JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
D5D6E4DD-A6FA-4397-8488-4523209D2162.jpeg Hey, everybody!

I recently bought myself a Sig P226. Of course it isn't the typical choice for a concealed carry gun, but I prioritize the qualities of a full sized all metal gun and am willing to overcome the difficulties of carrying it. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has any recommendations for which holster would work best. It is one of the more obscure models of the popular 226, so I need to make sure to get a holster specific to the model. I do intend to conceal this gun on my person, the real challenge being in the warmer seasons with minimal layers of clothing to cover it up. Where can I find a quality holster for this not so typical carry choice?

Sig Sauer P226 Alloy Stainless Elite Model with Rail

Personally I wont use anything anymore other than a Vedder holster. As far as kydex holsters go they are the most versatile with adjustable retention, cant and ride height. You can find many holsters with 1 or 2 of those features but almost none but Vedder with all 3 and the clips they use lock on to your belt VERY good which I love. For a full size gun like yours though you may want to look into one of the hybrid holsters with a leather or neoprene backing and a kydex shell like alien gear has. The double clip retention that those hybrid holsters use will distribute the weight of the gun and support it more evenly. I dont have experience with that type of holster personally but have a buddy that has an alien gear one for his full size S&W M&P and loves it and it seems well made.

For IWB, look at either the Hidden Hybrid or Crossbreed Hybrid for your sweet P226 ASE. I carry my S&W 5906 in a Galco Fletch High Rise OWB Holster which would be a good OWB choice.

My personal opinion. Springfield Armory full size XD Tactical .45 5" Blue Ambo Safety. 13+1. Poly frame. A big handgun. CrossBreed Supertuck inside the pants paddle holster with the tan horsehide upgrade. Non combat cutaway. The big handgun disappears under a somewhat loose thin tee shirt.

I am left handed. 6' 1", 200 pounds. 36 inch waist. Eight o'clock position. Also two, (2) two 13 rd inside the pants magazine paddle holsters The combination is very comfy. Sixteen hour days CC easy. You forget you are packing 66 rounds of .45 Super. Absolutely quiet after a short break in.

About the only two things I would improve might be captive leather belt loops to secure the stuff to the belt. The stock steel clips can also be pulled open and ruined during take-away disarmament drills. Also add a level 3 gun retainment system. Understand that your belt loops will need moving around.

As mentioned you really need to offer more info. How do YOU wish to carry and what price range? Few who have carried for long do not end up with several holsters that don't work for them. They get relegated to a junk box, sold, or given away. Like guns there is just too many choices. Main choice is how do you like to carry. Even this is a very individual taste thing. Tell us that, then the price range you are looking for and many can offer what they like.

As mentioned you really need to offer more info. How do YOU wish to carry and what price range? Few who have carried for long do not end up with several holsters that don't work for them. They get relegated to a junk box, sold, or given away. Like guns there is just too many choices. Main choice is how do you like to carry. Even this is a very individual taste thing. Tell us that, then the price range you are looking for and many can offer what they like.

Aint that the truth. I have drawers full of "this is gonna be the one" holsters.
I need to have a holster yard sale one of these days.

I have an Alien Gear OWB paddle holster for my P226
Works well for the range and it fits all my guns except for the one with a light.
frjFeTEl.jpg
Got a drop leg kit with it also.
krTUVo8l.jpg

I used to pack around a P220 in a Crossbreed Supertuck @ 4:00
All of my IWB holsters are Stealthgear and any future ones IWB or OWB will be from them.
Takes a bit to receive it but it is worth it.

I can wear these all day and not be all sweaty like a leather backed holster.
z0QcrQ0l.jpg
Z1meUn7l.jpg

Aint that the truth. I have drawers full of "this is gonna be the one" holsters.
I need to have a holster yard sale one of these days.

Yep when I first heard about Ebay that was how I got started. By then I had a box of old holsters. Many of them looked new they had been used so little. I started putting them up there and they sold. I thought hey, I finally found a way to get rid of these and actually get a few bucks back! I had tried to give them away, and almost thrown some out at one point.

Thanks everyone for the insightful input. The reason I kept it vague is because I wanted to hear as many different options as possible. I just want to conceal it, that usually means IWB but OWB can still be concealed depending on what you're wearing so I wanted to keep that option open. Also, for where I wish to carry, even though it's a hammer fired gun with a heavy first trigger pull, my fiancé doesn't want me carrying appendix. So I think I'll spare her worrying and just carry around the 4 o'clock

More. I forgot to add, (old age!) that Levi "shrink to fit" 501 button fly pants work very well. Be sure to get a waist size 4 to 6 inches larger to compensate for the planned hot water washing and hot drying to slowly shrink the pants for a perfect fit while packing all the aforementioned iron. With the XD the four, (4) reload mags balances out the load nicely. Do not forget the suspenders if necessary to keep your pants on. :)

Still more. Why 66 rounds one asks? The answer is Cave Junction SW Oregon. No law enforcement most of the time. None. Natural law. Dodge City. Tombstone. Expect no backup. Yikes!

For a larger, heavier gun, I like Milt Sparks Nexus, this one is horsehide and steer... I opted for the magnetic belt look, easy on, easy off and they've never failed to stay closed... here it's coddling a Colt Combat Commander XSE...

4A0D5436-D4DB-4856-A1C6-DA39AB039916.jpeg

If it's of any use to your search, I carry a full size 1911 in a Don Hume IWB. It's leather, not the tacticool kydex. I have one of those (OWB), too, but just for range use.

Depending on your frame and clothing just be aware that a gun that size is very likely to print or get exposed while reaching for something on the top shelf at the grocery store. I do wear a full sized 1911, in winter. With certain clothing combos it can work in summer as well but still run into the possibilities of not being as concealed as some other options. Just food for thought.

For holsters I use a Vedder LightDraw OWB and a DeSantis (1CL for a 1911) or a custom from Bitterroot Gunleather.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top