. First - ditch the crappy clips. I've given them a multitude of chances and found only one way that they even work reliably without popping free randomly throughout the day - and that was to move them OFF the wings, bolt them to the front face, and make that holster into an appendix carry holster, which also utilizes one of the belt loops as a lever. I then lock the holster in place using my belt (I wear a nylon Wilderness Frequent Flyer that secures the end of the belt with velcro) and it doesn't move around or pop free. Its no more comfortable, or easier to take off or put on than the rig I usually carry in.

Here's how I modified that holster:

xuzxcgf.jpg

sDBbKav.jpg

And how I wear it:

qEbrND4.jpg

MymUZZb.jpg

2bmdozY.jpg

4K4nhr1.jpg

Not sure what you do for a living, so your mileage may vary, but I've found a carry solution that works very well for me - my day is comprised of a lot of sitting (driving) coupled by moving, bending, reaching, leaning in weird positions - no problems with the shirt catching on the gun, riding up and revealing it when I don't want it to, or otherwise printing.

Here's my EDC holster, which I wear 95% of the time I'm carrying this gun (which is also about 95% of the time I'm armed)

JorVxR7.jpg

rYCoKRO.jpg

KaOUbdj.jpg

vWZrRar.jpg

Most days, I carry with the shirt tucked in. It looks a tad more professional. Some days I go untucked. Some days I wear a polo shirt to work (untucked)

Don't give up on your P226 just yet - you just need a better carry system. You may want to consider going Outside the Waist Band too - something like a Galco Fletch, a Raven Concealment Phantom, or any of the other myriad of OWB pancake style hoslters will work. Heck, even that Eclipse carries nicely in the OWB mode.

Make sure you're using a good belt too. Not something floppy and soft - you need something with a good bit of stiffness to support the weight of the gun. If leather is your thing, Ted Blocker makes excellent belts. If nylon is your thing - Wilderness is hard to beat, tho you may want something more "high speed" like a Blue Alpha, or the SOE Cobra belt. A soft belt and a gun riding too high is a recipe for printing and problems. Also a recipe for pain, because a belt that doesn't properly support the weight of the gun is going to make hotspots a problem, the gun will sit weird, dig in weird, and just not be comfortable to carry. The right rig will be all-day comfortable - the 18 Hour Bra, but for guns if you will. If you just want something a little shorter, a little lighter - you could trade to a Sig M11 or P229, or the P228A1 and stay with the manual of arms you're used to. Or go striker fired - get an M&P 2.0 Compact, a Glock 19 or 23, P320 compact... too many good gun options to list. But don't be afraid to carry a full size gun.

I've had a CPL for a few years now but rarely leave the house with my weapon. This is due mostly to how hard a time I have concealing my pistol. It is a P226 and even with an IWB kydex holster, my shirts all get caught on it with any torso bending. My thoughts are the gun is just too big. I'm 6'1, 230 so I don't think it is my size. Should I be looking for a smaller gun?
If u want to carry 9mm all the time easily another option is the sig p938 in an IWB holster (there are some good tuckable options out there) or pocket holster such as Alabama holster. It's about as small as U can get for 9mm and is comparable size wise to an lcp 380.

I carry mine in front pocket with Alabama holster. Never is in the way and doesn't print. Here r a couple pics from internet in jeans with Alabama holster:
03408D45-E823-41E4-A908-55637B54E0E0.png
EBB093AA-0235-4206-8E98-EF6E5E6CE686.jpeg
FC28279C-2D58-43DD-B0F3-80F3476CC201.jpeg
If u want an option to carry "something" when u can't carry anything else the 22mag NAA revolvers r an option. These r obviously limited compared to a bigger gun but for those times u can't carry anything bigger it's an option (or as a backup to a larger gun). I carry mine in a little knife holster on my belt and at 6 oz I literally never know it's there and never take it off.
95D18860-E9D2-4ED3-A041-AEC0CEB816EA.jpeg
FF61EAF0-2A91-44F9-8443-4BB3FC61777D.jpeg
BD29401A-FBBF-4CF3-9EFE-06CB878F67DA.jpeg
5E842F0C-3AAC-4339-A789-B8BAC6549C37.jpeg

One time a little old lady saw a part of my gun under my shirt when I bent over and she choked on her dentures and died.

not really

Huge barrel-chested no-butt guy here... I'm just one big upside down pear. Lucky my pants alone stay up. Without a flexible-stretchy belt my pants either fall - or I'm belted up so tight I can't breath... (and they still fall...) So I'm a shoulder carry guy now. Never looking back. Comfy - secure - discrete.
Besides - I'm always in an over shirt or jacket. Galco and a P226.

Huge barrel-chested no-butt guy here... I'm just one big upside down pear. Lucky my pants alone stay up. Without a flexible-stretchy belt my pants either fall - or I'm belted up so tight I can't breath... (and they still fall...) So I'm a shoulder carry guy now. Never looking back. Comfy - secure - discrete.
Besides - I'm always in an over shirt or jacket. Galco and a P226.
My wife suggested the shoulder holster as she looked and can't actually find my hips. I can wear a belt and keep my pants up without stopping blood flow to my lower extremities, but I wear my pants pretty low (I think... a whole hand below my belly button). I'd like to get the IWB to work, but certainly having options would be good, and it isn't like another holster and straps are going to put me back as far as another gun.

She carries a Glock 17 in a kydex IWB fairly comfortably (aside from the weight on her back) but she can also optionally wear belts, so her situation is different.

No secret.

You spent decades and dozens of gun/holster combinations befor you get it right.
What? Its true and you all know it!

I can say. When you get it right? You'll be undressing at night, and realize your packin..

Oh ya.
A belt. Don't underestimate a good belt.

I'm in the same boat as many at 6' and 290#. Cary a P228, P320C or M&P9 with no problem. The P228 replaced a P226. I use Pancake style holsters IWB and QWB but, all with an FBI (15*) cant, that makes a world of difference in concealability!

@ilikegunspdx I never thought of the front pocket, and I can see that is definitely where the shorter profile guns would work better. I do think I'd benefit from having a smaller pistol in addition to the 226.

@mkwerx that is a lot of information, thanks for sharing your experiences with this. I never thought of modifying the holster itself. I did have problems with the clips staying on the belt, and the huge wingspan made side carrying completely impractical.

@Stomper how far above the belt should the gun rise? It felt like I had a yard stick sticking out of my pants when wearing it before.

Thanks for all the info. It will take a while to go through this all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top