Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Concealed Carry - do you ever forget?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by etrain16, Dec 16, 2014.

1. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Okay, I know some of you may give me grief over this, but I'm curious if it's just me, or if any others do it. I go to work early in the morning (5am). As I get ready, I put on my holster, then shortly after, go to get my gun. Because I have a young child in the house, I don't ever leave my gun sitting on a table or countertop, even if I'm planning on holstering it in just a few minutes. It's secured until I grab it to put it in the holster.

Problem is, from time to time, I get ready, and get distracted by something else, only to find myself leaving the house with an empty holster. I've become so accustomed to my holster/pistol, I can sometimes not even tell if I don't have the gun with me. Sometimes I realize early enough that I can go back and get it, but sometimes I don't realize until I get to work, and it's too far to go back.

I don't like the idea of leaving a gun in the car at all times, even locked up, so I have no backup if I walk out without my CC weapon.

So I'm curious, am I the only one that does this? If no, what are some suggestions you fine folks may have that might help a guy remember this important piece of equipment? Be easy on me now ;)

Nwcid, Michael Js and Monica Cowles like this.
  2. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Yep, two weeks ago I was out and realized my holster was empty. I had left the holster and belt on my jeans the night before and forgot to fill the holster before I left home the next day.

etrain16 likes this.
  3. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Wow you are a human.................
    It will happen a few times then you won't do it anymore.
    My big forget is usually my wallet and I do go back for it no matter how far I got.
    Don't forget the gun anymore.:)

4. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Yes I have left it at home before. Better to go without one for a day. Than leave a spare in the car to be stolen.

Now If I forget my handgun. And I'm gona be gone for more than the day. I stop buy a gun store and buy a new one. ;) No really. o_O

I have also carried a semi-auto for days, without a round in the chamber. When I thought there was one.

I did this years ago. Now every time I carry a gun. I pull it out of the holster and check the status. Or I verify the status before I put it in the holster. Why guess. Or feel confident and be wrong?

A unloaded gun could get you killed!

scdmd, etrain16 and Caveman Jim like this.
  5. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Wallet yes, gun, not without the holster. I store my gun in my Serpa holster. If I have the holster then of course I have my gun.....

Alfonse, U201491 and etrain16 like this.
  6. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I went out without my 5th gun once. I just felt naked with only 4 on me. But luckily had forgot about the 2 extra mags in my underpants so I was probably ok if sumpin' went down. :)

7. Monica Cowles

Monica Cowles Grays Harbor, Washington Member, NRA (Life) USCCA, ACLDN, SAF (Life) Staff Member Silver Supporter

I wore an empty holster for the day once, too-I felt freaked out when I realized it. o_O
    I can relate to putting the holster on, then getting distracted before getting my gun, but after the empty holster day, I've been pretty consistent. I just blame the distraction on age and a super comfy holster that I can't tell whether the gun is in it or not!
    Now my gun is either within reach on my headboard, or in it's holster with very few legal exceptions...;)

Sgt Nambu, alleyoop, U201491 and 2 others like this.
  8. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

Put my gun away in the holster so this will not happen to me. If I am going to forget anything it will be the holster also.

Joe13, oknow, U201491 and 2 others like this.
  9. etrain16

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I did it today and had to work a very long day, so I was without it for a long time, and I've been carrying long enough, I was keenly aware I was without it all day. Hopefully this helps me remember - and I do like the idea of keeping it in the holster - I don't normally do that, but it would probably be a good idea.

So buying a new gun if I forget mine, this might just be a good thing after all :)

I think it's a testament to more comfortable holsters. I carry an M&P9c in a N82 tactical holster - I can hardly tell I have it on at times, and the gun doesn't add a tremendous amount of weight, so it's possible to have the holster on and miss the gun.

WAYNO and Monica Cowles like this.
  10. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

My gun/holster is in my briefcase.
    I take my briefcase everywhere, cuz it has my licenses/CC'ds,
    etc. in it.
    When I leave my truck, I decide whether I want to carry where I am going (lately, it seems to be everywhere)...

Therefore, I never am without, without a conscious thought to be without.......without thinking about whether I want to be without or not.:D

etrain16 likes this.
  11. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Gun stays in the holster at all times. Used to use a belt holster, so if I forgot my pistol my pants would fall down. Now days I use a shoulder holster. For some reason its just part of getting dressed.

etrain16 likes this.
  12. 01rednavigator

01rednavigator salem Active Member

I have done it twice where I put on my holster and then leave in a hurry and forget to holster the gun, I have also a few times when I first started carrying and I just had a cheap holster that would just clip to my belt, I would forget get to actually put my gun and holster on.

The times I did forget it I always went back for it except for once, It has not happened for a long time and if it ever did I would always go back and get it!

etrain16 likes this.
  13. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

As some have already said, I always have the carry guns stored in their holster, which eliminates that issue.

etrain16 likes this.
  14. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

That is the reason why I have back up gun at work. Even though my co-workers are anti-gun but still they not saying anything because I give them respects for their believes and they respect mine.

etrain16 likes this.
  15. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

If I have a million things to pack in the truck or if Im in a huge hurry (which is rare)

This entire year all but 3 times did I slip up.
    I do carry a knife though so Ive got that haha. But I hate it when I forget. Feels like I left my house door wide open or something.. The day just isnt right without it.. Like forgetting my wallet.

Monica Cowles and etrain16 like this.
  16. frauhunter

frauhunter Central Oregon Member

Haven't left my CC piece at home (yet), but I think that may be due at least in part to two things: first, I no longer carry (no permit and getting one seems to much like firearm owner registration for my tastes), and, second, I had developed the bad habit of occasionally checking to make sure it was still there. Nothing overt mind you, just a discrete movement of my elbow, a slight inward press until it makes contact. Most people wouldn't notice - even most people here wouldn't notice. A person trained in behavior detection however...

As far as leaving a firearm in your vehicle goes, I'm with the OP and majority view on this one - bad idea, one that is far more likely to result in a new problem rather then a solution.

Something to help remember... perhaps a short, poetic, mantra comprised of things you want to remember to do prior to leaving home for the day - something like, "I checked my doors and turned the lock, I have my cell so I can talk, and took the puppy for a walk. My EDC is at my side and [all my stuff] is still inside..." You get the idea.

Ex Gladio Libertas

etrain16 likes this.
  17. etrain16

I'm glad to see from the responses that I'm not the only one :) I'll definitely put the suggestion to store the gun in the holster when I'm not wearing it to use - there really is no reason not to. What remains is where I'll forget the gun and the holster at some point ;) It would be easier if I could set the gun out in view, but with a kid in the house, I just can't do that, and as sometimes happens, out of sight is out of mind. The mantra idea is a good one, but I'd probably forget to do it before I left :oops:

18. 1990Turbo

1990Turbo St.Helens Active Member

Put a post it note on the door you leave out of. I just got my permit and have only carried once but it was weird after a few hours I didnt even notice I was carrying. I thought it would be more noticeable. Guess a comfy holster goes a long way.

etrain16 likes this.
  19. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Thats whay I OC'd up until Multnoma county passed its anti loaded OC ordinance. I do a bit of business out there and dare not risk not having a loaded firearm. Normally Id inlgnore it but PPD arnet folks I want to tangle with.. Dirty dirty city politics and as anti American as they come.

And I too check and position check, I usually do this with a type of "pat" to the body. Most folks think its a wallet/phone check because Ill check all three body locations in rotation.
    (Insert clever rhyme here) ;)

etrain16 likes this.
  20. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

Don't worry.....We're here to protect you...........:);):confused::rolleyes::D