JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Only once........ and it was not good.

When I was walking out of a local store there was a guy asking everyone for money. He says to me "hey, I know you. You're a C.O. (corrections officer) right?" I ignore him and keep on going. Well he starts following me and keeps saying your a C.O. from xyz jail. Well as I pass my car pretending I am parked elsewhere I reached down to make sure my 40 was ready to go and discover I had left it on the kitchen counter.

I was very, very lucky he did not start anything. Now I triple check before I leave the house!!

Last Edited:
Only when I forgot the holster too - and usually it's not forgetting so much as choosing to leave it at home, which is rare.

I store my gun in it's holster - I use an IWB with snap strap attachments instead of belt loops. Unless the gun is in my hands or otherwise being examined or handled, I leave it in it's holster. I do tend to forget things - so for the most important things I have developed habits and rituals to make sure I have what I need. Everything except my gun gets left in my work pants for the next day, or pre-loaded before I put the pants on when I put a new pair on. When the belt goes on, so does my multi tool, primary flash light, and magazine carrier. Wallet goes in rear pocket, primary work knife gets clipped to the front pants pocket. When the pants come on - the holster goes into place before the belt gets cinched up, as the snap straps secure the tag end of the belt. Shirt gets tucked in over the gun, then secondary flash light (pen style) gets clipped into my pocket, or if I'm in a polo, it gets clipped in between the buttons at the neck, along with an ink pen.

I rarely forget things anymore, as I do this every day as soon as I get up. More often than not, when I forget something leaving the house - it's my coffee cup full of coffee. When I deviate from my normal routines is when I get stung and forget important things - like the other night I ordered something from Amazon, forgot to put my wallet back in my pants. Got a text from my wife at noon the next day with a picture of my driver's license. An "oh, *****" moment. After dropping my customer off, I untucked my shirt and headed straight home to retrieve it. Since I drive for a living, and occasionally find myself dealing with weigh masters, police, etc - I absolutely had to have my DL on me, and since I carry concealed every day, I had to have that card too to be legal.

Same with other items - 99% of the time I leave my other work related items in the truck. If I bring them in to finish up paper work at home, or go over something, I have often had to turn around and come back home to get them.

Routines, habits, ruts - whatever you call them, they sure serve a purpose.

I'm pretty fortunate in that my carry piece is in the closet where my clothes are (walk-in style). So when I put my pants on and cinch up my belt, it's obvious that my firearm has not been holstered. My routine is putting on pants/cinching belt, holstering my weapon, putting on shirt. Even if I walk to the bathroom before putting my shirt on I'll have holstered my weapon.

Obviously, I'm not going to guarantee this will be 100%, but so far the routine works well for me. :)

Oh yes. My holster stays on my belt and on some days wear the pants from yesterday (gasp).

Today had the opposite "problem". Wore my Glock G-21 on the belt, and forgot that I already had the Smith J-frame in the right front pocket in a Galco Pocket Protector.

Out on the job, I found the Smith 638 and thought to myself, "think you brought enough guns today, Butch?" ...remembering the excessive dynamite in the Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid movie where the railroad mail car is obliterated. :rolleyes:

We are creatures of habit yet we can't remember if we just locked the door:D If you want to remember to take your gun with you then put your car keys with it, make it a habit.o_O
That's a hella idea, car keys in the handgun safe! Keep the teenagers out of the car too, lol! :rolleyes:

Only when I forgot the holster too - and usually it's not forgetting so much as choosing to leave it at home, which is rare.

I store my gun in it's holster - I use an IWB with snap strap attachments instead of belt loops. Unless the gun is in my hands or otherwise being examined or handled, I leave it in it's holster. I do tend to forget things - so for the most important things I have developed habits and rituals to make sure I have what I need. Everything except my gun gets left in my work pants for the next day, or pre-loaded before I put the pants on when I put a new pair on. When the belt goes on, so does my multi tool, primary flash light, and magazine carrier. Wallet goes in rear pocket, primary work knife gets clipped to the front pants pocket. When the pants come on - the holster goes into place before the belt gets cinched up, as the snap straps secure the tag end of the belt. Shirt gets tucked in over the gun, then secondary flash light (pen style) gets clipped into my pocket, or if I'm in a polo, it gets clipped in between the buttons at the neck, along with an ink pen.

I rarely forget things anymore, as I do this every day as soon as I get up. More often than not, when I forget something leaving the house - it's my coffee cup full of coffee. When I deviate from my normal routines is when I get stung and forget important things - like the other night I ordered something from Amazon, forgot to put my wallet back in my pants. Got a text from my wife at noon the next day with a picture of my driver's license. An "oh, *****" moment. After dropping my customer off, I untucked my shirt and headed straight home to retrieve it. Since I drive for a living, and occasionally find myself dealing with weigh masters, police, etc - I absolutely had to have my DL on me, and since I carry concealed every day, I had to have that card too to be legal.

Same with other items - 99% of the time I leave my other work related items in the truck. If I bring them in to finish up paper work at home, or go over something, I have often had to turn around and come back home to get them.

Routines, habits, ruts - whatever you call them, they sure serve a purpose.

Some good ideas, but leaving a loaded gun in a holster clipped to my belt isn't an option with a child in the house and wouldn't be an option for many others. But like you, I do set things out the night before, loading pockets, etc. My issue was that I'd have the holster sitting out, get myself dressed, and forget to go retrieve the gun from the secured location to pop it in the holster. Taking advice from a few here, I now keep the gun in the holster in the secured location so I'm more likely to notice I'm missing something since it doesn't feel right without the holster in its usual spot. Haven't forgotten once since I switched to that method.

Can't recall forgetting to take it with me, but I frequently forget I have it on me... which can also be an issue. For instance, I once went to pick up a family member at the airport and almost walked in carrying, but remembered at the last minute and went all the way out to the parking lot to put it in a safe I keep in the car for such occasions. Luckily I've never strolled through metal detectors or into a police station or courthouse without having previously remembered to remove it.

Sorry, sort of off topic, but the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

Can't recall forgetting to take it with me, but I frequently forget I have it on me... which can also be an issue. For instance, I once went to pick up a family member at the airport and almost walked in carrying, but remembered at the last minute and went all the way out to the parking lot to put it in a safe I keep in the car for such occasions. Luckily I've never strolled through metal detectors or into a police station or courthouse without having previously remembered to remove it.

Sorry, sort of off topic, but the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

Been halfway through a parking lot before and "Oops, I have to go back to the car. Be right back."

@I-Shoot If you do not go past security, you may posses a firearm at the airport. (How else could you declare one in checked baggage.) The security line is your DMZ.

(unless you were open carry in which case, legal or not I wouldn't do that)

All the above stories are interesting but nothing compared to leaving the house in your patrol car, making a traffic stop and discovering that your holster is empty. What an empty feeling all around.

Walked into a music shop once and when I came out I found my pistol sitting on the driver seat in plain sight where I put it while I am driving. Nothing bad happened except for feeling like an idiot.

Some good ideas, but leaving a loaded gun in a holster clipped to my belt isn't an option with a child in the house and wouldn't be an option for many others. But like you, I do set things out the night before, loading pockets, etc. My issue was that I'd have the holster sitting out, get myself dressed, and forget to go retrieve the gun from the secured location to pop it in the holster. Taking advice from a few here, I now keep the gun in the holster in the secured location so I'm more likely to notice I'm missing something since it doesn't feel right without the holster in its usual spot. Haven't forgotten once since I switched to that method.

Maybe wasn't quite clear - the gun lives in it's holster - the holster gets removed from my pants every night when I take them off. I too have a little one in the house, so the gun gets put away at night, but in it's holster. I'm so used to it's feel - it feels wrong to put my pants on without it there, and the gun/holster combo goes on when the pants come on in the morning.

Maybe wasn't quite clear - the gun lives in it's holster - the holster gets removed from my pants every night when I take them off. I too have a little one in the house, so the gun gets put away at night, but in it's holster. I'm so used to it's feel - it feels wrong to put my pants on without it there, and the gun/holster combo goes on when the pants come on in the morning.

Got it. That's actually what I'm doing now, based on the suggestions here. The gun lives in the holster, and so far, I've not forgotten it since changing to this method.

I store mine in its holster and more often find myself patting down to ensure I still/actually have it on; it is so comfortable. It does seem that I am checking for a wallet and phone. No concerns that the anti gunners are noticing my concealed carry.

I always have my EDC piece on my person with the exception of my employer's property. When I get up it goes in my robe pocket. When I get dressed it goes on my belt. When I retire for the evening it goes on the nightstand. We love each other.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top