JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was told that the oregon firearms academy was the best place to go so I was looking at dates on their website and noticed that you can't bring a .22 which is what I have.
I could rent a different gun for 50 bucks but that seems a little silly since I already have a gun.
Does anyone know of another place that does the class and will allow a .22?
Also does anyone know why they have a no .22 policy?

Jason

I believe that the reason OFA requires quality centerfire pistols and new ammo is for the same reason that all of the other reputable schools do.
Almost all reliable .22 designs are either target or plinking pistols which lack safeties suitable for rapid presentation from a holster. The ones that do have decent safeties or are double action, except revolvers, are usualy unreliable. Unreliable firearms cause no end of problems in a class setting, both for the student with the problem firearm and the rest of the class as they are waiting for the student to finish. With new shooters it's particularly problematic because they have not developed proper muzzle discipline and will probably sweep the line as they bubblegum around clearing the problem.
Then there is the fact OFA DH1 is a real CHL class. As in preparing you for the possibility you may use a firearm for self defense. If you really think that a .22 is a good choice, well that's your problem. For everyone else you need to be taught to use the tool, and that will be a center fire pistol.
Comparing the basic requirement of a gun safety class with a class like DH1 is like saying the class room drivers ed class in high school is equivalent to a professional skid car class at PIR.

I've seen some classes require .380 ACP as the minimum caliber accepted because anything less isn't considered a defensive round.

But more importantly, is this class for the Oregon CHL? What county requires a gun for the CHL? In Multnomah County, I sat in a two hour class (I don't even remember if there was a test afterwards), and then I got a certificate which I submitted for my CHL. I never had to touch or even look at a gun for that class. In Clackamas County the PSTC class is all classroom and no gun also, although you do get to handle a gun (not yours) near the end of that class, I think. Same with the Utah CHL. You don't need your own gun to get that one either.

I've seen some classes require .380 ACP as the minimum caliber accepted because anything less isn't considered a defensive round.

But more importantly, is this class for the Oregon CHL? What county requires a gun for the CHL? In Multnomah County, I sat in a two hour class (I don't even remember if there was a test afterwards), and then I got a certificate which I submitted for my CHL. I never had to touch or even look at a gun for that class. In Clackamas County the PSTC class is all classroom and no gun also, although you do get to handle a gun (not yours) near the end of that class, I think. Same with the Utah CHL. You don't need your own gun to get that one either.

I don't think a gun is required by the state I think its just part of the course.
I also didn't buy a .22 specifically for self defense.
I just bought it to mostly have fun with but figured it would be smart to get a CHL.

American Firearms Training also has an online class for $50. Go through online videos, take a test at the end of each section, and then a final test. Works for the OR concealed permit. No gun needed.

Many of the classes I have looked at that have range work have asked for a .380 or larger.

You could do the online course and then spend the time practicing at the range. Place to shoot runs some regular handgun classes. Not expensive and concentrates on handling the gun - but no holster work.

If your goal is to get the permit with minimal time and $$ invested, then I suggest the online free training class here:

MD Firearms Safety Training

You might not learn much, but it satisfies the requirements for the permit.

I used this online course to get my chl from lane county. It worked fine.:s0155:
A course that involves using an actual firearm as part of the class qualification is not required by oregon to obtain your chl. Only some sort of documented firearms proficiency training is required. I've recommended this online course to several friends who have used it to get their oregon chl. It's worked in at least 3 counties that I know of.:s0155:

American Firearms Training also has an online class for $50. Go through online videos, take a test at the end of each section, and then a final test. Works for the OR concealed permit...

A buddy used this AFT online class to obtain his ccl in Multnomah County, BUT they specifically told him that the MD Firearms Safety Training (cited by others here in the thread) was not acceptable for ccl in this particular county. Just fyi.

Stick, I just PM'd you. I regret I didn't see this thread until after you made your decision to go elsewhere. I sincerely apologize. I just wish I, OFARICK or our Office would have known about your situation and we would have made things right by you before it got this far.

We have work-arounds for almost everything...and we could have worked around this issue I'm certain to your satisfaction had I known about it other than another member emailing me telling me about this thread.

Guys, with over 1200 students traveling from literally around the world to train at OFA we have to put in place certain safety and environmental standards and procedures. Generally speaking if one of our standards or procedures causes a student an undue hardship or problem, assuming we know about it in advanced, we can usually resolve it satisfactory to the student's benefit. Usually. We're not perfect but we try.

Also regarding these other places to train and classes...even if you chose not to train at OFA I would encourage you all to support those who support this forum.

Also if anyone has a question about OFA, our curriculum, standards/procedures or requirements I'd strongly encourage you to email me or call and ask for me at the Office. I'll call you back on my dime to work through these issues or concerns.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top