Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Concealed Carry for WA 18 year olds

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by twoclones, Jan 27, 2010.

1. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. twoclones

This morning, I sent this message to my WA State Representatives and Senator.

3. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if it gets anywhere.

4. twoclones

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

6. wichaka

I would doubt Cali allows 18 yr olds to carry, when they have such a restriction on firearms.

7. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

I lived in San Diego for 18 years and tried to get a ccw a dozen times and never succeeded and never new anybody that did get one. I am suprized that they let police carry because they are so screwed up in general.

As for this bill I don't see it going anywhere anyways and I am kind of glad. I don't feel MOST 18 year olds are mature enough these days to be carrying a sidearm. I know many will disagree but it is true. Oh well I will be the minority for once on a topic.

8. wichaka

Yep, we are all screwed up. We should have our entrails gutted and hung out for all to see! :D

9. Scott

I did not mean the police. I meant the state, government and laws in general. I see I did not word the right.

10. sillyrabbit

sillyrabbit Salem, Oregon Member

Hey Scott,
    I'm just curious if you will...........? :huh: How is it 18 years of age is mature enough to vote, mature enough to handle a 4000# deadly weapon (car) AND are mature enough to carrry weapons in the military and DIE if necessary for this country........... yet when they come home they're not mature enough? Just asking?:confused:

11. twoclones

I gave that exact point some consideration before deciding to support this bill. What swayed me is realizing that I've met plenty of 'adults' who will never be mature enough to carry a firearm and they are legally allowed.

'Emancipated and defenseless' is a good definition of "Prey".

12. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Soo First WA Tries to Ban assault weapons and now they are trying to make it ok for 18 year olds to CC? odd

13. Scott

Do I think MOST 18 year olds are mature enough to vote? No I don't. I bet if you took a poll of most 18 year olds and asked who is the vice president of America they would not know. Plus that is a easy answer and a lot of adult cannot answer as well. Also look at the amount of teen DUI's and accidents and they are the highest group of people killed in auto's.

Plus in the military you are under constant supervision and you cannot carry whenever you feel like it. I spent 10 years in the service and could never carry whenever I wanted to. You have to check weapons in and out and you could not just take it home. Plus we trained almost everyday and not just range time. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of training and enough to make you sick. Book work, manuals and just sitting and breaking down and putting together. So I don't think there is any comparison from a 18 year old in the service vs. the 18 year old high school graduate. Total different experience.

Don't get me wrong, I did not say all kids I said most and many adults should not have weapons as well. Plus this is just my opinion and I work with a lot of kids and I have 2 as well. Carry guns is a huge responsibility. Just something to think about.

Scott

14. twoclones

To add to the oddity, both bills were sponsored by Democrats. :) Must be an election year...

15. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Democrats supporting gun bills? No way!

How is an 18 year old supposed to carry a gun, when the law says you have to be 21 to purchase a gun and ammo from a dealer? It would hinder the CC 18 year old holder to have someone else buy them a gun and or ammo.

So they can carry a gun concealed but they cant buy alcohol? Even in Canada the legal drinking age is 19.

16. Weathermaker

Weathermaker Washington Member

Hmmm. I carried a 1911A1 as a sidearm every day for 3 years when I was in the Army. So did all of my unit. Most of us were only 17 and 18 years old when we started.

Edited to add: And no, we did not have supervision. But, those were different times and, I think, maturity levels were more advanced than there are today.

17. twoclones

The bill also amends related RCW to reflect the lowered age requirement. It took a little digging and following references before I found all of those items.

18. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

I agree with scott to a certain degree. Just three years ago I was eighteen myself, and from my personal experiences there are very few people I would trust in my age group to carry a concealed weapon (barring military). The way I hear most of my age group talk about guns from when I was in highschool to the present makes me nervous and this current generation, in my opinion, has a lack of morals and responsibilty. Just my opinions here and I'm not trying to say that all are bad apples, but enough to make me think twice about this bill. What twoclones said makes sense to me, your daughter should be able to protect herself especially when going off to a new environment that has the potential for hostility (especially if she's goin to the UW) and the fact that she was raised around firearms gives her the knowledge and responsibilty to carry a gun, but it's the rest who weren't that I worry about. I can't help but think that they will view it as a license to kill. Just my two cents here...

19. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

I hope this passes, but the main hurdle i see is, why would you need to conceal something you cannot buy. I am not 100% on washington laws. But generally it is not ok for someone under 21 to buy a handgun.

20. Newcastle

Newcastle Newcastle Member

Horrible idea in my opinion. An 18 (or younger) year old carrying around a weapon unsupervised is asking for trouble.