JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I know some of you may give me grief over this, but I'm curious if it's just me, or if any others do it. I go to work early in the morning (5am). As I get ready, I put on my holster, then shortly after, go to get my gun. Because I have a young child in the house, I don't ever leave my gun sitting on a table or countertop, even if I'm planning on holstering it in just a few minutes. It's secured until I grab it to put it in the holster.

Problem is, from time to time, I get ready, and get distracted by something else, only to find myself leaving the house with an empty holster. I've become so accustomed to my holster/pistol, I can sometimes not even tell if I don't have the gun with me. Sometimes I realize early enough that I can go back and get it, but sometimes I don't realize until I get to work, and it's too far to go back.

I don't like the idea of leaving a gun in the car at all times, even locked up, so I have no backup if I walk out without my CC weapon.

So I'm curious, am I the only one that does this? If no, what are some suggestions you fine folks may have that might help a guy remember this important piece of equipment? Be easy on me now ;)

Yep, two weeks ago I was out and realized my holster was empty. I had left the holster and belt on my jeans the night before and forgot to fill the holster before I left home the next day.

Okay, I know some of you may give me grief over this, but I'm curious if it's just me, or if any others do it. I go to work early in the morning (5am). As I get ready, I put on my holster, then shortly after, go to get my gun. Because I have a young child in the house, I don't ever leave my gun sitting on a table or countertop, even if I'm planning on holstering it in just a few minutes. It's secured until I grab it to put it in the holster.

Problem is, from time to time, I get ready, and get distracted by something else, only to find myself leaving the house with an empty holster. I've become so accustomed to my holster/pistol, I can sometimes not even tell if I don't have the gun with me. Sometimes I realize early enough that I can go back and get it, but sometimes I don't realize until I get to work, and it's too far to go back.

I don't like the idea of leaving a gun in the car at all times, even locked up, so I have no backup if I walk out without my CC weapon.

So I'm curious, am I the only one that does this? If no, what are some suggestions you fine folks may have that might help a guy remember this important piece of equipment? Be easy on me now ;)

Wow you are a human.................
It will happen a few times then you won't do it anymore.
My big forget is usually my wallet and I do go back for it no matter how far I got.
Don't forget the gun anymore.:)

Yes I have left it at home before. Better to go without one for a day. Than leave a spare in the car to be stolen.

Now If I forget my handgun. And I'm gona be gone for more than the day. I stop buy a gun store and buy a new one. ;) No really. o_O

I have also carried a semi-auto for days, without a round in the chamber. When I thought there was one.

I did this years ago. Now every time I carry a gun. I pull it out of the holster and check the status. Or I verify the status before I put it in the holster. Why guess. Or feel confident and be wrong?

A unloaded gun could get you killed!

I went out without my 5th gun once. I just felt naked with only 4 on me. But luckily had forgot about the 2 extra mags in my underpants so I was probably ok if sumpin' went down. :)

I wore an empty holster for the day once, too-I felt freaked out when I realized it. o_O
I can relate to putting the holster on, then getting distracted before getting my gun, but after the empty holster day, I've been pretty consistent. I just blame the distraction on age and a super comfy holster that I can't tell whether the gun is in it or not!
Now my gun is either within reach on my headboard, or in it's holster with very few legal exceptions...;)

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I did it today and had to work a very long day, so I was without it for a long time, and I've been carrying long enough, I was keenly aware I was without it all day. Hopefully this helps me remember - and I do like the idea of keeping it in the holster - I don't normally do that, but it would probably be a good idea.

Yes I have left it at home before. Better to go without one for a day. Than leave a spare in the car to be stolen.

Now If I forget my handgun. And I'm gona be gone for more than the day. I stop buy a gun store and buy a new one. ;) No really. o_O

So buying a new gun if I forget mine, this might just be a good thing after all :)

I wore an empty holster for the day once, too-I felt freaked out when I realized it. o_O
I can relate to putting the holster on, then getting distracted before getting my gun, but after the empty holster day, I've been pretty consistent. I just blame the distraction on age and a super comfy holster that I can't tell whether the gun is in it or not!
Now my gun is either within reach on my headboard, or in it's holster with very few legal exceptions...;)

I think it's a testament to more comfortable holsters. I carry an M&P9c in a N82 tactical holster - I can hardly tell I have it on at times, and the gun doesn't add a tremendous amount of weight, so it's possible to have the holster on and miss the gun.

My gun/holster is in my briefcase.
I take my briefcase everywhere, cuz it has my licenses/CC'ds,
etc. in it.
When I leave my truck, I decide whether I want to carry where I am going (lately, it seems to be everywhere)...

Therefore, I never am without, without a conscious thought to be without.......without thinking about whether I want to be without or not.:D

Gun stays in the holster at all times. Used to use a belt holster, so if I forgot my pistol my pants would fall down. Now days I use a shoulder holster. For some reason its just part of getting dressed.

I have done it twice where I put on my holster and then leave in a hurry and forget to holster the gun, I have also a few times when I first started carrying and I just had a cheap holster that would just clip to my belt, I would forget get to actually put my gun and holster on.

The times I did forget it I always went back for it except for once, It has not happened for a long time and if it ever did I would always go back and get it!

That is the reason why I have back up gun at work. Even though my co-workers are anti-gun but still they not saying anything because I give them respects for their believes and they respect mine.

If I have a million things to pack in the truck or if Im in a huge hurry (which is rare)

This entire year all but 3 times did I slip up.
I do carry a knife though so Ive got that haha. But I hate it when I forget. Feels like I left my house door wide open or something.. The day just isnt right without it.. Like forgetting my wallet.

Haven't left my CC piece at home (yet), but I think that may be due at least in part to two things: first, I no longer carry (no permit and getting one seems to much like firearm owner registration for my tastes), and, second, I had developed the bad habit of occasionally checking to make sure it was still there. Nothing overt mind you, just a discrete movement of my elbow, a slight inward press until it makes contact. Most people wouldn't notice - even most people here wouldn't notice. A person trained in behavior detection however...

As far as leaving a firearm in your vehicle goes, I'm with the OP and majority view on this one - bad idea, one that is far more likely to result in a new problem rather then a solution.

Something to help remember... perhaps a short, poetic, mantra comprised of things you want to remember to do prior to leaving home for the day - something like, "I checked my doors and turned the lock, I have my cell so I can talk, and took the puppy for a walk. My EDC is at my side and [all my stuff] is still inside..." You get the idea.

Ex Gladio Libertas

I'm glad to see from the responses that I'm not the only one :) I'll definitely put the suggestion to store the gun in the holster when I'm not wearing it to use - there really is no reason not to. What remains is where I'll forget the gun and the holster at some point ;) It would be easier if I could set the gun out in view, but with a kid in the house, I just can't do that, and as sometimes happens, out of sight is out of mind. The mantra idea is a good one, but I'd probably forget to do it before I left :oops:

Put a post it note on the door you leave out of. I just got my permit and have only carried once but it was weird after a few hours I didnt even notice I was carrying. I thought it would be more noticeable. Guess a comfy holster goes a long way.

Haven't left my CC piece at home (yet), but I think that may be due at least in part to two things: first, I no longer carry (no permit and getting one seems to much like firearm owner registration for my tastes), and, second, I had developed the bad habit of occasionally checking to make sure it was still there. Nothing overt mind you, just a discrete movement of my elbow, a slight inward press until it makes contact. Most people wouldn't notice - even most people here wouldn't notice. A person trained in behavior detection however...

As far as leaving a firearm in your vehicle goes, I'm with the OP and majority view on this one - bad idea, one that is far more likely to result in a new problem rather then a solution.

Something to help remember... perhaps a short, poetic, mantra comprised of things you want to remember to do prior to leaving home for the day - something like, "I checked my doors and turned the lock, I have my cell so I can talk, and took the puppy for a walk. My EDC is at my side and [all my stuff] is still inside..." You get the idea.

Ex Gladio Libertas
Thats whay I OC'd up until Multnoma county passed its anti loaded OC ordinance. I do a bit of business out there and dare not risk not having a loaded firearm. Normally Id inlgnore it but PPD arnet folks I want to tangle with.. Dirty dirty city politics and as anti American as they come.

And I too check and position check, I usually do this with a type of "pat" to the body. Most folks think its a wallet/phone check because Ill check all three body locations in rotation.
(Insert clever rhyme here) ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top